IGNORED

How to install TI-99/4A (TI-99/SIM) on RetroPie v3.6 (Raspberry Pi2 or Pi3)

globeron

As of today, RetroPie version 4.6 officially supports the Raspberry Pi 4, so that the corresponding image file is now available for download under this link:

https://retropie.org.uk/download/

All users of the prereleased image files can update their RetroPie Version by:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt full-upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean

cd /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/

sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

In the menu: Update RetroPie-Setup-Script

Back in the menu: Update

Cheers
Sid

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 7:11 PM, Tursi said:

Everyone tells me that MAME is /even better/ than Classic99.

Ahhh. Don't tell anyone but I know classic works and besides, when I see that MAME, I think of lame. But I just stick to what works great for me but I'm must disclose, I've never tried the mame.

Only because of why as listed above.

On 6/8/2020 at 8:32 PM, tmop69 said:

Has anyone tested the new V 0.16.0 (May, 25th 2020) of TI-99/Sim? The changelog reports "Changes to better support RetroPie setup & joystick usage".

Yes, they told you the truth. ;-)

Edited by Sid1968

RetroPie 4.6.2 on the Raspberry Pi 4 uses the Linux distribution Raspbian Buster. A new update from Raspbian Buster
leads to sound problems, since the firmware that is installed does the audio processing in a way has newly regulated

that Raspbian Buster can not handle it.

There are options in the emulation station settings under this link to change, but then they only apply there and not

under other Linux-based applications. BTW... none of them worked for me.

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/26628/audio-issues-after-latest-raspbian-updates/2

In order to basically restore the previous, working state of the audio processing, the file cmdline.txt must be edited.

To do this, remove your SD card from the Raspberry Pi4, insert it into a card reader and open the file "cmdline.txt"

with a text editor.

Now add this line to the end of the existing line:

snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi = 1 snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones = 1 snd_bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa = 1

Finished!

This method has the advantage that updates and new firmware can be imported again at will, because the changed

audio settings in "cmdline.txt" on the entire Linux level are independent of Changes due to updates and new firmware apply.

Cheers

Sid

Edited by Sid1968

11 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

It behaves like a real one. Use the keyboard to select game. Use the joystick ingame.

I do not want to use the keyboard, since the Raspberry is in a GPi Case. ? The TI99 Sim was the only system on the RetroPie distribution that needs a keyboard to select/run/restart games. The C64, Spectrum, Colecovision and Intellivision have a "virtual keyboard" that allows to run/restart games using only the joypad. This solution was also implemented in the PSP port of the TI99 Sim.
For running games, acting like a "console" is really comfortable. ?

• 1 month later...

I'm working on an interesting little setup, a Modern Retro Computer.  It's a Computer console with keyboard+trackpad with a Raspberry Pi 4 running RetroPie+TI99Sim and a USB 3.5" floppy drive connected.  I thought it would be possible to read/write floppy disks from TI99Sim, but when I try to save "SAVE DSK1.[NAME]" I get an I/O ERROR 60 response.  Is there a configuration setting I need to enable to allow reading/writing to emulate a disk drive?  I haven't found any info. on this yet. 

The goal, is if the save works that I find the location where the file was saved, then create a symbolic link to the floppy drive.  This is mostly for nostalgic reasons, nothing more.  My end-goal is to build a single console that can emulate multiple systems in a retro-style configuration which utilizes modern hardware components.  Here's a link to my current project info. if interested.  Planning a video on my YT channel later this week once I make a bit more progress.  Any help on the save issue would be greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.d91f9674f02eedc965a5aadc32ba101f.png

Edited by jonecool

21 hours ago, jonecool said:

I'm working on an interesting little setup, a Modern Retro Computer.  It's a Computer console with keyboard+trackpad with a Raspberry Pi 4 running RetroPie+TI99Sim and a USB 3.5" floppy drive connected.  I thought it would be possible to read/write floppy disks from TI99Sim, but when I try to save "SAVE DSK1.[NAME]" I get an I/O ERROR 60 response.  Is there a configuration setting I need to enable to allow reading/writing to emulate a disk drive?  I haven't found any info. on this yet. 

The goal, is if the save works that I find the location where the file was saved, then create a symbolic link to the floppy drive.  This is mostly for nostalgic reasons, nothing more.  My end-goal is to build a single console that can emulate multiple systems in a retro-style configuration which utilizes modern hardware components.  Here's a link to my current project info. if interested.  Planning a video on my YT channel later this week once I make a bit more progress.  Any help on the save issue would be greatly appreciated.

image.thumb.png.d91f9674f02eedc965a5aadc32ba101f.png

Hi Mate,

i enjoy your youtube channel. ?

Without knowing TI99Sim in detail, I believe I can say that your project cannot be realized with it.

I myself had a similar idea under this post:

As a joint project of this forum I would like to create a guide: "How to run the TI-99 / 4A MAME Version on a Raspberry Pi 4".

