IGNORED

2016 Flashback speculation thread

So! Atari games! Which ones do you think would do especially well on the go, in an Atari Flashback portable?

Activision games are generally bright and chunky, and we know they travel well thanks to the Activision Anthology on many portable screens. I will enjoy having the Imagic full catalog on there.

I like Parker Brothers games, probably for the licensing and nostalgia most of all, but big bright games like VCS Frogger, Empire Strikes Back, Reactor, and Amidar would do well.

Conversely, what WON'T work well? Stuff with tiny missiles that will be hard to see?

Conversely, what WON'T work well? Stuff with tiny missiles that will be hard to see?

It will be interesting to see what does and does not work well with it. Due to the relatively low resolution of the 2600 and chunky graphics, there was nothing I came across in my limited testing that didn't look great on the screen, but I'm sure there are going to be some titles that just don't work well for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Adventure is not a Nintendo game.

If you reread my post, I never said that it was. Not sure why you got the thought that I was saying that.

I was referring to its appearance on the classic compilation Atari Greatest Hits: Volume 1 for the Nintendo DS. Anyways, like I said, I've found that the color selections for it don't work so great at times on my DS/DSLite/DSiXL/3DSXL. But switching to a gray scale via the b&w/color switch makes everything clear and distinct.

Come to think of it, some of the color schemes on the 2600 port of Missile Command are the same way. The levels with the light blue sky and I think the yellow sky makes it difficult for me to clearly see everything. I've found it particularly difficult to see cruise missiles at times since they don't leave a trail like the regular ICBM's do and are only composed of a few pixels. So I usually switch it to B&W there, which solves the problem nicely.

I've never had issues on televisions with these games in color and think it's a contrast issue on Nintendo's LCD's. So I would not be surprised if the screen on the AtGames handheld has some peculiarities like these of its own.

How do these two work on the AtGames screen, Bill?

Edited by Atariboy

Not sure why you'd think that when I said "I've found that the contrast on Nintendo's hardware doesn't do Adventure any favors when running in color." ;)

It was in response to Flojomojo seeking opinions on what people think might work well on the AtGames portable and what might be difficult to see on its screen.

I just took it for granted that at the very least anyone would assume that I was talking about handhelds there, since my experiences with playing Adventure on televisions/monitors, including via past Atari Flashbacks, would hardly be applicable to that question. And that's also its sole appearance to date on any Nintendo system.

I can see how things went awry though, since I should've been more specific.

Edited by Atariboy

I've found that the contrast on Nintendo's hardware doesn't do Adventure any favors when running in color. But happily, switching it to B&W works well and that functionality is included here. So it might also be preferable here as well.

You know what, now that I think of it (and you mention it), it was a slight struggle with Adventure when I was testing the early unit. If I recall, it was because the colors were so vibrant and there's so much yellow/green/whatever in the screens that it causes some difficulty in seeing it. I'll break the rules a bit here and say that both Adventure (as well as Adventure II) and Missile Command are included on the handheld. I'm supposed to get a final production unit about two weeks before it goes to all other reviewers (circa late August/maybe September), so I'll make sure to test those specifically again (and whether or not the B/W switch does in fact switch to B/W instead of color, which I'm not sure it will (it will do all other functions in games, though).

• Like 5

Flojomojo, on 14 Jul 2016 - 2:37 PM, said:

So, that's SIX retro products in the pipe for late 2016! An embarrassment of riches for the frugal retro-gamer who doesn't want hardware.

1. Portable Atari 2600 with 60 Atari and licensed games and an SD card slot and composite TV-out
  2. TV-based Atari 2600 with 101 Atari and licensed games, infrared wireless controllers, and the ability to use wired classic controllers, composite AV
  3. Portable Sega Genesis with 40 (?) Sega and licensed games and an SD card slot and composite TV-out
  4. TV-based Sega Genesis with 40 (?) Sega and licensed games, infrared wireless controllers and the ability to use wired classic controllers, composite AV
  5. TV-based Retro-Bit Generations console with 60 Data East and Capcom arcade games, wired controllers, HDMI AV
  6. TV-based Nintendo Classic Mini with 30 Nintendo and Konami games, a replica wired controller, ability to use modern Wii wired controllers, HDMI AV

