IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

21 hours ago, turmoni said:

Hey, I see there was an e-mail saying 300 of these have been sent over, congratulations! I'm not expecting this to be an option, since I imagine it could well be more faff than it's worth, but as I'm UK-based it seems pretty wasteful to have something shipped to the US then back here (not to mention the import VAT costs on top of that), so was wondering if there was a slightly less indirect option for those of us more local? Thanks! (And sorry if I've missed something earlier in the thread that already answers this.)

Well the European distributor is planned to be Dragon Box.  I have to assume that SainT is planning to ship a similarly large QTY to them soon?

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/everdrives-flashcarts/lynx-gamedrive

1 hour ago, Alexs said:

I purchased my copy through atariage. Price wise it doesn't seem to matter all that much in comparison with dragonbox even when you include possible import tax... Is there a reason for this? I would have expected it to be €95 or £85 for europe

That's basically the point, the cost wholesale is the same.

If you buy within Europe, you pay VAT when you purchase. If you buy from the USA, it's cheaper, but you pay import and VAT charges when it arrives. It will be £90 in the UK, which is the original £75 pre-VAT price with VAT added.

At current exchange and VAT rates in German it's just over 100 EUR. The price at DragonBox is slightly higher, but this was based on the original wholesale being set in EUR some time ago. I will see about price-pointing better, although it will be me who loses out in general, depending on exchange rates.

2 hours ago, karri said:

So by mail to Finland from Germany is €111.51

The BennVenn version that also emulates eeproms was USD 45 plus shipping USD 24 plus customs €15. Which totals €80. So I believe we get much better value for the money in this one.

Interesting you say that because every order I have received from bennvenn has had the total value devalued to $10 on the shipping label, meaning I never had to pay import duties even when my order was over $100. 

I considered bennvenns option for a while, but SainT's flash card is superior in quality of both software and hardware. Bennvenn is selling his elcheapo lynx carts now, but they don't fit the lynx one yet, and he has to sand down each pcb because he found out it is bending the pins in the cartridge slot. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alexs said:

Interesting you say that because every order I have received from bennvenn has had the total value devalued to $10 on the shipping label, meaning I never had to pay import duties even when my order was over $100. 

I considered bennvenns option for a while, but SainT's flash card is superior in quality of both software and hardware. Bennvenn is selling his elcheapo lynx carts now, but they don't fit the lynx one yet, and he has to sand down each pcb because he found out it is bending the pins in the cartridge slot. 

As much as I hate import duty, etc, incorrectly stating the value of exported items is illegal. The likelihood of being randomly picked at customs is low, but I wonder what sort of implications this could have for a business if you get caught? But then, that is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to legislation and electronics, the hoops you have to jump through to make things ‘right’ is just insane for the small producer... ?

I’ve had no issues with tolerance with the SLS printed cases. In fact they’ve been remarkably good! I expected there may be a little warpage and twist, but I’ve seen very very few cases which I have had to reject. Cartridge fit for the LynxGD has been very good too — gives a nice, positive insertion feel, but not requiring much force. And the extra lip on the rear stops it flapping about on Lynx 2. The same purpose as the raised half-spheres on the original Atari carts.

I am wondering, how do I get one of these sent to Australia? It's just that I tried to figure out what the postal costs would be, yet every time I put in my postcode, it only displays American addresses. This could make the eventual ordering of the cart a bit difficult, so how would I be able to fix this when the time comes for me to order it?

1 minute ago, CLDavi said:

I am wondering, how do I get one of these sent to Australia? It's just that I tried to figure out what the postal costs would be, yet every time I put in my postcode, it only displays American addresses. This could make the eventual ordering of the cart a bit difficult, so how would I be able to fix this when the time comes for me to order it?

Add the Lynx GameDrive to your shopping cart and then begin the checkout process.  You can see the total with shipping before you need to complete the checkout process and pay.

..Al

5 minutes ago, CLDavi said:

These are the rates it shows me for Australia. You need to make sure you have both shipping and billing information entered to calculate the postage.

