IGNORED

Where'd You Get Your 1st Lynx

gilsaluki

Pretty sure it was at a Software Etc in the mall in the next town over. Dont recall what games I got with it. I know I had ElectroCop & Zendocon early on.

I had to work that day, & brought it all the way back to the restaurant (Old Country Buffet) & was checking it out for a few minutes before starting my shift, & one of my managers came over & asked "what's that?"

& I turned to him, & said very seriously, "Phil, this...is the future...of video games."

• Like 2

I only got mine in 2009. Bought it in a German Forum, when prices were low. My Lynx 1 cost me like 25 Euros. You can not get one for under 60 if you are very lucky now.

My Lynx 2 was a generous gift by LX.NET. It came up when the McWill mod arrived, and initially it was Lynx-II-only. I asked LX.NET if he had one for sale for a good Price, since he is always buying collections and reselling what he does not need. Alas, the system arrived at my home as a gift. Very thankful for that!

Back in the Lynx heyday I never saw an actual unit. Atari Germany was not interested in it, instead focusing mostly on the computer sector. A few commercials ran when the Lynx II came, I remember those... but neither in a store did I see a live unit, nor did a single kid I know have one. So I was blown away when I got one in 2009 and experienced how advanced it was. I genuinely wish SEGA had struck a deal with Epyx instead of Atari, because unlike the Game Gear the Lynx could have pulled off wonderful versions of the super scaler games. Space Harrier, Outrun, Afterburner, Galaxy Force... all that stuff could have looked so much better on the Lynx than on the GG. And 3rd party Support would have been better than for an Atari System too.

Glad I found this System finally.

World of Atari '98. I think my parents bought it from either the Best Electronics or B&C Computer Visions booth there. It was the model 2 package deal that came with the sun visor, battery pack for D batteries, soft case, and a handful of common boxed games I want to say 8-10?)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

This thread sure puts a smile on my face! I first encountered the Lynx in 1991, when a friend in the dorms had it. Ugggh did I want one badly, but...no money! It wasn't until about 1998 that I finally got the bright idea to surf around on my little dialup connection (33.6k?) and lo & behold, I found a handful of retro stores that still carried the Lynx, with such winning names as Toad Games and 2radd.net. A few had already gone out of business. I eventually decided on Video Game Liquidators, which had most titles for $10, and I went to town.

When that package arrived at the office, work be derned, I ripped it open and started playing. I distinctly remember plugging in Electrocop first, just hear the awesome music again...boy, did that do my heart some good! Most of the other games I got were from my dorm days - CA Games, Stun Runner, Cyberball, Xybots, and the game I had played the most, Bill & Ted. I also got Qix because it was an arcade favorite of mine. Ah, the nostalgia! I still only have about 10 games, but I am seriously tempted to take out the ol' Christmas bonus from under the mattress, and stroll down the Lynx aisles of Ebay. What better way to get through mid-life crisis?

• Like 1

This thread sure puts a smile on my face! I first encountered the Lynx in 1991, when a friend in the dorms had it. Ugggh did I want one badly, but...no money! It wasn't until about 1998 that I finally got the bright idea to surf around on my little dialup connection (33.6k?) and lo & behold, I found a handful of retro stores that still carried the Lynx, with such winning names as Toad Games and 2radd.net. A few had already gone out of business. I eventually decided on Video Game Liquidators, which had most titles for $10, and I went to town.

When that package arrived at the office, work be derned, I ripped it open and started playing. I distinctly remember plugging in Electrocop first, just hear the awesome music again...boy, did that do my heart some good! Most of the other games I got were from my dorm days - CA Games, Stun Runner, Cyberball, Xybots, and the game I had played the most, Bill & Ted. I also got Qix because it was an arcade favorite of mine. Ah, the nostalgia! I still only have about 10 games, but I am seriously tempted to take out the ol' Christmas bonus from under the mattress, and stroll down the Lynx aisles of Ebay. What better way to get through mid-life crisis?

Just get 'Klax', and you can put all your other systems in storage. :)

• Like 1

I got mine last year, 2015, from a private seller on Racketboy who was selling off the rest of his collection. I think I paid $35 for a Lynx 2 with an ac adapter and two copies of Steel Talons (1 NIB and 1 CIB). I wanted one for a long time and finally found one for a great price so I grabbed it. I still only have Steel Talons though, can't find games locally, and I don't really like that game so I'm patiently waiting my turn in line for Saint's new flash cart.

I got mine last year, 2015, from a private seller on Racketboy who was selling off the rest of his collection. I think I paid $35 for a Lynx 2 with an ac adapter and two copies of Steel Talons (1 NIB and 1 CIB). I wanted one for a long time and finally found one for a great price so I grabbed it. I still only have Steel Talons though, can't find games locally, and I don't really like that game so I'm patiently waiting my turn in line for Saint's new flash cart.

Well, the good news is that about 80% of the library is better than 'Steel Talons'. :) Edited by davidcalgary29
  • Like 2

Not sure what year it was but I bought it from the same place my parents bought my Jaguar, which was Venture. I got the 4-game pack version which included Batman Returns, Ninja Gaiden, Hard Drivin' and NFL Football.

That's where I got my Lynxes as well. I bought one for myself, one for my wife, one for each of my nieces and nephews, and one for my dad. I think they were like $69/each with the four random games.

That is good news though that20% that aren't better, yikes.

The even better news is that the worst titlles are pretty rare and you'd have to be unlucky to stumble across them. Except 'Tournament Cyberball'--ugh.

The Lynx really has a super library, and especially if you like late '80s-'90s arcade ports. It just attracts little attention because it doesn't have a killer app ('Klax' qualifies in quality, but it wasn't popular enough to make the system popular).

I got my first Lynx (Lynx 2) at Electronics Boutique in 1993 when they were on clearance for $59.99. Mine came with Shadow of The Beast and Checkered Flag packed in. Maybe one other game as well, but I can't remember for sure. It was stolen about a year later. I just got another Lynx 2 again after all these years. The only game I have for it at them moment is A.P.B. but I'm looking around for some good deals here and there and everywhere. I love the system, I think it's cool how they did things like scaling and attempted 3D type games on it. For the time it came out, it was far ahead of the game. So glad to have one again.

Edited by Zapan