IGNORED

2016 Flashback speculation thread

It would be easy to pad-hack the IR controller to work with Genesis extension cables.

Hacks are fun, but you can also just buy the wired versions for pretty cheap (even the AtGames site has it for $13.99 before shipping) or of course use an original Genesis wired gamepad.

• Like 1

Not to de-rail the current topic, but I see Nintendo is coming out with a mini NES with one controller and 30 games for $60 in November. Seems alot for only 30 games and no way to upgrade it.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/nintendo_entertainment_system_nes_classic_edition_coming_this_november_ships_with_30_gamesotto derail the current topic but I see Nintendo is coming out with a mini NES with 30 games for $60 in November.

post-629-0-10157000-1468503356_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Atari Flashback Portable - Awesome ;-)

Fortunately my parents will be out at their place in Florida later in the year, so i'll have to ask them to pick one of these up for me as I am not sure if it will get a retail release in Europe.

Regarding the Sega Portable (and console for that matter) one feature I would quite like to see added and believe is feasible, would be Master System and/or Game Gear Emulation. I know in the US market this would probably not be desirable but in Europe and Brazil (I know the Sega units are sold over here in England, not sure about in South America) this would probably be a popular addition. I have the Master System/Game Gear handheld that came out and its a great unit but obviously lacks the SD card slot of the Mega Drive/Genesis device, a combination Mega Drive/Master System/Game Gear unit would be awesome!

Anyway I am glad that these devices exist and that you are on the team Bill, I fully understand the restrictions of the market and the choices this forces AtGames to make and believe they are doing what they can to provide a retro experience for the masses.

• Like 1

So, that's SIX retro products in the pipe for late 2016! An embarrassment of riches for the frugal retro-gamer who doesn't want hardware.

1. Portable Atari 2600 with 60 Atari and licensed games and an SD card slot and composite TV-out
  2. TV-based Atari 2600 with 101 Atari and licensed games, infrared wireless controllers, and the ability to use wired classic controllers, composite AV
  3. Portable Sega Genesis with 40 (?) Sega and licensed games and an SD card slot and composite TV-out
  4. TV-based Sega Genesis with 40 (?) Sega and licensed games, infrared wireless controllers and the ability to use wired classic controllers, composite AV
  5. TV-based Retro-Bit Generations console with 60 Data East and Capcom arcade games, wired controllers, HDMI AV
  6. TV-based Nintendo Classic Mini with 30 Nintendo and Konami games, a replica wired controller, ability to use modern Wii wired controllers, HDMI AV
  • Like 5

Yes. ATGames will need to get a move-on to stay relevant against the big N!

At the same time, N stole the idea of a flashback? Yes?

Maybe. There were Konami, Namco, Taito, Commodore 64 and other plug-n-plays before AtGames arrived on the scene. People dump on AtGames for cheapness but I consider them among the first to attempt faithful recreations of the lines of the original hardware.
  • Like 1

Well, Jakks did a decent mimic of the CX-40 as far back as 2002, with paddles following in 2004, and the FB2 played the mini-2600 card in 2005, so I think "among the first" might be stretching it. :) But yes, AtGames certainly beat Techno Source at Intellivision. Too bad they flaked on the ColecoVision controllers.

So, that's SIX retro products in the pipe for late 2016!

Are you forgetting the ZX Vega+, or is that an intentional omission because it's going to be predominantly a British thing?

I'm kind of saddened that it looks like Jakks is going to sit out such a significant year for plug-n-play games. Then again, their World of Nintendo toys are certainly going to ride the coattails of the NES CE.

onmode-ky

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Nintendo Mini. I have a bad feeling though the flashbacks may lose a lot of sales to the Mini Nintendo. Most people given the option seeing both on the shelf will spring for the Nintendo, even if it's twice as expensive.

Also food for thought:

NES Mini: 30 games, HDMI, wired controllers, MSRP $59.99

Atari Flashback: 60 games, composite A/V, crappy IR controllers, MSRP $39.99

Sure the flashback has twice as many games, but it is arguable the NES selection have tons more/better gameplay. Nintendo also gets the HDMI port. Nintendo also gets the HDMI port. Nintendo also gets the HDMI port.

That said, I have a vested interest in Atari and plan on getting the portable model.

Hopefully with Nintendo going to HDMI will make AtGames rethink the option of making the Atari Flashback with HDMI in the near future! Also, they NEED to dump those awful wireless controllers and stick with the wired ones...

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 1

Looking forward to the Nintendo Mini. I have a bad feeling though the flashbacks may lose a lot of sales to the Mini Nintendo. Most people given the option seeing both on the shelf will spring for the Nintendo, even if it's twice as expensive.

Also food for thought:

NES Mini: 30 games, HDMI, wired controllers, MSRP $59.99

Atari Flashback: 60 games, composite A/V, crappy IR controllers, MSRP $39.99

Sure the flashback has twice as many games, but it is arguable the NES selection have tons more/better gameplay. Nintendo also gets the HDMI port. Nintendo also gets the HDMI port. Nintendo also gets the HDMI port.

That said, I have a vested interest in Atari and plan on getting the portable model.

To clarify, the Atari Flashback console has 101 games, composite AV, and crappy IR controllers for $40 or less later this year. It's the Atari Flashback Portable that has the 60 games, composite AV out, and SD card support for $40 or less later this year.

The good news is we should get the first official press release for the two Atari products and two Sega products out by next week. That will at least get formal word out about the basic/new features of the upcoming releases.

• Like 4

Hopefully with Nintendo going to HDMI will make AtGames rethink the option of making the Atari Flashback with HDMI in the near future! Also, they NEED to dump those awful wireless controllers and stick with the wired ones...

I really have to be careful here, but the reason why we have the wireless controllers is that's what retailers insisted upon. Again, with Nintendo establishing certain standards now, $60, wired controllers, etc., with what will surely be a blockbuster success, that should definitely give us more flexibility to implement the obvious features. Frankly, I think it would be awesome, for instance, to have a perfectly emulated Sega Genesis TV game console modeled after the original design with HDMI out and either SD card or cartridge support for the same $60 price as the Nintendo TV game. It would be like the console wars of the 90s all over again, only more in spirit than in actual practice. Hopefully this can work out for 2017.

• Like 5

Are you forgetting the ZX Vega+, or is that an intentional omission because it's going to be predominantly a British thing?

I forgot about it because I'm a damn Yankee. Plus the ZX Vega+ is crowdfunded by IndieGoGo and will cost 100 quid. It won't be widely available like our Atari/Sega/Nintendo/arcade stuff and it will cost 100 quid if/when it comes out. There's a lot of boring drama surrounding it, too. I just tried to read it again and realized that this might not be the same Spectrum remake that you're talking about it. I guess I don't care about the Brits' favorite ugly games. :_(

Nintendo has inarguably better offerings on its machine. I already have many of those games on cartridge, Wii virtual console, and portables. I like the idea of the NES mini and think it's cute, so I will probably have one even though it's the last thing I "need."

I'm getting the portable Atari the moment it's available.

• Like 1

Flojo, I don't think that they'd run it into the ground, but I do bet that we see a NES sequel down the road. Hopefully it's an ambitious one like you said rather than a lazy cash-in.

I think that either way though, the SuperNes is the likely candidate for an immediate follow-up next year.

Edited by Atariboy

I think that either way though, the SuperNes is the likely candidate for an immediate follow-up next year.

Personally, I'd rather see more SNES games on the New 3DS. The ones we got were very nicely done.

There's no rule that says they can't do both, of course. SNES Street Fighter II in a plug-n-play with two control pads would move a lot of units.