IGNORED

Jag CD Player: works on some Jags, not on others

Serblander

While checking my Jag gear i came across a strange/annoying thing: plugging the Jag CD player on some Jaguar's work, but when i mount it ( :grin: ) on some other Jaguar base units it doesn't work - the screen shows that either:

a) the power isn't plugged in

b) tries to spin but doesn't

c) that dreaded ?mark taunting me

When I turn the system off, mount it ( :grin: ) on another Jaguar and it works every time i turn it on. So far works on 3 Jaguar consoles and doesn't work on another 3 consoles (though one of those is a Dev unit). I've also tried my spare CD player and same results on the 3 that worked and 3 that don't.

I've tried cleaning the contacts (Jag base unit cart and A/V as well as Jag CD) and still nothing.

Tried opening the door/lid and playing around with it, nothing (though when it didn't spin this makes it spin but question mark comes up after a while).

Tried plugging a cart (without the cd unit) and it works fine.

Does anyone know what the problem may be or can offer any suggestions? I've lost too much time on this trying to figure it out all night but to no avail!

Oh yeah, and now my only M model Jag is red screening all the time - cart and CD, so that's just bloody great! :mad: ( <--- Mad Body)

You accidentally bend or mangle some pins in the cartridge port? Even if not, it's pretty well known how finicky the CD attachment is. May want to try cleaning and reseating both ends of the bridge connector in the CD unit itself. Needs a little maintenance from time to time...

• Like 2

You accidentally bend or mangle some pins in the cartridge port? Even if not, it's pretty well known how finicky the CD attachment is. May want to try cleaning and reseating both ends of the bridge connector in the CD unit itself. Needs a little maintenance from time to time...

I can attest to this, as very recently my working Jag CD flat out refused to play nice with my Jaguar (which was also being picky when I tried to play Raiden with a friend). Cleaned the connectors on both, still nothing from the CD. Took it apart and cleaned both ends of the connector and the slot it goes into, came right back to life.

• Like 1

I don't think so, as the same CD player works everytime loading properly on specific Jags while not on some other Jag's.

I can attest to this, as very recently my working Jag CD flat out refused to play nice with my Jaguar (which was also being picky when I tried to play Raiden with a friend). Cleaned the connectors on both, still nothing from the CD. Took it apart and cleaned both ends of the connector and the slot it goes into, came right back to life.

Ya i had the same problem CD player refused to play.I had to take it apart and clean and refasten everything and it perked right back up .

I think for you guys it was just a clean that did the trick as it didn't play before but did afterwards.

In my case, not one but TWO Jag CD units will not play on three specific Jaguar consoles but WILL play on the three other different Jaguar consoles - always the same ones.

I just can't make sense of it!! :? :???:

Wow, that is quite the predicament. The only thing that would really make since is either something not making a proper connection (dirty contacts, loose solder joints, etc.) or a physical difference between the pieces of hardware as save2600 suggested.

I hope someone comes up with something soon regarding this because it seems like it would be really frustrating.

the darn Jag cart slots are not well designed and commonly have connection issues between Jag and cart and Jag and Jag CD. It doesn't help theres no dust flap. Actually that is probably the main culprit, as it exposes the Jags connector to dust and tarnished metal connectors. Atari, why so cheap? Should have put a darn dust flap on the thing. Jeez.

the darn Jag cart slots are not well designed and commonly have connection issues between Jag and cart and Jag and Jag CD. It doesn't help theres no dust flap. Actually that is probably the main culprit, as it exposes the Jags connector to dust and tarnished metal connectors. Atari, why so cheap? Should have put a darn dust flap on the thing. Jeez.

I never considered the lack of a dust flap all that important. Not a big deal to me since I've always kept some kind of a towel or bread cloth (oldjd's embroidered home-brew dust cover now) over my systems when not in use. :)