IGNORED

I think I've got Atlantis II; how to make sure it's genuine?

marvinnl

Hi! This is my fist post here on AtariAge, this seemed like the right place to ask for advice.
I recently got a couple of Atari games from an uncle in the USA (to relive the old times :-)). One of these games was Atlantis, but with a typed Atlantis II sticker stuck on the box.

Some Googling later, it turned out that this is the very rare competition version of Atlantis with a different scoring system and a lot faster gameplay. The game in general seems to be a lot harder than the original Atlantis. I guess that's why I've never really got that far into it ;-) Anyway, looking at the prices these things seem to go for on eBay, we've decided to sell the game as my uncle said he isn't really that attached to it. I've asked how he got the cart in the first place, but he said he could not really recall that, unfortunately.

I would love it if this game ended up in the hands of a caring video game collector :-) I however want to absolutely make sure this game is the real deal.
Looking at some older topics here, the main differences with the original Atlantis are:
-Atlantis II sticker on the box (check!)
-Different, much slower scoring system (check!)
-Different font for scoring system (check!)
-Faster moving enemies (check!)
-Slightly higher cartridge weight (not sure, I haven't got a proper scale)

I've taken some high resolution photos of the box, cart and the cart in the Atari (in B&W mode only unfortunately, my Atari is a bit crusty. This is the same for all the games I plug into it):
LA0T4rB.jpg

1fIUJp5.jpg

QVWt15y.jpg

Eo51aFv.jpg

So, is it safe to say this really is Atlantis II or are these some other things I can check?

• Like 1

The ROM clearly is Atlantis II.

Can't tell about the cart itself, could still be a reproduction.

Great to hear! Do you know how to check the cart itself without opening it?

I've found that repro carts usually have a black blobbed chip instead of the metal shielded chips Imagic used. I've poked the cart with a magnet and it clearly was attracted to the middle of the cart, I could even very slightly wobble the PCB.

LOL, I still have that sledgehammer. That was actually my wife smashing the E.T. cart btw.!

I just updated the image in the post you replied to. I noticed a few places that I missed. The original video had a bunch of brightness changes and some shakiness, so after turning it into a GIF, I copied parts of one frame into the other frames so it would be stable and have a consistent brightness.

youtube.com/watch?v=iktwui_3IPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iktwui_3IPQ

post-13-0-55311600-1459110533.gif

• Like 1

Congrats! The best thing honestly might be to put it up on eBay with lots of photos and proof it works, and let market forces decide. Unless someone here makes an offer you can't refuse...

I've taken some high resolution photos of the box, cart and the cart in the Atari (in B&W mode only unfortunately, my Atari is a bit crusty. This is the same for all the games I plug into it):

Well, if it's a PAL 2600 you're using there, and the games are NTSC, then the colours are mostly certainly going to be wrong for starters.

Congrats! The best thing honestly might be to put it up on eBay with lots of photos and proof it works, and let market forces decide. Unless someone here makes an offer you can't refuse...

Well, if it's a PAL 2600 you're using there, and the games are NTSC, then the colours are mostly certainly going to be wrong for starters.

Thanks! I will wait a couple of days for more suggestions and/or offers to trickle in, but to me eBay sounds like the right choice as well.

About the colours: my Atari was modded a long time ago so I can use it on the composite input instead of the antenna input, but it seems that the parts have drifted or something. The colour channels don't seem to "line up" properly, everything kind of has a red or blue border around it, both PAL and NTSC carts. Maybe the Atari is trying to tell me I just have to buy a new one ;-)

I don't know man. I think everyone here is being extra polite, extra naive, or maybe asleep at the wheel.

-- bran new member, just joined yesterday, and this is the first post.

-- classic typical story of "I got this from an older relative".

-- the sticker on the box is meaningless. Anyone can use an old typewriter and Avery sticker labels and recreate it.

-- the cartridge clearly shows that the label has damage consistent with having been lifted whereas cart was opened.

-- now looking to move it and cash in.

It never ceases to amaze me how this place is Candyland. It's all rainbows and waterfalls around here. This guy would have been crucified over at the other sites.

Use a hairdryer and lift the rest of that label and show us the rom inside that cart. Otherwise, buyer beware; there be a hex inverter & EPROM ta greet ya at Davy Jones locker!

Edited by Supergun
  • Like 1

I don't know man. I think everyone here is being extra polite, extra naive, or maybe asleep at the wheel.

-- the sticker on the box is meaningless. Anyone can use an old typewriter and Avery sticker labels and recreate it.

-- the cartridge clearly shows that the label has damage consistent with having been lifted whereas cart was opened.

It never ceases to amaze me how this place is Candyland. It's all rainbows and waterfalls around here. This guy would have been crucified over at the other sites.

Use a hairdryer and lift the rest of that label and show us the rom inside that cart. Otherwise, buyer beware; there be a hex inverter & EPROM ta greet ya at Davy Jones locker!

Probably because everyone is not mean spirited around here.

• Like 3

That's why I love AtariAge. I'm not on any other sites for that exact reason: many have large amounts of mean people who refuse to accept new users or anyone who disagrees with them. Obviously there are mean people all over the internet, but AtariAge has a great community with kind users and many helpful people. Also, a woman once found a copy of NTSC Stadium Events (NES) CiB in a goodwill. Things happen.

