IGNORED

Cart storage - Atariage recommended storage solution no longer available!

jstefans

I believe the Atariage recommended storage solution is no longer available (they held 72 carts):

https://atariage.com/howto/storage_tips/LooseCarts.html

My goal is to find something similar in height for efficient cart storage without wasted head space in each drawer. A stackable drawer solution is what I believe I need and I'd like to go as high as I can in whatever solution I get to minimize floor footprint. The counter part is the need for stability and I'm on carpet which is a negative already. I would have had to go 7 or so high (I'm storing ~500 carts) of the above-mentioned containers but I think their footprint was wide enough to provide the needed stability.

I've read about folks using the small tint stacking drawer over at the containerstore.com which hold 34-36 carts (http://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/storage-drawers/small-tint-stacking-drawer/12d?productId=10008469). I'm a little nervous about the tipping potential if I go with 2 stacks of 7 high or so to fit all my carts and I'd prefer not to go 3 stacks of 4 or 5 as I'm wasting free available head space. Thus, for a solid footprint, I'd like something closer to 50-60 carts per container instead of 34.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have!

No those 6-drawer units by Iris are no longer available and haven't been for a few years. I bought one many years ago (probably around 2000) based on that AA page, and still have it. When I went to buy a second years later, they had been discontinued. I wrote Iris to inquire and got confirmation that they are no longer being made. I even wrote Al to let him know but it looks like the page is still up. They are absolutely perfect for storing Atari carts. The units are sturdy and the drawers are perfect height and width for old carts - like the page says, it's as if they had game storage in mind when they made them. I have never found any storage drawers since that come close to working as well.

I don't have links for you, but I have found decent drawers at Container Store, Target and Wal-Mart that will work for other carts. Sadly though, the drawers are usually taller (for kids clothes or whatever) or too short (for scrapbooking). You'll just have to poke around. I would even measure 3, 4 and 5 carts side by side and take the measurements and a tape measure with you to the store so you're not trying to guess while shopping. It sucks to get home to find that the drawer will only hold, say, 3 and a half carts across instead of an even 4. In my experience, the storage containers look a lot bigger in the store until you actually start putting carts in there! Good luck!

Thanks for the thoughts. It's unfortunate to hear the old Iris units are gone forever! I will continue poking around and if I find anything I'll report back here to the masses.

I did find these Sterilite units below. I'll try to head over in the next few weeks for a closer look. They may not be as sturdy and they certainly don't look as slick as the old Iris units but it's my best lead at this point for a good carpet option. (If I was on floor I think I'd go with the smaller units from containerstore.com previously mentioned). If my estimates are correct, this unit could hold 54 carts but the ultimate test will be stacking them full 9 high and seeing if the bottom container still operates.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/6-Sterilite-2301-16-Quart-Single-Box-Modular-Stacking-Storage-Drawer-Containers/42707810