IGNORED

Atari 5200 issue

DocktaCake

So I have done a lot of research on this but haven't found a solution. I bought an Atari 5200 off of eBay. Later, I bought a box that was labeled as tested and 100% working. I didn't have a power supply though, so I used one of a similar output to the 5200. The light on the 5200 came on but no signal on the TV nor did I hear a click from the box. I found a really cheap 5200 on eBay, so I bought it, plugged it in, same result. I have tried multiple cartridges. Any tips?

Edited by DocktaCake

Few question I have since I have to be honest, you're description of the issue or issues is slightly confusing:

You said you later bought a box? What box? Box for what?

You state you don't hear the clicking, so I'm guessing you have a 4 port model with the funky auto switchbox?

No luck :(. No image on the screen, no clicking sound with either system. The LED on the console is on though. I think it's the switch box. Unfortunately, I bought it a year ago so can't return it... Later I'll get my ohms meter to test the parts of the switch box to see where the issue may be.

Edited by DocktaCake

The little IC inside the box tends to fail. They can be had cheaply on ebay or electronics supply houses.

LM393P is the replacement

If that op-amp is a common failure, I should check out the stash of broken boxes I got when I bought a pile of dead 5200/CX53/switchboxes several years ago. That's an easy fix. Seems like people are looking for functional switchboxes now and then. I should set some of these loose into the wild. :)

So I plugged it in, inserted Joust, turned the unit on, and nothing. I flicked the switch to standby and what do you know, I heard a click! I switched it back, and click! No picture on the screen though. I turned the unit off and turned it back on, and now I don't hear a click, even when changing it to standby. Now none of my tvs switch to channel 2. Maybe it's on channel 2? Is there a way to switch this?

It was on the wrong channel. I changed it and- nothing. I haven't heard the click since I mentioned it last time. I either imagined it or the relay worked until I turned the console off, and then stopped working again. I am so lost. I have no idea what to do at this point. I don't know if it is the console, switchbox, or something else :/

I have a 4 port model with the switchbox

I lost picture for awhile & discovered it must have been a dirty cart slot .... could also be a bad game cart

I'm using it on an old CRT as well , I'm not sure if your on a newer TV or not

I believe there is a channel selector on the switchbox & mine only works on channel 3 oh it says "standby" & "normal" .... ONLY works on "normal"

there is a "power mod" that can be done but I have never tried it myself

my switchbox clicks as you have said ... had to put my ear right on the thing ...

I'm supposing you get no red LED on the console now

also I recall needing to clean the barrel that would plug into back of TV , I used 90 % rubbing alcohol ... I use the same stuff on cart edge connectors & while wet I slip in & out of console to clean the cart slot

the 5200 it definatly a collectors system to be tinkered with ... I hope you get it going :)

I ended up just buying a 2 port model. It has an issue though, it can't power off. I will post a new thread when I get it for tips on fixing it. Also, if anyone is interested I will take offers for my 4 port model with the switchbox.

I've seen threads for that issue. I'd give it a good thorough search before starting a new thread. Pretty sure you'll find some answers.

My memory is nothing like perfect, but I recall reading that it's sometimes a flip-flop IC that fails. I think it was a 4013.

Quick search turns up:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/239854-my-5200-dont-turn-on

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/152841-5200-no-longer-powers-on