Great time to be a Retro Gamer I guess...I hadn't actually thought about it until Flojomojo summed it up so nicely...Even as I try and save money like it's going out of style in the coming months, I'm sure I'll be springing for the Atari Portable and the NES mini...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, I came across this while drinking my coffee. Don't know if it's old news, however it hasn't been talked about in this thread so I figured I would toss it out there. Hopefully Bill can open up and elaborate a little bit about this:

80688e29-bc3c-4e22-80ae-d34e501b339e.jpg

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/25/12270196/sega-genesis-mega-drive-nes-classic-edition-plug-and-play#

"While the Sega Classic Game Console series has always been Sonic-heavy, this year’s release includes one additional Sonic game, as well as some Phantasy Star games. But the unit is still capped at 80 games, so while 20 new games are in — including Sonic 3D Blast and Phantasy Star 2 and 3 — there are 20 games removed — including Ecco the Dolphin, Virtua Fighter 2 and the entire Streets of Rage series. Those 80 include 40 actual Genesis games you care about, and then 40 "bonus" games like Meatloaf Rotation and Mr. Balls that, and I’m making an assumption here, you don’t."

Full SEGA Mega Drive Games List:

• Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Alien Storm
  • Altered Beast
  • Arrow Flash
  • Bonanza Bros.
  • Chakan: The Forever Man
  • Columns
  • Columns III
  • ComixZone
  • Crack Down
  • DecapAttack
  • Dr. Robotnik'sMean Bean Machine
  • ESWAT: City Under Siege
  • Eternal Champions
  • Fatal Labyrinth
  • Flicky
  • Gain Ground
  • Golden Axe
  • Golden Axe II
  • Golden Axe III
  • Jewel Master
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Phantasy Star 2
  • Phantasy Star 3
  • Ristar
  • Shadow Dancer: The Secret of Shinobi
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Sonic the Hedgehog II
  • Sonic 3D Blast
  • Sword of Varmilion
  • The Ooze
  • Vectorman
  • Vectorman II
  • Mortal Kombat I
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Mortal Kombat III

Bonus SEGA Arcade / Puzzle games:

• Adventure in the Park
  • Cross the road
  • Jack's Pea
  • Jewel Magic
  • Curling 2010
  • Plumbing Contest
  • Wall-Breaking
  • Bubble Master
  • Break a Fireline
  • Mahjong Solitaire
  • Warehouse Keeper
  • Chess
  • Memory
  • Snake
  • Air Hockey
  • Spider
  • Naval Power
  • Mr. Balls
  • Cannon
  • Fight or Lose
  • Bottle Taps Race
  • Bomber
  • Checker
  • Hexagonos
  • Whack-A-Wolf
  • Mirror Mirror
  • Panic Lift
  • Black Sheep
  • Flash Memory
  • Brain Switch
  • Mega Brain Switch
  • Hidden Agenda
  • Dominant Amber
  • Hide and Seek
  • Jura Formula
  • Lost World Sudoku
  • Meatloaf Rotation
  • Mya Master Mind
  • Skeleton Scale
  • T-Rex Memory Match
  • Yawning Triceratops

http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/sega-sonic-25th-anniversary-range

So, I came across this while drinking my coffee. Don't know if it's old news, however it hasn't been talked about in this thread so I figured I would toss it out there. Hopefully Bill can open up and elaborate a little bit about this:

Despite the typos in the game list, that's a valid leak. From a few of the games, you can infer the new feature. I'll let you all know when the press release hits later today.

• Like 1

Despite the typos in the game list, that's a valid leak. From a few of the games, you can infer the new feature. I'll let you all know when the press release hits later today.

Judging by the inclusion of Phantasy Star II and III, I can only conclude that the new feature is a battery assisted save function, potentially with save states. Fantastic feature if true, especially for us parents. However, to be honest I was expecting a new chip to handle 3D rendering (ala Zero Tolerance) or SVP chip emulation for Virtua Racing. I'm looking forward to the announcement!

