IGNORED

So does everyone hate "Star Ship" then?

Spector

I like the funky background "space" sounds.

I'll agree that for an early attempt at 3-D at a time when nobody knew what they were doing...Its a valiant attempt.

That's the point I was wanting to make when I started the thread - I didn't know that it had already been talked about in January. It was an interesting piece of history, and that's not true for all Atari games in the 70's.

I certainly don't agree with the previous quote about all 70's games being poor - some of the very best moments happened then.

I don't like any of the old 70s games... not even arcade.  They are too primitive and not the least bit fun.  Not until Space Invaders did games finally become fun.

COMBAT NOT FUN?!?!!?!

BREAKOUT NOT FUN?!?!?

CIRCUS ATARI NOT FUN?!?!?!?!

INDY 500 NOT FUN?!?!?!

I suggest you try those games again. They are all kick ass games and IMHO better then Space Invaders.

Circus is, IMHO MORE fun than Warlords. I can play Circus for HOURS on end!

I don't like any of the old 70s games... not even arcade.  They are too primitive and not the least bit fun.  Not until Space Invaders did games finally become fun.

COMBAT NOT FUN?!?!!?!

BREAKOUT NOT FUN?!?!?

INDY 500 NOT FUN?!?!?!

I suggest you try those games again. They are all kick ass games and IMHO better then Space Invaders.

Circus is, IMHO MORE fun than Warlords. I can play Circus for HOURS on end!

All paddle games kick ass.The only problem with emulation and remakes IMHO is that the paddle control isn't replicated properly. Almost every single rotary game is a pure classic to me.

I agree... the paddle games are much overlooked and maligned.

I always loved Breakout and Super Breakout, but as an adult I still find two of the absolutely most addictive games on the 2600 to be Kaboom! and Circus Atari. And when you've got some live opponents, nothing beats a game of Warlords!

I think one of the biggest problems about the paddle games is the fragility of the paddles themselves... I bet a lot of people don't give the paddle games a chance because their paddles are too jittery.

COMBAT NOT FUN?!?!!?!

BREAKOUT NOT FUN?!?!?

INDY 500 NOT FUN?!?!?!

no

it's okay

no

yes, but I thought that was a post Space Invaders game?

Combat -- not fun to play by yourself

Breakout -- you might like it, you might not

Circus Atari -- OK, if you don't think it's fun, you haven't really tried it

Indy 500 -- one of the original 9 games for the VCS, WAY before Space Invaders; and again it's really only fun with a live opponent... then it ROCKS!

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE STAR SHIP! :D This game is so primitive and blocky that there's no way it can't be cool! The gameplay is solid and addictive (I found the Lunar Lander game waaaay too easy though). Star Ship, and almost all of the the original VCS programs, are the best if you ask me. They put the "retro" in retrogaming, and Star Ship is the king!

So for all you early-VCS naysayers: STAR SHIP RULES. COMBAT RULES. INDY 500 RULES. CIRCUS ATARI RULES. SKY DIVER RULES. HUMAN CANNONBALL RULES 8). As far as age goes, great things are timeless...and age is relative anyhow (is a 90-year-old man so old when standing beside a dinosaur fossil?)

Has anyone scored higher than 54 (my high score) in Star Ship?

I love those games. The old original Atari 2600 games seem to have kept their ground even after all these years. Of course, when you have great gameplay, who needs graphics?

Star Ship/Outer Space, this was a great game, and I still play it quiet regularly. The stars going buy was an awesome affect that destroyed effects in the other 2600 games at the time, for a short while at least. And a first person space shooter, especially back then was a real treasure. I mainly played the first mode on a hard difficulty setting, it was fun shooting as many enemy ships as I could.

Heck, this was one of the games I played the most back then, right up untill I got a SuperCharger with the packed in Phaser Patroll, which of course blew away StarShip/Outer Space. But I still played StarShip/OuterSpace quiet a bit, because you didn't have to load it :P And it had more modes of play.

Over all, I'd say this was a great game back then, and it stayed that way for years. There's not to many first person space shooters on the 2600 either, so I'd yave to say it's still a decent game on the system.

• 3 years later...

I agree... the paddle games are much overlooked and maligned.

I always loved Breakout and Super Breakout, but as an adult I still find two of the absolutely most addictive games on the 2600 to be Kaboom! and Circus Atari. And when you've got some live opponents, nothing beats a game of Warlords!

I think one of the biggest problems about the paddle games is the fragility of the paddles themselves... I bet a lot of people don't give the paddle games a chance because their paddles are too jittery.

:P I don't know how, exactly, we got on paddles in a 'Star Ship' thread, but here's my two pennies :P

I agree that all the paddle games rock, with the possible exception of Video Olympics. I do get bored with even multiple versions and angles of 'Pong' :ponder:

I used to not like paddle games, simply because we had to unplug the joystick to plug in the paddles. My original sixer had such a tight jack (that doesn't sound right, does it?) that I was afraid I was going to break something in the changeover. Of course, back then, I never would have thought I'd have twelve ATARI systems. Now, I have a console with paddles on it constantly. :D

Oh, by the way, Star Ship rocks if you put yourself in an 'campy sci-fi' frame of mind. It's the 'Dark Star' of video carts :P

I've always hated this game and I never understood why it didn't make it on to more of our "worst Games" lists.

Because hating the video game equivalent of a hand-cranked silent home movie is just kinda cruel. It's moldy old, limited by the technology and ideas of the time, but like Home Run and Football, more something to be ignored and forgotten than hated.

Save the hating for stuff that was hyped up and had a big production/marketing budget, like "E.T."

(I'd rather play E.T. than Star Ship, but singling out this early, primitive game is like picking on a kid with Down's Syndrome)

• Like 1