IGNORED

2016 Flashback speculation thread

I still need to be careful about what I say at this point, but since that non-final box art has been leaked, I can at least provide SOME clarification to the obvious speculation.

Yes, it's a portable Atari Flashback with SD card support. That means you can add your own Atari 2600 games as long as they don't make use of special chips or other features in the cartridge (e.g., Pitfall II).

No, it's not a NOAC. AtGames never has used a NOAC and never will. It's a new generation of the same proprietary hardware that has appeared in previous Atari Flashback products.

Frogger is just like Space Invaders, i.e., a newly created port that takes advantage of the Flashback hardware and is not Atari 2600 compatible. Like with Space Invaders, it gives you an arcade-like feel, but is not a 1:1 match of the arcade and doesn't play exactly like the arcade (AI is different, etc.).

I'm very happy with the button layout. It recreates all of the functions of the heavy sixer (plus the fire button of the joystick) in a logical layout, plus adds portable-specific features like Pause and Menu buttons. I specifically wanted all of that to maximize game compatibility.

The emulation and screen are quite good. There's also TV out, although like with the Sega product, you have to purchase the cable separately.

Hopefully we get the press release out soon and I can discuss this more.

This is awesome news Bill! I cant wait!

• Like 2

Yes, I think both may be definite purchases for me.

I understand why Konami would want to do a Frogger remake with arcade-style graphics - this is a game that has wide appeal and would benefit from a "modern retro" presentation. But like Space Invaders, the 2600 version of Frogger (by Parker Brothers) is a really good adaptation in its own right, even if the graphics are a bit flickery.

Anyway, I guess the way I should look at it is that (a) I can add the 2600 Frogger ROM file to the portable unit at least, and (b) there's a new version of Frogger with its own set of gameplay challenges.

Edited by FifthPlayer
  • Like 2

Anyway, I guess the way I should look at it is that (a) I can add the 2600 Frogger ROM file to the portable unit at least, and (b) there's a new version of Frogger with its own set of gameplay challenges.

WONDERFUL way to look at it. Same with Space Invaders. You can have access to any version you want thanks to the SD card slot (SD card not included, btw).

• Like 5

Possibly, but I think I see a row of those buttons along the top. It's hard to tell with the small image we have.

This is from the manual for the Sega Genesis version. This looks to be the same exterior housing.

Sega Genesis Portable

I still need to be careful about what I say at this point, but since that non-final box art has been leaked, I can at least provide SOME clarification to the obvious speculation.

Yes, it's a portable Atari Flashback with SD card support. That means you can add your own Atari 2600 games as long as they don't make use of special chips or other features in the cartridge (e.g., Pitfall II).

No, it's not a NOAC. AtGames never has used a NOAC and never will. It's a new generation of the same proprietary hardware that has appeared in previous Atari Flashback products.

Frogger is just like Space Invaders, i.e., a newly created port that takes advantage of the Flashback hardware and is not Atari 2600 compatible. Like with Space Invaders, it gives you an arcade-like feel, but is not a 1:1 match of the arcade and doesn't play exactly like the arcade (AI is different, etc.).

I'm very happy with the button layout. It recreates all of the functions of the heavy sixer (plus the fire button of the joystick) in a logical layout, plus adds portable-specific features like Pause and Menu buttons. I specifically wanted all of that to maximize game compatibility.

The emulation and screen are quite good. There's also TV out, although like with the Sega product, you have to purchase the cable separately.

Hopefully we get the press release out soon and I can discuss this more.

This is great news, thanks for the quick confirmations, Bill! Since Atari ROMs are so tiny, maybe I can dig out an ancient, low-capacity memory card. I think I might have a 16MB card someplace, heh heh. I'm super excited about having the ability to play almost every VCS game in a small, inexpensive thing.

The extra buttons are weird (I would worry about hitting the wrong thing) but I'm sure we'll adjust quickly.

Assuming it's like the Sega handheld, the TV-out cable is mini phono to RCA and should be like 2 bucks online.

Is the Sega Genesis handheld changing for 2016? This one can't play Sega games, right? Just Atari on the Atari unit, and Sega on the Sega unit?

This is from the manual for the Sega Genesis version. This looks to be the same exterior housing.

This is great news, thanks for the quick confirmations, Bill! Since Atari ROMs are so tiny, maybe I can dig out an ancient, low-capacity memory card. I think I might have a 16MB card someplace, heh heh. I'm super excited about having the ability to play almost every VCS game in a small, inexpensive thing.

The extra buttons are weird (I would worry about hitting the wrong thing) but I'm sure we'll adjust quickly.

Assuming it's like the Sega handheld, the TV-out cable is mini phono to RCA and should be like 2 bucks online.

Is the Sega Genesis handheld changing for 2016? This one can't play Sega games, right? Just Atari on the Atari unit, and Sega on the Sega unit?

It is the same mold as the portable Genesis. Since you only have one action button to worry about, there really isn't an issue with pressing the extra buttons. In my testing, it worked great.

The portable Genesis is mostly the same this year, at least from a core hardware standpoint (there are a few minor surprises with it, though, but again, let's wait for a retailer leak). And yes, the Flashback Portable is only for Atari 2600 games.

• Like 2

Same screen as old portable Genesis, or something new? The old screen was fine, just curious.

The modding community needs to make a GLASS screen cover for these things, my orange "Gopher" version of the Genesis portable is scratched and ugly now. I want to buy a new one but there's always something better right around the corner!

I like the box art. Space Invaders, Frogger, Centipede --- 1982 me is drooling over the very idea of having this stuff on the go.

AtariFlashbackPortable

• Like 3

Same screen as old portable Genesis, or something new? The old screen was fine, just curious.

The modding community needs to make a GLASS screen cover for these things, my orange "Gopher" version of the Genesis portable is scratched and ugly now. I want to buy a new one but there's always something better right around the corner!

I like the box art. Space Invaders, Frogger, Centipede --- 1982 me is drooling over the very idea of having this stuff on the go.

Same screen, yes. Atari 2600 games look really good on it.

A screen protector, even one of those cheesy plastic ones, is probably a good idea for longevity.

It's funny to see the comments on Facebook about this not being real and a bad Photoshop, etc., particularly because of the similar look to the Sega handheld.

• Like 3

...or backwash from the Chameleon...

:)

It's also funny how many people are being thrown off by the number of buttons. I never really considered that an issue, but it's true, most mock-ups you see only have the one action button, as expected. As I said, this was an easy way to ensure the same functionality as an original console, i.e., no more issues like there were with an inability to bring up the status screen in Secret Quest or play games like Space Shuttle (via SD card).

I think it also has a lot to do with this being something fans wanted for a long time now and finally getting it. It took a lot of convincing, but I do believe this will do really well for AtGames.

• Like 4

And this is powered by emulation? What emulator and processor - what's that like?

Bill probably can't/won't say, but I'll bet it's the TITAN, or a slight variation: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/126333-new-at-games-genesismegadrive/?p=1571391

AtariAge member onmode-ky has compiled a bunch of info ... http://pnp-info.angelfire.com/#atgames

• Like 1

Looking good.

SD card? That means I CAN play the original home release of Space Invaders!

And this is powered by emulation? What emulator and processor - what's that like?

All I'll say is it's the next generation of what has been used in previous Atari Flashbacks. It's the usual proprietary stuff. It's actually highly compatible with excellent performance. The only possible disappointment to hardcore fans is that it's not designed to support cartridge images that relied (or rely) on special chips.

And yes. SD cards equals playing anything Atari 2600-based that you want, with some aforementioned exceptions. I'm sure there will be some homebrews and maybe even other original titles that don't happen to use special chips or add-ons that may not work as well for whatever reason, but compatibility testing has been good to this point.

• Like 7

I have had little to no interest in a flashback since 2. That has now changed. I will definitely be getting a portable. What's in store for the regular console?

Not a big selling point in the long run but how does the handheld deal with paddle games?

Facebook comments?? We all know how those go..

Its true - AT Games already sent these pre-order forms to their distributors for an October 2016 release. Of course, the pictures are not the final product - so it may change between now and October!

I expect a "no," but is there a way to use external controllers without modding? With that, SD support, and A/V out, this would make an amazing console! As it is, it is an amazing Handheld, so win either way.

I'm also excited about Frogger- the more 'non-2600' ports do well, the better the odds of getting 5200/7800 exclusives added (Ninja Golf? Countermeasure? Who knows!)

It's a good time to be alive...

• Like 1

This one will be Atari 2600 only, but I suspect the usual wisdom applies: if you like stuff like this, show your support by buying this as is, and maybe there will be future revisions with interesting changes.

Lynx, A8, etc are probably too niche, at least for this company, but they've done other fun things like Intellivision & Colecovision, so who knows?

There were a few people whining on Facebook about AtGames quality, but I think that's out of line. For $40, this looks to be a wonderful little toy. TV-out is a nice bonus. Single player is fine with me, I have few/none Atari friends and there's always the TV console if I really get a hankering for Dodge'Em or Combat.

So, shall we speculate on the game lineup? I could guess at 40 games that could be dropped from the 100-game lineup that nobody would miss.

• Like 2

2 player games are probably out (combat) and maybe some paddle games (but not all). I don't know what 100 games we're starting with offhand. As long as they keep "Basic Math," I'm good ;P

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 1