Congrats Marvinnl on your find! It does seem legitimate at a glance (I believe Atlantis II was marked with a sticker on the cart or box IIRC?), but the only way to really know (other than smashing it ;) ) is to open it up.

• Like 2

Supergun, on 27 Mar 2016 - 6:47 PM, said:

I don't know man. I think everyone here is being extra polite, extra naive, or maybe asleep at the wheel...

Yeah! How dare that guy post something about the Atari 2600 in the Atari 2600 forum!

Your delineation between two extremes is funny...if people aren't being over-the-top assholes for no defensible reason, it's "rainbows and waterfalls." How about just trying to be cool? That's "amazing" now? Weird.

• Like 3

Professional Courtesy?

Ok, forget arguing the courtesy, how about just arguing the professional?

Members here who have been here longer and with higher post counts and even with positive feedback ratings have had to show more proof when selling less rare items then this rookie newbie has for this grail item.

If that seems fine to you, then so be it. I guess someone here has to get burned before the community learns to check the stove first.

Professional Courtesy?

Members here who have been here longer and with higher post counts and even with positive feedback ratings have had to show more proof when selling less rare items then this rookie newbie has for this grail item.

If that seems fine to you, then so be it. I guess someone here has to get burned before the community learns to check the stove first.

Not to sound rude, but I think you're missing the point of my topic here. I'm not saying "OMG guys buy my Atlantis II!! MOAR MONEYZ!!!" but I'm looking for advice on verifying the authenticity of my finding. I'm glad you're around actually, because apparently the images I've showed here are not sufficient to convince you that my cart is the real deal. So, what would be needed for you to see that this really is Atlantis II?

• Like 2

Professional Courtesy?

Do you still have, or ever had any friends? Just curious.

• Like 1

Not to sound rude, but I think you're missing the point of my topic here. I'm not saying "OMG guys buy my Atlantis II!! MOAR MONEYZ!!!" but I'm looking for advice on verifying the authenticity of my finding. I'm glad you're around actually, because apparently the images I've showed here are not sufficient to convince you that my cart is the real deal. So, what would be needed for you to see that this really is Atlantis II?

Try to take a high resolution up close pic of the edge connector from the board if you can. And even then, still could be an original imagic board with a rigged rom. Truthfully, the only 100% way to prove it is genuine is to open it; but of course, most people won't do that. No worries anyhow, surely someone here or on eBay will buy it regardless.

So, what would be needed for you to see that this really is Atlantis II?

Has anyone suggested weighing the cartridge yet? If it was a reproduction, it would probably contain a 2732 EPROM and a 7404 inverter, which would result in a greater weight than a genuine cartridge. I suggest using a small digital postage scale. Get as precise a measurement as you can, and post a picture of the cartridge sitting on the scale with the weight visible on the screen. Those of us who have genuine Atlantis II cartridges can then compare it with their own cartridge weights.

(For whatever it's worth, your cartridge looks genuine enough to me, but it's always good to do everything short of opening it up to make sure.)

To be fair, I totally see your point; but this doesn't seem to be a thread about buying / selling, and I think a lot of members have simply learned that there's no purpose in being grumpy toward someone with a question if nothing's really at stake. It's not some over-corny "Candyland," just trying not to be jerks. If actual transactions were eventually to be discussed, I think you'd see plenty of fine-toothed combs open like switchblades.

• Like 1

Yes, but the cart sticker already has damage. Damage that is completely consistent with it having been peeled up before. Maybe not my the OP, but by someone in the past.

It's the classic counterfeit bill argument. Your free and clear if it's found to be a fake by just saying it was given to you and you didn't know.

Edited by Supergun

Yes, but the cart sticker already has damage. Damage that is completely consistent with it having been peeled up before. Maybe not my the OP, but by someone in the past.

It's the classic counterfeit bill argument. Your free and clear if it's found to be a fake by just saying it was given to you and you didn't know.

The only damage I can really see to the label is to the portion which folds over the front face, which isn't unusual for Imagic cartridges. I've seen peeling on several of my own Imagic cartridges, none of which have been opened.

Carefully sliding a fingernail underneath the corner of a sticker, carefully applying heat from a hair dryer, and carefully peeling the label just to the point where the screws are exposed in the case so it can be opened, modified, and then reseated, is 100% possible.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMIX1c3VQ_k

Look, my intention was not to derail this guys thread. It just looked fishy to me; not just the item, but the poor analysis of it by the initial posters in the thread. So I just didn't want someone here getting burned. But yes, your right, I guess it's not really my f...ing problem if that happens anyway.

Edited by Supergun
  • Like 1

I think the damage to the cart label is just caused by me and my nephews using it when we were kids ;-) Anyway, to be honest I'm quite curious now too what actually is in this cartridge. I think I'm semi-competent enough (;-)) to pull the label off with a hair dryer and open the thing up. My only concern is that I think this will reduce the value of the cartridge because it was opened, but on the other hand it then is proven definitely whether this really is Atlantis II.