IGNORED

WIP Game for 7800: Dream Princess Adventure

gorfcadet

Last for today. Just a few screens plotted out near the beginning. Just because someone asked... the background IS NOT purple. That is there to help me judge screen length and height as I go. :) The screens will be filled in with the background tiles when completed.

And no... "you" don't kill anything with the axe. :)

SCREENS

• Like 5

Last for today. Just a few screens plotted out near the beginning. Just because someone asked... the background IS NOT purple. That is there to help me judge screen length and height as I go. :) The screens will be filled in with the background tiles when completed.

And no... "you" don't kill anything with the axe. :)

This is very impressive.

According to the specs my partner gave me, everything I'm calling for is graphically "legal." The palette resets for the status area with a break and if you count colors in background, foreground, and character sprites they fall in the realm of what a 7800 can do. I intentionally designed characters a little thin in places because the 7800 would taffy them in fat mode. I really love my rocket cat. Maybe one day he gets his own shooter or spin off.

Not sure how to preserve the palette when saving in photoshop, but when I'm saving files in paint shop pro, I make sure it doesn't try to optimize the palette for file size. Prior to that, it's default behavior was to muck around the colors in the palette which is probably what's happening with you. Might want to check what options are available when you do a save-as.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! School just got out, so I'm home watching the kids. My wife is on vacation this week with us so no progress this week. I stopped for a bit due to another kidney stone and subsequent stomach problems caused by the meds they gave me for the stones. Finally feeling better. Just stopped in and saw this bumped and the Toki announcement, so

i'm glad I checked in!

Hopefully, I'll have some fun stuff to show soon. I'm excited to get to Dr. Fluffy's lab! <- The cat.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! School just got out, so I'm home watching the kids. My wife is on vacation this week with us so no progress this week. I stopped for a bit due to another kidney stone and subsequent stomach problems caused by the meds they gave me for the stones. Finally feeling better. Just stopped in and saw this bumped and the Toki announcement, so

i'm glad I checked in!

Hopefully, I'll have some fun stuff to show soon. I'm excited to get to Dr. Fluffy's lab! <- The cat.

Has any programming started on this game or is it just at the mock ups stage? When I saw the mock ups I thought they where screens from the game and was sad when there was not a .BIN attached to play. Here is hoping that changes right soon as it looks like it could be a real fun game.

Well, I am not the programmer, we all have schedules and jobs and in my case kids. It will be when it is, is all I can say. I would love to be playing it myself, but my kids aren't going to potty train themselves. So it can't be done until I have the levels laid out to be programmed.

I do hope folks enjoy it once it is ready for prime time.

There has been some early movement work done, but I'm not sure when a playable rev will happen.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys. The pixel work is really done. Just working on level layouts. Other than that, the buck is passed to the programmer. I really want to play this also. I hid a picture of my son in the background; guess I'll need to add my twin daughters too. :) I'm hoping to finish up level designs by spring and then work on title screen layout and then box art. I'm thinking something between Shantae visually and Teen Titans Go in terms of cheekiness for an instruction book and an homage to nes black/silver box art for the packaging/label. I always wanted to see a Zelda cart for the 7800.

Thanks guys. The pixel work is really done. Just working on level layouts. Other than that, the buck is passed to the programmer. I really want to play this also. I hid a picture of my son in the background; guess I'll need to add my twin daughters too. :) I'm hoping to finish up level designs by spring and then work on title screen layout and then box art. I'm thinking something between Shantae visually and Teen Titans Go in terms of cheekiness for an instruction book and an homage to nes black/silver box art for the packaging/label. I always wanted to see a Zelda cart for the 7800.

Who is the programmer? Honestly, this is the easy work you have done. Writing a game engine and then all the other programming around it is the real work.

Well, if the part I was doing is easy there would be less crap games in the world. ;) I look at it this way; we all do what we're good at or what is easy to us. I teach graphic design and layout, so I hope my attention to detail shows.

My programmer is from the outside, but is like me, trying to free up time to get back on target.

• Like 1

Another rescue the princess game? When are we gonna to play one of these platformers as a pricess? It's a tired out plotline that needs to go away.

It dont matter this is the 7800. If someone wants to make a game by all means it has to be a great thing as it really does not have a ton of games to choose from. So if you dont like it just ignore this thread please as there are many that are excited for it.
  • Like 2

Well I'm sorry. I'm spending my time so I guess I'll make the game I want to. Sounds like something you should take up with Nintendo, not a hobbyist spending his free time. Thanks for thread crapping though. Shooters, sports, and racing games have been around forever too. Go ask EA when a WNBA title is coming.

Shantae, Metroid, Code of Princess, and Super Princess Peach were great games, support those titles by buying them, not by pestering hobbyists. I'm just a guy working on a game I want to play.

• Like 5

I just looked at your pixel art again..

Wow is it ever amazing. Believe me you have tons of fans(and what I mean by tons is not just 3 or 4 overwieght middle aged guys) Drooling over this game thinking wow it looks awesome. Your attention to level design will make it great!

Thanks Jinks. I appreciate that and I know my partner will make this a worthwhile project. I guess I should take it as a compliment that some folks find me interesting enough to take shots. I appreciate ya'lls patience. Being a full time dad and teacher takes a lot, but I have fond memories of the 7800 and really want to be part of a project that folks enjoy. Hoping to get the layout and notes to my programmer soon so he can take over. Then I'll shift to title screen and strategy guide work.

• Like 1