IGNORED

Top 5 Favorite SGM Games

TPR

Now that SGMs are shipping and more people are going to be looking for games I thought this might be a good thread to start so everyone could list their top favorite SGM games to help out others who might be looking for ones to buy. While I know that not all of them are currently available, I'm hoping that Pixelboy and CollectorVision might consider making another run of their titles if there is enough interest. Here's my favorites....

The Goonies - Team Pixelboy

I loved the NES version of this and this one is also awesome as well! This sort of platform/action/adventure game is something that I had always dreamed of having as a kid on the ColecoVision and it's an AWESOME game!

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 13.53.22.png

Mappy - Team Pixelboy

One of my all-time favorite arcade games! While the ColecoVision version is a very, VERY good port it is missing the "bonus levels" but even still I love the game and the rest of it is VERY fun and "plays just like the arcade game." This is one game if I had on the ColecoVision as a kid, I would have seriously played it until the cart broke!

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 13.55.29.png

Majikazo - Team Pixelboy

Inspired by the Namco game "Toy Pop" this original MSX game that was ported to the ColecoVision is a FANTASTIC game! So many levels, puzzles, awesome graphics, music, etc. Again, playing through this game it's hard to believe that a title like this is now available for the ColecoVision! I've already put in quite a few hours into the game and I plan on putting in more!

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 13.59.33.png

Galaga - CollectorVision

Another game I wished I had as a kid and this is a VERY faithful version of the arcade game. Hoping that CollectorVision still has these available because it's a "must have" for anyone that has an SGM!

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 14.02.58.png

Rally-X - Team Pixelboy

I know, I know... I'm a sucker for arcade ports! As someone who was 11 years old in 1981 when Rally-X was released in the arcade I played a LOT of this game! And then I later played it's clone "Radar Rat Race" on the Vic-20 and C-64. Would have loved to have this on the ColecoVision, and now I can! Great arcade port!

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 14.05.01.png

Honorable Mentions...

Mecha-8/Mecha-9

The only reason why these two games aren't in the list above is because you technically *don't need* the SGM to play them, but they are enhanced (sound) by the SGM. In short, you should own these games even if you DON'T have an SGM! Seriously some of the best homebrew games...wait no... because ColecoVision games I've played period! So much fun! Great shooters with awesome graphics, music, sound FX, cut scenes, end level bosses, power ups, etc, etc...

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 14.07.53.pngScreen Shot 2016-03-23 at 14.08.10.png

Juno First

I am listing this here because I'm hoping that it will help convince Eduardo to release this as an actual title instead of a prototype cart release. This was a GREAT Konami arcade game, while with the ColecoVision lacks some of the over-the-top graphic FX, it's a GREAT GAME! Such a fun shooter that is very faithful to the arcade version in terms of gameplay. I think this game deserves to be in more people's hands. What do you say, Eduardo? :)

Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 14.11.41.png

There you go... My list of favorites. And there are many other really good games (All the ADAM Super Game Ports, Chaos Begins, Kings Valley, etc...) and it was hard to choose a handful, which IMO is a great problem to have!

What are YOUR favorite SGM games?

• Like 4

I'm going to disagree with Galaga - I think it sucks. Just like the NES version where the playfield is squashed down to fit on a TV screen thereby having significantly less space between your ship and the aliens as they are in formation. Galaga is one of my all time favorite games so naturally the home versions are going to get extra scrutiny.

• Like 1

I'm going to disagree with Galaga - I think it sucks. Just like the NES version where the playfield is squashed down to fit on a TV screen thereby having significantly less space between your ship and the aliens as they are in formation. Galaga is one of my all time favorite games so naturally the home versions are going to get extra scrutiny.

Oh, well, to each his own. Are you going to post what your favorite SGM games are at least?

Having just gotten my SGM I only have a couple of games which i bought a while ago in anticipation of receiving it. Currently Dragons Lair and Zaxxon Suoer Game!! i have a couple of more games on order right now (Buck arogwrs Super game and Sub Roc Super game). Hoping tomstart getting more now thst i have the SGM.

Really happy to be able to habe Dragons Lair on cart now. My best friend had an Adam and i had the Colecovision so I would go to his place all the time to play Dragons Lair since i couldnt play it on my CV lol. i have been pkaying the hell out of both Zaxxon and Dragons Lair...and im sure when i start getting more games it will be the same....just hoping my thumbs hold out!!!

