IGNORED

Little in-game tricks/passwords (not GGenie) that made the game SUPER easy.

It's late and I'm kind of tired, and somehow this sounded like a good thread topic. Maybe it is, maybe not. Oh well, I'm throwing it out there.

What game tricks have you pulled (not Game Genie or Game Shark or Action Replay codes), or actual game passwords, or controller inputs (like the Konami Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A) have you done that INSTANTLY made the game a snap?

OR, it could be an item or weapon you picked up that tipped the scales TOTALLY in your favor!

The moment I discovered the kick-ass weapon, the Crissaegrim, in Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night (A rare drop from the Scarecrows in the inverted library), the game was laughably easy. This sweet weapon slashes non-stop as long as you keep wailing on the attack button and continues to cause heavy damage to even bosses (including Dracula). Also in Castlevania SOTN, the Duplicator lets you repeatedly use any item as much as you want, as long as the Duplicator is equipped. This lets you keep using the awesome Power Of Sire as much as you want, constantly blasting the enemies and bosses (also making any boss crazy-easy).

So, what controller input/in-game password/item or weapon pickup/whatever makes a particular game A BAJILLION TIMES easier?

I can think of several more examples, but I'll defer. Hmm, this thread actually does sound kinda fun!

Deadly Towers. Start a new game, get yourself killed quickly to get to password screen. Start the game with password, the password should be still there, change the first 2 digits to either FE or EF and you'd be decked out in god-like power and 1 bell obtained or burned. Then you only need to do the rest of the bells and burn em all, then find the final boss to finish it.

Game is very hard without this cheat because you had to farm currencies, explore a few hidden labyrinths to find stores and buy upgraded gears and finding hearts to extend your life. Deadly Towers for NES is one of those games that you either like or really hate it . I believe it was very popular in Japan but a flop in USA.

• Like 1

^ Good entry. I remember DT and gave it more gameplay than it really deserved..

ICARUS FIGHTS MEDUSA ANGELS gives you invincibility part way through KID ICARUS. Also tons of feathers and hammers.

MEGA MAN 3 was ridiculously easy when you hold Right on controller 2 while jumping-- you jump SUPER high and can jump right out of pits! While in the pit, if an enemy flies overhead and reduces your energy to zero (easy to do), you can jump out and be invincible. But you have to use special weapons or call up Rush to fire.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit had a memorable password. It was LL and then nothing but a bunch of H and the last two inputs were 3B. This password let you start with all four pieces of Mr. Acme's will, and every weapon/item in the game (except dynamite). It was odd to start the game with all pieces of the will and every weapon but no dynamite, considering that some of those weapons are only available in Toon Town and you cannot enter Toon Town without first having dynamite.

The debug mode code in Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis was another one of those codes that made a game terribly easy. With debug mode, it was impossible NOT to get all the Chaos Emeralds. I had fun using it to turn into a coin and just put a bunch of coins in the air and grab them. I memorized the code back in the day, but I would have to look it up now if I wanted to use it.

• Like 1

^ Oh my God, totally agreed! I did that too with the coins.. I also had fun making bricks over and over and over again, then changing back to Sonic and bouncing on them all, making my score go bonkers. And dying on spikes or falling into an abyss and dying, then in mid-death pose change into something and continue on.

One more before I hit the hay..

WILD ARMS was a fantastic RPG on the PS1. And you would seriously kick ass at it once you did a trick to get tons of stat-boosting apples; during a fight choose an apple that you only have ONE of (or you can do this with any item, but apples are best). Have Rudy use a Heal Berry. Have Jack use one too. Now with Cecilia select the Heal Berry with the cursor but switch it with the item you want duplicated. Exit the item screen and have Cecilia defend. When your turns are over check your items; the one you switched with the Heal Berry is now 255! Since the apples boost stats you can make all your characters insanely powerful!

One more before I hit the hay..

WILD ARMS was a fantastic RPG on the PS1. And you would seriously kick ass at it once you did a trick to get tons of stat-boosting apples; during a fight choose an apple that you only have ONE of (or you can do this with any item, but apples are best). Have Rudy use a Heal Berry. Have Jack use one too. Now with Cecilia select the Heal Berry with the cursor but switch it with the item you want duplicated. Exit the item screen and have Cecilia defend. When your turns are over check your items; the one you switched with the Heal Berry is now 255! Since the apples boost stats you can make all your characters insanely powerful!

That sounds like the W-item duplication trick I used in Final Fantasy VII; unfortunately, because the sources were not in-battle items, you could not duplicate those. Had no problem creating 99 megalixir, though!

• Like 1

In Friday the 13th (NES), there was a trick to getting the torch quickly without having to light all the fireplaces. If you light one or two fireplaces in the trail area outside of the cave's trail area, you'll get a note that tells you to go to one of the cabins by the woods/lake (memory escapes me at the moment). Make sure to have a key, then go into the cabin that is IN the woods and you will find a note telling you that fire will damage Jason the most; at this point, go to the cabin by the lake where you will find the torch and there it is!