20200902_034415.jpg

Edited by Alexs

Those rates are correct.  $17.25 is the least expensive postage for a package weighing up to 8 ounces going to Australia.  Between 8 ounces and 2 pounds the rate jumps to $27.75. Fortunately the Lynx GameDrive is light, so it fits within the lowest price tier.  Which is still expensive, but unfortunately those are the actual USPS rates (Australia is one of the most expensive countries to ship to).

..Al

58 minutes ago, karri said:

It does not matter what it says on the packet. There was no value on it as I could see. When customs wants it declared they want a statement from me of what I have paid. So I pay the customs and taxes based on reality.

I live in the Netherlands and they really love to tax things over here. Anything valued above €20 automatically gets 21% VAT and depending on the item, anything with a value of €150 or more additionally gets taxed between 4.7% and 17%. I believe they even count/include the postage fees towards all of this. 

SainT, it sounds like you are getting taken advantage of by all those laws meant for large corporations.  I certainly would only abide to the ones I can't get away with, if I were you ?. Sometimes skirting the rules is worth the penalty. Let's hope that customs is busier with more important things, such as halting the import of weapons. 

JPEG_20200902_064652_3476484299168392672.jpg

Edited by Alexs

2 hours ago, karri said:

t does not matter what it says on the packet. There was no value on it as I could see. When customs wants it declared they want a statement from me of what I have paid. So I pay the customs and taxes based on reality.

It's the same here in Italy.

Yesterday sent to the italian customs the PayPal Bill for the BennVenn LCD rreplacement I ordered in Spring.

Declaring 10 USD without attacching a bill to the package from any vendor that is not a cinese one make the customs stop the package.

• Like 1

Some companies like Monoprice is able to sell its Voxel printer for the same low price in the US and in EU. When I was visiting Portland I wanted to buy a Monoprice Voxel cheap and carry it with me to Finland. But then I tried to figure out what the price would be in EU. To my big surprise Monoprice had just opened an EU store and the sold the same printer to all EU for the same price!

So I just ordered the printer locally and it arrived from Germany in a few days without any tax or customs. It is EU you know.

To make a long story short.... Would it be possible to have a new company like "Lynx Necessities Limited" with presence in the US, EU so that all goodies could be shipped locally?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, karri said:

Some companies like Monoprice is able to sell its Voxel printer for the same low price in the US and in EU. When I was visiting Portland I wanted to buy a Monoprice Voxel cheap and carry it with me to Finland. But then I tried to figure out what the price would be in EU. To my big surprise Monoprice had just opened an EU store and the sold the same printer to all EU for the same price!

So I just ordered the printer locally and it arrived from Germany in a few days without any tax or customs. It is EU you know.

To make a long story short.... Would it be possible to have a new company like "Lynx Necessities Limited" with presence in the US, EU so that all goodies could be shipped locally?

They take the hit on VAT. :) 

If you're a big company and you know 80% of sales are in US and 20% are in Europe, you do the math and offset prices in such a way that you increase the price of your US sales by 5% to allow those sales to pay for the 20% VAT rate (or thereabouts) in Europe and make the prices appear the same to the end user.

To be honest, it's something I've thought about doing as most of my sales are indeed in the US. Although I wouldn't want to increase prices anywhere, I'd just take yet another hit for European sales. I'll have to look at the figures in a while and see if it's viable to do that or at least reduce Euro prices a bit.... takes the piss losing 20% of your revenue to make the price comparable to the US.

3 hours ago, karri said:

It does not matter what it says on the packet. There was no value on it as I could see. When customs wants it declared they want a statement from me of what I have paid. So I pay the customs and taxes based on reality.

That's interesting. In the UK they go by the declared value on the CN22. Some packages will be opened and if there is a difference in the value between the CN22 and the invoice included (if any) then they will obviously go by the invoice value.

Thanks for clarifying this.

The best option for keeping the cost of Lynx gaming low is to use SD-card based carts and download hobby-releases for free. This is the route I try to support.

Collectors is a different thing. The best option is visit Retro events and buy/sell locally. It has the extra benefit of meeting other developers and gamers. Plus the stuff does not need extra packaging to endure posting.

So:

- wear masks
- do social distancing
- do contact tracking with health authorities

and then, perhaps we can beat the pandemic and get back to public events in 2021.

Stay safe!

• Like 1