IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

I make every effort to not purchase from him unless I get a few items from the same system for 99 cents when he finally lets things go to auction and make him lose money since he offers his silly shipping discount. He buys up every rare/semi-rare game from systems and at least doubles the price when he lists them. A few months ago he won a CIB Atlantis for the Odyssey 2 that I had bid on and less then a week later he had it listed for $200 more then he paid. He buys games under a different eBay id.

• Like 1

I make every effort to not purchase from him unless I get a few items from the same system for 99 cents when he finally lets things go to auction and make him lose money since he offers his silly shipping discount. He buys up every rare/semi-rare game from systems and at least doubles the price when he lists them. A few months ago he won a CIB Atlantis for the Odyssey 2 that I had bid on and less then a week later he had it listed for $200 more then he paid. He buys games under a different eBay id.

What's sad is there are buyers out there gullible enough so that eBayers like this can turn a profit. If all buyers said, "I'm not paying these ridiculous above market prices" these flippers would soon take a loss on stuff and go away... :mad:

The overall power consumption of a Lynx with the new screen is higher than an unmodified Lynx. This has been measured in the screen thread. Didn't expect that, but the additional electronics draws much power. The CPLD consist of tenthousands, if not hundredthousands logic gates.

I just tested the LynxSD with California Games ROM image and the original cart of California Games. There was no difference in power consumption that I could see -- both were running at about 390ma on the title and between 390-400ma in the game select screen.

It would seem the static current draw of the LynxSD hardware is no more than a standard cart.

• Like 1

2 if those sd cards drain too much power from modded lynxes with new lcd screens, how about a revision wich uses chipsets made with smaller nn technology ,lfet's say from 45nn to a 20nn procces to make these chips smaller to consume way less power.(chinese chip factory anyway?).

Alltrough, i don't mind as i don't have modded my lynx,may in the future if my lynx & screen dies.

If you have an issue with power consumption on the 5v line the most sensible thing to do is to renew the components relating to the regulator (mosfet etc) or replace with dc-dc converter. Much has already been written about this. :)

As noted above though, the power draw from the LynxSD seems to be no different to a standard cart.

• Like 1

I received my cart today and put it in my VGA screen-modded Lynx II and it won't boot up to the menu. If the 2048.o file is present it sometimes will start that, but it otherwise shows nothing except a garbled screen. I tried it on a stock Lynx II and it worked just fine (and yes, I plugged both into an AC adapter). Any thoughts on what the issue might be with the Lynx II I'd vastly prefer to use it on?

Did you have any luck, Bill?

I just tested the LynxSD with California Games ROM image and the original cart of California Games. There was no difference in power consumption that I could see -- both were running at about 390ma on the title and between 390-400ma in the game select screen.

It would seem the static current draw of the LynxSD hardware is no more than a standard cart.

That's good to know. A shame the McWill screen draws more current than the stock screen. Perhaps a "cheaper" mod to replace the Cold Cathode tube with high efficiency LEDs would reduce the current draw of the stock Lynx while only slightly improving the screen brightness/contrast.

That's good to know. A shame the McWill screen draws more current than the stock screen. Perhaps a "cheaper" mod to replace the Cold Cathode tube with high efficiency LEDs would reduce the current draw of the stock Lynx while only slightly improving the screen brightness/contrast.

There are a couple of options if it is an issue --

1) Replace the voltage regulator for something more beefy, or uprate the components in the existing voltage regulation circuit to handle the additional current load.

2) Add an additional 5v regulator for the LED backlight (or the whole board) and run this direct to the unregulated source

• Like 1

I don't think there's any particular issue with the new screen and the cart, many people are running them together (myself included). I am only aware of the one case of them not working together, which could be down to so many things, not least of which 30 year old voltage regulation components. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

2 if those sd cards drain too much power from modded lynxes with new lcd screens, how about a revision wich uses chipsets made with smaller nn technology ,lfet's say from 45nn to a 20nn procces to make these chips smaller to consume way less power.(chinese chip factory anyway?).

Why aim low, go for the 0nn process.

• Like 1

That's no shame at all. It's the (neccessary) interface that draws the current.

If you are aiming at battery life, you could just do a LED Mod, but you still have the old washed out screen.

I'm happy with the new screen, even if it draws more power. :)

• Like 1

I received my cart today and put it in my VGA screen-modded Lynx II and it won't boot up to the menu. If the 2048.o file is present it sometimes will start that, but it otherwise shows nothing except a garbled screen. I tried it on a stock Lynx II and it worked just fine (and yes, I plugged both into an AC adapter). Any thoughts on what the issue might be with the Lynx II I'd vastly prefer to use it on?

I would suspect your 5v line is a little too low - It could be signs that the MOSFET or Zener are on the way out. In the first instance I would get both components swapped out. If your 5v regulation fails you could risk a dead screen, dead motherboard and dead SD flash cart. Since you've tried PSU as well as batteries you can rule out the batteries. Is the PSU a genuine Atari PSU, if not - what voltage does it output?

EDIT: You might also consider cleaning the cart slot - I wonder if you are getting a small voltage drop there from dirty contacts. You could do that by taking an old Lynx cart, put some IPA onto the cart edge and insert / remove the cart a dozen times or so into the Lynx. Then re-try with the SD cart.

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 2

I would suspect your 5v line is a little too low - It could be signs that the MOSFET or Zener are on the way out. In the first instance I would get both components swapped out. If your 5v regulation fails you could risk a dead screen, dead motherboard and dead SD flash cart. Since you've tried PSU as well as batteries you can rule out the batteries. Is the PSU a genuine Atari PSU, if not - what voltage does it output?

EDIT: You might also consider cleaning the cart slot - I wonder if you are getting a small voltage drop there from dirty contacts. You could do that by taking an old Lynx cart, put some IPA onto the cart edge and insert / remove the cart a dozen times or so into the Lynx. Then re-try with the SD cart.

I tried an original and aftermarket Lynx supply, as well as a universal supply with additional voltage (and yes, there are fresh batteries in there as well). No luck. I will try the cleaning idea tonight. Thanks.

• Like 2

A bit of an update -- I've programmed, cased and tested coming up to 40 units from the new batch of PCB's. All looking fantastic, very pleased. I'm trying hard to get all of them built and tested this week and then start shipping again next week.

• Like 6