IGNORED

Rebooteroids - Public Testing Phase (And user created level submission)

CyranoJ

Awesome stuff. Because I'm clueless (as well as being bereft of time) I haven't tried to get it on the Skunkboard yet. It works fine under Virtual Jag on the Mac (for what little that's worth). I noticed a couple of times I thought I'd destroyed all asteroids, but there was one floating horizontally right at the top / bottom of the screen. Dunno if that will come into play at all with overscan or however it all works on CRTs. Once I swear I went through the bullet from a satellite, but I could've just been arsey and got escaped at the last second. No other notable issues at this stage.

I'm getting marginally better at it now...very marginally. ;)

I found a bug that might already be discovered. After flashing to skunk, the game boots into the main menu. I start a normal game at level "60", plays fine. But after I lose all three of my lives, and it goes to the highscore screen, the audio turns into white noise. If I continue back to the main menu, everything seems to function just fine, except for the white noise audio. If I start another normal game at any level, the audio kind of comes back, but it is louder, and obviously has problems still. Also the spaceship sprite garbles up, and eventually disappears, but seems to still be functional, with bullets appearing and disappearing suddenly. If I lose all of my lives again, it goes back to white noise audio at the highscore screen.

This is the same thing that has happened to me repeatedly in testing.

I'm guessing your boards have 128 byte EEPROMS? Rebooteroids needs a 2k EEPROM on the board.

I installed an EEPROM socket. Same crash with 2k 93C86AN. For fun put in 4k 93C66 and same crash.

I noticed on real cart no music plays on initial title screen. On skunkboard there is music on that screen.

So... Rebooteroids...

First off, please accept my deepest condolences. While i normally practice 'Safe Playing' i will raise a glass to your dad before i play my first game.

Second, thank you to all involved for opening the testing phase to all the fans. I think i can safely speak on behalf of all Jaggy lovers when i say: Much appreciated!

Now, in regards to testing, as soon as i get a chance i will try it out on my Skunkboard (Rev 3) across a mix on the following models:

PAL - K

NTSC - K

NTSC - M :arrow: ONLY if i can get it going again! I tested all of my Jaguars last week and after a few cleans the M model still keeps Red-Screening! :mad: If anyone's got some real good cleaning/fixing tips for this, please let me know (or link to a good guide if known).

...It works fine under Virtual Jag on the Mac (for what little that's worth). I noticed a couple of times I thought I'd destroyed all asteroids, but there was one floating horizontally right at the top / bottom of the screen. Dunno if that will come into play at all with overscan or however it all works on CRTs. Once I swear I went through the bullet from a satellite, but I could've just been arsey and got escaped at the last second. No other notable issues at this stage.

skip, on the Virtual Jag, are you playing it in NTSC or PAL mode? If NTSC then try putting it on PAL before you load it up. This reminds me of a similar experience i had not seeing something with Downfall when i first tested out the Virtual Jag (Mac) the other day. Maybe it will work in your case too? :)

• Like 1

Just had a go on VJ PAL. Still occasionally noticeable, maybe a bit less often. Maybe that's cos I'm looking out for it.

That said, testing out the real thing on a CRT, I didn't notice it all ;)

Edited by skip

Thanks for making this available! When you need/want $$ just say the word!

For the Rom in the OP on 3/28/2016 , I have tried to run this with my Silly Skunk and Model 'K' Jag and the jcp -f <name> flash appears to work fine, but when the game loads, I get the initial 'splash screen' for a moment before it goes to the 'Rebooteroids - Copyright' screen; pressing B (or waiting) goes to just a black screen and nothing else occurs. I appear to be able to flash other files without issue. Any suggestions on what I shoiuld try next? I have tried both a rotary controller plugged in (rotary on the back of the controller type) and a regular unmodified controller. I have removed the JagCD from the mix and plugged the skunk into the Jag Cart port.

I tried flashing it to each of the Skunk banks to no avail and then tested the Joust ROM which worked fine.

Any thoughts/ideas what I should try next?

Just found out I have two K Jaguars instead of how I remembered one K, one M (so no help on the M front :-/)

Anyway at very first I had the same issue as in the quote above, splashscreens and then nothing. That was on my 60HZ modified Pal K Jaguar, then I switched to the unmodified 50HZ Pal K Jaguar and the game run.

