IGNORED

Comparison photos just for a bit of fun

Guitari

Cool, didn't know the Nomad was less wide than the gamegear. I'd love to get one but prices for the nomad have been astronomical this year.

I'd love to see a comparison between these systems and the toshiba libretto, a 1990s pentium laptop about the size of a VHS tape. It would be my choice for portable classic PC gaming for dos or windows 95/98 era games.
toshiba_libretto_with_nes_controller1.jp

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 1

Also, is it just my nostalgia-tinted vision, or do all the handhelds looks much more iconic, and then there's the boring practical DS? It's almost like cars, where the early days there was a spirit of experimentation and novel ideas... and then they just went safe and started selling practical and comfortable.

The Lynxes have the most daring and fun designs! :) Trew, you're right that that specific DS model looks a bit boring, but I would say that it's predecessor(s) are iconic and looked really great (game & watch multiscreen games). Even the first DS model looks great in orange and with a bit of screws and aluminium plating.

post-2915-0-76580700-1459268409_thumb.jpg

post-2915-0-24929100-1459268417_thumb.jpg

I'd love to see a comparison between these systems and the toshiba libretto, a 1990s pentium laptop about the size of a VHS tape. It would be my choice for portable classic PC gaming for dos or windows 95/98 era games.

I got to play with one of those in the late 90s at a former job. It was a neat laptop - just couldn't type with it.

Whenever I see the Lynx 1 I get the impression it was designed by the same guy who designed the stealth bomber, it is such a cool design. The Lynx 2 was designed by Batman, it looks like a handheld with armour on. Both unique and stylish. Maybe we should hold a competition to design the successor to the Lynx 1 & 2?

• Like 1

Cool, didn't know the Nomad was less wide than the gamegear. I'd love to get one but prices for the nomad have been astronomical this year.

I want a Libretto, they are so gorgeous. And the mouse pad is such genius.

• 6 months later...

I finally found some dude that commented on youtube that also thought the Lynx I looks like a skateboard ^^ Anyways both Lynxes are amongst the best looking / designed consoles ever without a doubt, and the whole size thing is completely, absurdely blown up beyond any reason, they were fine back then and the first gen handhelds are really comfortable and I see people dragging around their laptops, tablets and phablets all the time allthough those don't fit in a pocket either :)

Although I really like the GG (I bought one again a couple of days ago) I always wondered why it was designed to be wider downwards. It looks like an old ladies bag!

The Lynx II gave up comfort for size.

The Lynx I is the best of all. The amount of space between your hands, the "bulbs" where you can, in a very natural way, wrap your hands around, the buttons and direction-cross which are very comfortable and accurate, and mounted at the right places and angles (another fail of the Lynx II) .....

The Lynx I was designed with it's use in mind first. And it wasn't meant for kids from day 1. Put that next to the shoe-box "design" of the Gameboy....

Edited by Level42

+1 for Lynx I

Unfortunately I modded my Lynx II instead of my Lynx I. Big mistake. Now I have been playing mainly on my white Lynx II which is less comfortable than my Lynx I (that has a lousy screen compared to my McWill modded white Lynx).

Great comparison pictures Guitari! I've been thinking about getting a Lynx II for a while now and I never realized just how big they were until I saw your picture of one next to a Game Boy and DS Lite, both of which I already own. I always thought the Game Gear was enormous, but the Lynx II definitely has it beat in the size department. Thanks for the pictures! :)

• Like 1

Well one size can't possibly fit all, e.g. my wrists starts hurting playing Lynx I or psp, but that doesn't happen with. e.g. Lynx II, GG, Original GB, or 3DS. Also slack-gaming lying on the side in the sofa is easier with the "vertical" consoles. Still I think the Lynx I is amazing. It's feels top quality. Lynx II seems to break much more often. Might ofc be the issue that something fries in the Lynx II when putting the power cable in the headphone jack by accident, or does that happen with Lynx I too?

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx