IGNORED

Where'd You Get Your 1st Lynx

gilsaluki

Got mine 2 months ago from ebay. A Lynx II in perfect condition. Want to buy one since 1990! I was newly infected at Amiga 30 in Amsterdam. I spoke with RJ Mical about the Lynx and there was guy with an amazing white Lynx and all the cool games. Thats it. I came home and started searching for a good one. It makes so much fun to play the games. My favorites so far are Checkered Flag and Zarlor Mercenary. Since last week i have the 5 V Mod and i hope the Lynx will have a long live.

Edited by lynxianer

Early nineties, definitely before 1994 from a lady whose son had stolen money from her purse to buy a Lynx 1. She sold it more as a punishment than to recover the money. He had thrown away all the boxes to hide that it wasn't a friend's unit as he claimed. It came with a couple of games.

Soon after I added a new Lynx II, some games and accessories when they were sold off at the local electronics supermarket (Media Markt). I less than half of the new price for the Lynx 1 and even less for the Lynx II.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted one as a kid, I was somewhere around the age of 8, my best friend's brother had one, he use to let me play Playboy. Parents were skint and saved for ages for an Amiga for me so it was no go. And from that day, i always wanted one, and acquired two last August in 2015, specifically for some long haul flights. Still play on it daily even though i've an Xbone. I add to my game collection monthly.

Today i scored my first Lynx. I was on a flea market were i bought it for 10 euro (together with a Atari 2600 with 5 games)
I already had some other handhelds, but today i finally scored my first LYNX.

But, it doesn't work, nothing on batteries and nothing on ac power... but i'm still Happy ;-)

It was late 1992. The Lynx 2 was available, but I saw a Lynx 1 at a local toystore. It was cheaper than the Lynx 2. I think the price was 220,- DM.

The shopkeeper told me, that they had two boxes of Lynx 1. One came with California Games and the other one had the pack-in game missing. She told me, that if I take the one with the missing game, I can choose one free game.

After examining the box and finding the Califonia Games cart inside the PSU box of the Lynx's box, I choose Rygar and had 2 free games! What a great Christmas gift for me! :-D :-D :-D

Hey, I was a kid... ;-)

• Like 1

Got mine in I want to say 1994 at a Venture for $99, it came w/the 4 game bundle. I had drooled over Lynx games for years in all the magazine ads prior to that, so to finally own one was a big day. It's still running strong 22 years later.

On Christmas 1991 I got a Lynx 2 and Warbirds after seeing the Lynx insert in the November 1991 EGM. Whoever decided to advertise the Lynx was a genius. Cool Atari arcade games on a handheld? Sign me up! STUN Runner, Xybots, and Hard Drivin' oh my! I had an interest in WWI biplanes and 3D polygon graphics so Warbirds was right up my alley.

It was about '92 I think... the last LYNX (1) in stock at my local Tandy's store (Australia's equivalent of Radio Shack) was display stock so the sales guy threw in a game to seal the deal - Gates of Zendocon. When I got home I found an APB pack-in title as well! Woohoo... man, it blew away the old gameboy... and ate through a hell of a lot of batteries. I would write down all the Zendocon level codes as I progressed through the game, then when the batteries died I'd put them in the sun for a half hour, pop them back in and grab an extra 15 minutes of game time... :grin:

I purchased mine about 97 from online, a place called GoAtari, but it was a diferent place back then, cwest or something. I love it, and one of my first purchased and most played games was Lemmings, the only good handheld version at the time (yeah, I had the gamegear and DMG version, and even later picked up the GBC version which were all horrible)

I played it for years untill a few years ago when it decided it was just going to screw your bame up regardless of the buttons you pushed. I need to get a new lynx sometime....or get unlazy and pull it apart and clean it up or something.

My first, I already wrote about (Engadget), but kinda more please about my 5th (don't ask). Took a punt on a "non working" Lynx II on ebay. Got it, slapped a game in it, and... it works! Guess the seller didn't have a game to put in it, so assumed it was broke when it wouldn't switch on = bargain for me.

I bought my Lynx II from Toys R Us... the system with no pack in game. I bought STUN Runner at the same time for it since I was obsessed with that arcade game at the time. IIRC Atari was doing a freebie Batman Returns cartridge for free by mail and there was a price drop a little bit before that happened. I think it must have been 1993ish?

Loved that thing. Went on to clear out every Kay Bee Toy Store on the way from Dothan to Denver to Glacier National Park on a summer vacation road trip when they announced they were clearancing it all off. Most games I paid less than $5 brand new for, some as cheap as $0.97 (Xenophobe), and ended up with about 21 games in total after that trip.

EDIT: Kay Bee Toys, not Elbo.

Edited by Geoff Oltmans
  • Like 1

I got mine in 91. Lynx 1.

At Babbages in Oakbrook Mall in Illinois.

Never forget that day.. happiest day of my life(no joke). My older brother got the Game Gear that day as well. Let the fighting begin.

Couple years later the power input went bad (ring fell out). Atari replaced it with a Model 2, which I still have. Should probably replace the screen.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my first Lynx sometime in the late '90s, probably '98 or '99, potentially even 2000. It was a used Model 1 and it came with Ninja Gaiden, Electrocop, Blue Lightning and I believe Super Skweek. It was a great way to start, minus the fact I didn't have an AC adapter yet. That thing ate through batteries like popcorn at first.