• Like 2

Dragon's Lair is gorgeous.

Galaga (fixed version) is a sturdy home version. Lets tie it with Knightmare (fixed version) for the best shooter on the SGM.

Tutankham and Lode Runner had sex and King's Valley is the offspring.

The Stone of Wisdom. Solid, quick, action RPG. Really pleased with this one. Zelda for dummies.

I'm not even into video pinball, but I'm having a lot of fun with Rollerball. The game has that "one more game" addictive quality to it.

Mecha-8 (haven't played 9 yet) gets honorable mention. If I don't mention it, Tricia Thunder will kick me in the nuts.

• Like 2

Call me Simple Jack, but I love Ed's Pacman Collection and Space Invaders. I always wanted Pacman and Space Invaders on my Colecovision as a kid. There is just something magical about playing these newer games on my same Colecovision some 30 years later, and it's incredible to think about the amount of time and effort that clearly went into every aspect of porting these titles right down to the box and docs. Ed's passion for his work shines in every Opcode release, he's just damn good at what he does and I sure appreciate his dedication and effort. And while I'm at it, hats off to all the homebrew folks in the community, they make life a lot more fun!

Oh, and I guess these aren't SGM games, but still...

Edited by ValkerieSilk
  • Like 2

I've seen Galaga and I'd have to agree with VectorGamer. Screen is way too stretched for my liking and the enemies are far too low in the playing field. Feels claustrophobic.

But still its totally better than no Galaga at all though,so I can see how you guys appreciate the game on the system. :thumbsup:

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol

I've seen Galaga and I'd have to agree with VectorGamer. Screen is way too stretched for my liking and the enemies are far too low in the playing field. Feels claustrophobic.

But still its totally better than no Galaga at all though,so I can see how you guys appreciate the game on the system. :thumbsup:

I was hoping this thread would be more about people listing their favorite games rather than just arguing other people's choices, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. That being said, I honestly was not a huge Galaga "aficionado" in the 80s. Yes I liked it a lot but I was more into games like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Mappy, etc. Oddly enough I was more into Galaxian than I was Galaga. SO... I took what you guys have said into consideration and decided to load up a few different versions of the game between the ColecoVision and the Raspberry Pi and I ended up doing a little side-by-side comparison video of the ColecoVision SGM version versus the arcade game:

Ok, I do TOTALLY UNDERSTAND where you're coming from about the squashed play field and I can see where if Galaga was "your game" growing up that this might be annoying and frustrating...

BUT... I also understand that the 'home version' of a game is never going to be the exact "arcade version" (I mean, why not just play it in MAME if that's what you're looking for, right?) and I have to say that I still think that the ColecoVision version is REALLY DAMN GOOD and a very faithful reproduction of the arcade version. I completely disagree with those that say the CV version "sucks" because other than the shorter play field, the game is an amazing port! The sound FX, the timing, the gameplay, the controls, it's all there. But again, to each their own. It could just be that because I was more of a 'casual' Galaga player that the squashed play field doesn't even bother me, in fact, I really never gave it much thought until it was pointed out.

I mean, sure... you *could* get it better. Someone *could* come along and port the arcade game and make it even closer. But damn, this version is really close as it is! I feel this version of Galaga is closer to the arcade version than let's say the original Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr and I was just happy playing those versions of those games as a kid!

Anyway, to PhoenixMoonPatrol - thanks for the opinion as it helped me take a second look, and I hope you'll list your favorite SGM games as well. :)

• Like 4

I was hoping this thread would be more about people listing their favorite games rather than just arguing other people's choices, but everyone is entitled to their opinion. That being said, I honestly was not a huge Galaga "aficionado" in the 80s. Yes I liked it a lot but I was more into games like Donkey Kong, Pac-Man, Mappy, etc. Oddly enough I was more into Galaxian than I was Galaga. SO... I took what you guys have said into consideration and decided to load up a few different versions of the game between the ColecoVision and the Raspberry Pi and I ended up doing a little side-by-side comparison video of the ColecoVision SGM version versus the arcade game:

Ok, I do TOTALLY UNDERSTAND where you're coming from about the squashed play field and I can see where if Galaga was "your game" growing up that this might be annoying and frustrating...