The emulator with which the project would be realized is MAME. In the first post I describe what the goal is. Extra wishes are welcome.

So far, I haven't managed to

1. get Mame up and running with the desired parameters

and

2. write a start script.

Unfortunately, there has been no help with it so far ... although one of the Mame developers is active here in the forum and should actually have an interest in the project.

But maybe you have the desire / knowledge to help achieve the goal.

Cheers
Sid ?

Edited by Sid1968

19 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

Hi Mate,

Without knowing TI99Sim in detail, I believe I can say that your project cannot be realized with it.

As a joint project of this forum I would like to create a guide: "How to run the TI-99 / 4A MAME Version on a Raspberry Pi 4".

The emulator with which the project would be realized is MAME. In the first post I describe what the goal is. Extra wishes are welcome.

and

2. write a start script.

Unfortunately, there has been no help with it so far ... although one of the Mame developers is active here in the forum and should actually have an interest in the project.

Cheers
Sid ?

Thank you, I'm happy that you enjoy the channel!  It's always fun to create new videos and rarely stressful, but in this case slightly so.  I'm not having the same exact difficulties.  I can definitely launch the TI-99/4A using TI99sim within Twister OS (RetroPie installed under PiOS with a pretty UI).  I was also able to use the ti99sim disk command once to create a TI disk but have been unable to do it a 2nd time.  Not sure why at this point.  I'm keeping all my notes on the MRC page  should anyone want to jump in and help :)  If I'm unsuccessful at getting the TI to work soon, I'll move on to other consoles, DOSBOX, etc. and use them for my next video.  However, the TI is the first machine I ever owned and hope to demonstrate the concept here first.  But, it's not the end-goal -I want to run as many as I can on the Pi 4.  I plan to demonstrate consoles running on this Modern Console in the future.  May start looking at my 2nd computer soon, the Amiga.  Then maybe others will show some interest and help with with suggestions/recommendations.  I just like the concept of having a single console that looks semi-retro, utilizes some classic components (3.5" floppy, CD ROM,etc.) but running potentially 10-20+ different classic computer consoles on a single box.  For the space-impaired, such as myself, it's a great option.

Edited by jonecool

20 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

Hi Mate,

and

2. write a start script.

Cheers
Sid ?

Hi Sid,  I think Michael Zapf already has a write up somewhere how to install MAME on the RPI4.

(I do not have an RPI4, but came along this performance matrix https://ninerpedia.mizapf.eu/en/ti99/mame/mamereq)

I am still troubleshooting my real iron Geneve 9640 RGB video output, but in parallel also run the MAME emulation

on my PC to see if I can everything as on the real iron (need to sort out the RS232 connection, saw some write-ups

and to sort out the mouse connection for now and how to maximize the screen, but should ask these in another forum).

The TI/SIM I mainly used it on my RPI3B+ for gaming (together with MSX, NES, SNES, MAME/Arcade games, etc.), e.g. if we have a gaming competition like Bounce N Pounce,  I am checking the other versions, like Bump N Jump on the NES

(I have not used the disk-access control, I think the other emulators are a bit easier to use it)

16 minutes ago, globeron said:

Hi Sid,  I think Michael Zapf already has a write up somewhere how to install MAME on the RPI4.

(I do not have an RPI4, but came along this performance matrix https://ninerpedia.mizapf.eu/en/ti99/mame/mamereq)

I am still troubleshooting my real iron Geneve 9640 RGB video output, but in parallel also run the MAME emulation

on my PC to see if I can everything as on the real iron (need to sort out the RS232 connection, saw some write-ups

and to sort out the mouse connection for now and how to maximize the screen, but should ask these in another forum).

The TI/SIM I mainly used it on my RPI3B+ for gaming (together with MSX, NES, SNES, MAME/Arcade games, etc.), e.g. if we have a gaming competition like Bounce N Pounce,  I am checking the other versions, like Bump N Jump on the NES

(I have not used the disk-access control, I think the other emulators are a bit easier to use it)

Thanks buddy, as you can see from my thread, the installation has already succeeded. Mame runs with me. But as soon as I use parameters it doesn't work anymore. However, I am not a TI-99/4 expert and cannot script either. That's why I need help on the two points mentioned above. I had already described that in the first post of the thread. ?

Edited by Sid1968

• 1 year later...

I'm hoping this is the right place but if not, apologies in the advance.  I'm looking to track down the ti99-4a.ctg bios file- I checked WHTECH and some of the threads here to no avail.  Am I being obtuse and just not looking in the right spot?

Likewise, if it's verboten to ask, please let me know. :)  Thanks!

19 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

I'm hoping this is the right place but if not, apologies in the advance.  I'm looking to track down the ti99-4a.ctg bios file- I checked WHTECH and some of the threads here to no avail.  Am I being obtuse and just not looking in the right spot?

Likewise, if it's verboten to ask, please let me know. :)  Thanks!

You can find it on the .zip at the end of my article on Ti99Sim on Raspberry on TI99IUC site (TI99SIM).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1