Curiously enough after changing back to the modified Jaguar it also ran there without issues...

I was using a Skunk Rev2 board to test the game on both units.

Other than that I must say I'm impressed, really dig the artstyle and the music is marvelous.

Will play around some more to see and find if I can find something...

Oh and I am still bad at asteroids... ;-)

Edited by PeterG

Just tested it out on the Skunk on two other K model Jaguars. The first one doesn't get past the title screen, but the second works similar to the first K model I tested on, and works fine.

We have been playing allot of multiplayer and have found a possible bug. It happens in Kombateroids, and the results are that second player's control becomes unresponsive with the sprite still onscreen but undetectable/uncollidable/invincible. The moment this happens first player's score jumps up to a random high number (100+). The first player can continue to play, and even finish the wave, but the second player's glitched state remains unchanged between waves. We have been able to reproduce this 4 times in a row. The bug seems consistent.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Plug in two standard Jaguar controllers

2. Start the game

3. On the Main Menu select Kombateroids

4. On the Kombateroids menu select the following options from top to bottom:

---Best of 25

---Being Followed

---Random Map

---30 Seconds

---Death Location

5. Start the multiplayer game

6. Both first and second player hold down the thrust button "B", while holding down the fire button "A", without turning.

8. After 10-15 seconds the glitch will occur

Let me know if you need additional information.

Edited by lachoneus

Just found out I have two K Jaguars instead of how I remembered one K, one M (so no help on the M front :-/)

Anyway at very first I had the same issue as in the quote above, splashscreens and then nothing. That was on my 60HZ modified Pal K Jaguar, then I switched to the unmodified 50HZ Pal K Jaguar and the game run.

Curiously enough after changing back to the modified Jaguar it also ran there without issues...

I was using a Skunk Rev2 board to test the game on both units.

Other than that I must say I'm impressed, really dig the artstyle and the music is marvelous.

Will play around some more to see and find if I can find something...

Oh and I am still bad at asteroids... ;-)

Thanks for quoting my issue - my Jag is an unmodified near launch model. I've tried a few more times to flash but have had no luck.

Found another possible audio bug, and please tell me to shut up if you already know about this. :)

On one of my K models, all the music in the game (that I know of) plays at <50% speed. The samples for the music sound fine, it just doesn't play the music at the same speed as my other K model. Everything else seems fine, I tested gameplay (single/multiplayer), menus, ect... Also sound effects (bullets, explosions) seem unaffected.

I have tried re-flashing the rom to my sunk several times with the same results, and I have tested the same flash copy on another K model and the music sounds fine. I am not sure what other information I could give to help solve this possible issue, please let me know if there is any more info I could provide that might help clarify the problem.

To make sure that the console was working properly I tested several other games with no apparent issues.

Found out why your real carts don't work:

move.w MEMCON1,d0
bset #1,d0
bclr #2,d0
bset #3,d0
bset #4,d0
bclr #7,d0
move.w d0,MEMCON1

Which is ok for Skunkboard and Jagtopus, but not, I suspect, for a real board. New ROM being posted in the first post.

• Like 4

I wrote the Rebooteroids ROM onto my Skunk Rev 2 and tried it out with two NTSC K-model Jaguars.

I have put in about 20 minutes on each. No significant glitches or problems on the first machine; I played several rounds, and wrote my initials into the high score table two or three times.

On the second K-model, I made it to several waves into one game, died, and then tried writing my initials in the high score table. At the second letter, the music went to white noise, and I could only move left and right between the letters B and C. Eventually I had to power cycle the Jaguar to move on.

As for the game itself - great shooter! I have always enjoyed Asteroids since the original arcade days, and I think Rebooteroids does look like something Jeff Minter might have worked at as an 'Asteroids 2000' release. The rapid fire shooting, the controls, the music, the graphics with the particle-ized scores - it all looks and plays really nicely.

post-8320-0-54488600-1459312509_thumb.jpg

Edited by ls650

I just played another 20 minutes in the Skirmish mode, which I think is closer to arcade Asteroids and which I prefer over the standard wave mode.

Lots of fun, although I saw at least one more white noise lockup in the high score save screen.