BUT... I also understand that the 'home version' of a game is never going to be the exact "arcade version" (I mean, why not just play it in MAME if that's what you're looking for, right?) and I have to say that I still think that the ColecoVision version is REALLY DAMN GOOD and a very faithful reproduction of the arcade version. I completely disagree with those that say the CV version "sucks" because other than the shorter play field, the game is an amazing port! The sound FX, the timing, the gameplay, the controls, it's all there. But again, to each their own. It could just be that because I was more of a 'casual' Galaga player that the squashed play field doesn't even bother me, in fact, I really never gave it much thought until it was pointed out.

I mean, sure... you *could* get it better. Someone *could* come along and port the arcade game and make it even closer. But damn, this version is really close as it is! I feel this version of Galaga is closer to the arcade version than let's say the original Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr and I was just happy playing those versions of those games as a kid!

Anyway, to PhoenixMoonPatrol - thanks for the opinion as it helped me take a second look, and I hope you'll list your favorite SGM games as well. :)

Waiting for my SGM to arrive or I'd have already done so.

PixelBoy set me up with some damn good games awhile back so I'll post back once I try them out.

I do like the MSX version of Galaga,which is the same as the Coleco version so I agree with your post.

Sorry if I came off negative. Its just that I'm disappointed that the game's dimensions weren't made along the same as the arcades. I can never get far in the MSX one as the enemies are all over you very early on. But it looks and sounds amazing and its quite a feat to see on your screen. So I agree with you,its really nice to finally have the game for the system. :thumbsup:

Edited by PhoenixMoonPatrol
  • Like 1

I should create a different account just to comment here, but since this is against AA rules, I have no option but to post as Opcode or not post at all...

So he is my list of 5 best already released SGM games:

- Knightmare

- Goonies

- Zanac

- Thexder

- Stone of Wisdom

I would also mention a 6th game, Twin Bee. Hard to leave it out. I should mention both Zanac and Knightmare include easy modes not found in the originals, making those already awesome games even more awesome.

I should create a different account just to comment here, but since this is against AA rules, I have no option but to post as Opcode or not post at all...

So he is my list of 5 best already released SGM games:

- Knightmare

- Goonies

- Zanac

- Thexder

- Stone of Wisdom

I would also mention a 6th game, Twin Bee. Hard to leave it out. I should mention both Zanac and Knightmare include easy modes not found in the originals, making those already awesome games even more awesome.

It was really REALLY hard to narrow it down to just 5. Twin Bee, Knightmare and Zanac would have easily made my next 5. It's crazy to think how many SGM games are out there now! Congrats Eduardo on getting more of the modules shipped!

• 1 month later...

Now that the SGM 2nd run has been out longer, let's give this thread a bump and see what people have to say. I think I'd also put Star Soldier on that list. Damn, that's a GREAT game! And Eduardo is right, I'm partial to Twin Bee as well! So many good new games coming out!

luc and toby dont offer the re release all the sgm games... so people that didnt buy their games before having a sgm in hand cant buy them now

What the heck are you talking about? Anyone can order ALL the SGM games from Team Pixelboy. Not all of them are in stock right now, but I can make more on demand.

You should double-check the facts before making such statements, Eric. :|

• Like 2

What the heck are you talking about? Anyone can order ALL the SGM games from Team Pixelboy. Not all of them are in stock right now, but I can make more on demand.

You should double-check the facts before making such statements, Eric. :|

sorry i mist something i know you offer to put people on a list but i did nt know you could do game on demand....

I have had nothing but success when I have wanted to order a game that was "out of stock" from both Collectorvision and Team Pixelboy. In my opinion they bent over backwards to ensure I was able to get the game I wanted. Maybe try emailing them/pm them before making some off handed assumptions.

• Like 4

Oh man, I should know by now discussing a topic like a list of your favorite games will end up getting intense, but it still surprises me! haha

Well, anyway, I have a terribly hard time ranking my favorite things, as I always seem to forget something big. I'll just say these are some excellent sgm games I have enjoyed quite a bit so far: Super Subroc, MajiKazo, Knightmare, Rally X, and Super Pac-man.

I have some games I haven't gotten around to playing yet, so we shall see which emerge as possible favorites.