• Like 2

Judging by the inclusion of Phantasy Star II and III, I can only conclude that the new feature is a battery assisted save function, potentially with save states. Fantastic feature if true, especially for us parents. However, to be honest I was expecting a new chip to handle 3D rendering (ala Zero Tolerance) or SVP chip emulation for Virtua Racing. I'm looking forward to the announcement!

I have to say that losing Ecco the Dolphin and the entire Streets of Rage series, if true, is a black mark against this unit. And it doesn't make sense to me, because those are all Sega games, so I don't understand why there would be licensing issues.

Edited by FifthPlayer

I have to say that losing Ecco the Dolphin and the entire Streets of Rage series, if true, is a black mark against this unit. And it doesn't make sense to me, because those are all Sega games, so I don't understand why there would be licensing issues.

On the plus side, you can use original cartridges, flash carts, or SD card (for the portable) to add in whatever you feel in missing (as long as it's compatible).

• Like 1

There's a table on the Polygon page that shows what's out and what's in. There is at least one error (Flicky appears on both lists)

From what I can see, these are the games that are going away:

Ecco

Ecco Jr

Streets of Rage 1

Streets of Rage 2

Streets of Rage 3

Virtua Fighter 2

No great loss IMHO, especially since you can put Streets of Rage back via the SD card slot on the portable. I'd rather play them on the 3DS anyway. I even have all 3 Streets of Rage for iPhone if I really wanted to play them on the go. Taking away the Genesis version of Virtua Fighter 2 is a mercy, that @$%)&!@# thing always makes me do a double-take, because I love the arcade/Saturn version.

What's in? Eternal Champions is flawed but fun, and a worthy inclusion and an OK replacement for the Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games that sometimes show up on these. I'm not certain if it was compatible on the earlier releases, perhaps I just had a bad ROM. Sword of Vermillion, Phantasy Star 2, and Phantasy Star 3 are long RPGs so it's cool that they seem to be supporting battery saves. Sonic 3D Blast, yeah ok whatever. :-)

So will battery saves also work on SD card games?

SEGA MEGA DRIVE CLASSIC HOME CONSOLE AND ULTIMATE PORTABLE HANDHELD - PACKED WITH 80 (YES, 80!) BUILT-IN GAMES!

heh, Funstock ...

Yes, 80!

No, not 80 games you care about, though. I wonder if they get good feedback about the non-Sega games from kids? Perhaps this is an effort to bridge the generations?

If you go to Facebook and see "Sega Genesis" as a trending topic, you'll see a zillion tiny variations on the AtGames press release. The main editorial addition seems to be "Sega answers the NES Mini Classic with its own machine, with MORE GAMES." In two months, the follow-up stories write themselves: "the sound is no good" and "half the games aren't even Sega games!" Sigh.

sigh

• Like 1

If you go to Facebook and see "Sega Genesis" as a trending topic, you'll see a zillion tiny variations on the AtGames press release. The main editorial addition seems to be "Sega answers the NES Mini Classic with its own machine, with MORE GAMES." In two months, the follow-up stories write themselves: "the sound is no good" and "half the games aren't even Sega games!" Sigh.

sigh

I'm glad someone else saw that too and it wasn't just target marketing. I was looking at the trailer for Star Trek : Discovery and saw Sega Genesis was trending. Of course all the little "Me too!" news outlets are reporting it as their answer to the NES. Ridiculous.

• Like 1

So will battery saves also work on SD card games?

I don't know how broadly compatible it is yet. I won't have finalized review hardware until August. Right now, only count on the couple of included games that originally supported saves supporting saves. No save states this year, either.

• Like 2

I don't know how broadly compatible it is yet. I won't have finalized review hardware until August. Right now, only count on the couple of included games that originally supported saves supporting saves. No save states this year, either.

It's August very soon. ;-) Though if I were AtGames, delaying it to get it more right would definitely be tempting.

No save states is to be expected, but RPG saving is definitely a step in the right direction.

It's August very soon. ;-) Though if I were AtGames, delaying it to get it more right would definitely be tempting.

No save states is to be expected, but RPG saving is definitely a step in the right direction.

Good thing they are starting early this year. Once November hits, Atgames will be forgotten. That is, if Nintendo can keep store shelves stocked, which I have my doubts about...