The debug mode code in Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis was another one of those codes that made a game terribly easy. With debug mode, it was impossible NOT to get all the Chaos Emeralds. I had fun using it to turn into a coin and just put a bunch of coins in the air and grab them. I memorized the code back in the day, but I would have to look it up now if I wanted to use it.

Up, down, left, right, hold A and push start on the title screen. One of the few codes I've never forgotten. :)

Aladdin on the Genesis had a code where you could, at any point, pause and enter a-b-b-a-a-b-b-a... and finish the stage. Straight-up instant complete. I remember finding a demo kiosk at Disneyland, and doing that over and over again. Beat the game in 5ish minutes, I think. There was a very confused man who came to see the credits rolling as I walked away.

• Like 1

Mega Man was much easier when you did 2 things with the boss robots:

1. Learn what weapon works better against which boss. If I remember correctly-- Gutsman: use bombs; Bombman: use fire; Fireman: use ice; Iceman: use electricity; Elecman: use Cutman boomerangs; Cutman: use Gutsman's strength and lift the boulders to throw at him.

2. Use the pause trick! Pause/unpause quickly and repeatedly as your shots go through a boss. They will register several hits instead of just one. Especially useful when utilizing the above "boss weakness" trick.

If you have FLASHBACK for an emulator, there is a trick that I guess you can't do on the regular console that makes the game a snap/more interesting (though you can easily crash the game by accident). Walk into a wall. Tap away to put your back to it. Hold down the "run" button and press away again to start running and immediately LET GO of the run button, and pull back towards the wall. If you did it right Conrad will skid as he turns back towards the wall and will WALK THROUGH IT. To continue on you must hold run button while moving. Do the trick again to get through another wall to the outside area. In the console version you run too far before you skid, so the trick won't work. With this trick the final level is especially a snap-- you just go through walls to the right and eventually beat the game.

I discovered a secret trick for Arkanoid NES way before anyone knew about it.

Press 'Pause' midgame and then keep mashing all the buttons together. You will be able to skip levels that way!

As far as my current favorite type in password... Definitely the "JUSTIN BAILEY" password for Metroid. Type that name and all dashes underneath and it will take you to the Norfair level with Samus without her armor,full energy tanks,and the ice ray!!!! :love:

• Like 1

I discovered a secret trick for Arkanoid NES way before anyone knew about it.

Press 'Pause' midgame and then keep mashing all the buttons together. You will be able to skip levels that way!

As far as my current favorite type in password... Definitely the "JUSTIN BAILEY" password for Metroid. Type that name and all dashes underneath and it will take you to the Norfair level with Samus without her armor,full energy tanks,and the ice ray!!!! :love:

The "Engage Ridley" password was definitely the more hilarious one.

Kid Icarus is a tough game and chances are a number of people have never seen the final level. With this password, however, you will. Go to the password screen and enter KIDKID ICARUS KIDKID ICARUS. Not only will you get to the final level right away, but you'll also be invincible. Take that, eggplants!

• Like 1

HELPME comes to mind. It didn't make Castlevania 3 super easy, but... super... almost possible.

Speaking of Doom how'd you forget IDSPISPOPD? DUH!

I can't remember the ammo/weapons code in Wolf3d but I remember having a really rough time getting too far without it. And of course, ABBA!

Back when I had the patience, the create, strip, sell, delete tricks for games like Ultima, DQ3, etc. were invaluable to get a good start. Of course in DQ3, this also led to my (and probably everybody's) accidental discovery of the early Hero spell glitch... double whammy!

DULLARD (Down, Up, Left, Left, A, Right, Down) unlocked all the flags in MORTAL KOMBAT (that in turn could unlock Reptile and the Pit) on numerous home versions.

Just Genesis, AFAIK. There was also ABACABB, the blood code.

I can't remember the ammo/weapons code in Wolf3d but I remember having a really rough time getting too far without it.

MIL.

Descent. GABBAGABBAHEY would activate cheat mode, and then different codes after that would grant different weapons, power-ups, level jumps and so on. Let me just say that, to this day, there is something oddly satisfying about taking out one of those little orange mosquitoes with a Mega Missile.

Descent II also had cheat codes, but they weren't quite the same ones. In fact D2 did not require any one particular code before others for cheat mode, and if you entered GABBAGABBAHEY, you were left with a severely crippled ship as "punishment" for cheating!

Arcade Mortal Kombat 3 and its Ultimate apology had various codes that could be entered at the beginning of a two-player fight. My personal favorite was "Throwing Encouraged". Every throw would get praise, just to annoy those who insist throwing isn't a legitimate way to play fighting games. None of these codes necessarily made the game easier overall, especially since they were only for the two-player version, but certain codes did provide shortcuts to seeing some of the hidden characters and other buried features that normally would take much more effort to uncover.