globeron

How to install TI-99/4A (TI-99/SIM) on RetroPie v3.6 (Raspberry Pi2 or Pi3)

As of today, RetroPie version 4.6 officially supports the Raspberry Pi 4, so that the corresponding image file is now available for download under this link:

https://retropie.org.uk/download/

All users of the prereleased image files can update their RetroPie Version by:

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y && sudo apt full-upgrade -y && sudo apt autoremove && sudo apt autoclean

cd /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/

sudo ./retropie_setup.sh

In the menu: Update RetroPie-Setup-Script

Back in the menu: Update

Cheers
Sid

Edited by Sid1968
  • Like 1

Has anyone tested the new V 0.16.0 (May, 25th 2020) of TI-99/Sim? The changelog reports "Changes to better support RetroPie setup & joystick usage".

On 4/19/2020 at 7:11 PM, Tursi said:

Everyone tells me that MAME is /even better/ than Classic99.

Ahhh. Don't tell anyone but I know classic works and besides, when I see that MAME, I think of lame. But I just stick to what works great for me but I'm must disclose, I've never tried the mame.

Only because of why as listed above.

Posted (edited)
On 6/8/2020 at 8:32 PM, tmop69 said:

Has anyone tested the new V 0.16.0 (May, 25th 2020) of TI-99/Sim? The changelog reports "Changes to better support RetroPie setup & joystick usage".

Yes, they told you the truth. ;-)

Edited by Sid1968

Posted (edited)

RetroPie 4.6.2 on the Raspberry Pi 4 uses the Linux distribution Raspbian Buster. A new update from Raspbian Buster
leads to sound problems, since the firmware that is installed does the audio processing in a way has newly regulated

that Raspbian Buster can not handle it.

There are options in the emulation station settings under this link to change, but then they only apply there and not

under other Linux-based applications. BTW... none of them worked for me.

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/26628/audio-issues-after-latest-raspbian-updates/2

In order to basically restore the previous, working state of the audio processing, the file cmdline.txt must be edited.

To do this, remove your SD card from the Raspberry Pi4, insert it into a card reader and open the file "cmdline.txt"

with a text editor.

Now add this line to the end of the existing line:

snd_bcm2835.enable_hdmi = 1 snd_bcm2835.enable_headphones = 1 snd_bcm2835.enable_compat_alsa = 1

Finished!

This method has the advantage that updates and new firmware can be imported again at will, because the changed

audio settings in "cmdline.txt" on the entire Linux level are independent of Changes due to updates and new firmware apply.

Cheers

Sid

Edited by Sid1968

11 hours ago, Sid1968 said:

It behaves like a real one. Use the keyboard to select game. Use the joystick ingame.

I do not want to use the keyboard, since the Raspberry is in a GPi Case. 🙂 The TI99 Sim was the only system on the RetroPie distribution that needs a keyboard to select/run/restart games. The C64, Spectrum, Colecovision and Intellivision have a "virtual keyboard" that allows to run/restart games using only the joypad. This solution was also implemented in the PSP port of the TI99 Sim.
For running games, acting like a "console" is really comfortable. 🙂