IGNORED

Rebooteroids - Public Testing Phase (And user created level submission)

CyranoJ

Quick request - for those who are able - could you please test the multiplayer modes? This part of the game is probably the least tested :)

The Mrs & kid have been shipped to the in-laws for the weekend and 'The Boyz' will be around Sat night for some multi-player testing on the latest ROM! ;)

#Priorities

• Like 5

NTSC Model M Jag. Flashed the 0421-1847 ROM to a Rev 3 Skunkboard this morning.

Played Kombateroids.

First play through seemed good. Not exactly clear on how the game decides when things are over, but on what was probably the 10th screen, the game suddenly decided Player 1 had won.

Then returned us to the Kombateroids game selection screen (Level to start on, Best of etc).

Restarted game and both controllers are dead. No response. And no sound either. Each level now just times out.

And the end of that, the game again determines Player 1 is the winner. But now it is impossible to navigate away from the "Kombat is over" screen.

In the co-op modes, my 16 year old also notes that when the Player 1 ship color is green, and the Player 2 ship color is blue, it makes it very hard to see which direction the cannon is facing. Otherwise he loves the game and noted that he had no idea the Jag was so awesome. (He's a Nintendo guy).

• Like 1

NTSC Model M Jag. Flashed the 0421-1847 ROM to a Rev 3 Skunkboard this morning.

More Kombateroids testing.

Test 1 - Game options page appears, start game, the text "A View to a Kill" was garbled. Game unresponsive to controls. Shortly after crashed (black screen/no sound).

Test 2 - Game started ok, but controls unresponsive.

Test 3 - Game played ok until combined scores equaled 25 and declared the victor. Tried to restart game and found controls unresponsive/no sound.

I'm hoping that there will be lots of multiplayer testing for you tomorrow at Play Expo Blackpool. I'm taking a couple of rotaries (1chaos reins 1 tyrant) Will report back on any issues I see.

Ugh! So gutted I missed this. A guy from the Museum of Gaming (older guy with a beard) came through to the Traders Hall to photograph the Jag games I had for sale (to send his friend, who wanted them) on my stall and told me you had been and gone, exhibiting Rebooteroids and Xenon 2 for Jag. He gave me a printout of the Green card you posted earlier though, which was cool of him.

Would have loved to have tried these but, was pretty busy saleswise on Saturday so had no time to spare. I did manage to squeeze a game in on that HOTDead cab though ;)

• Like 1

I managed to spend a little time on this (along with Gaztee) at Play. Its still as good as the previous few times I've played it (at other shows). The tiny TVs Gaztee had borrowed really didn't do the game justice, when compared to sh3-rg's monster TV jag show rig ;).

Unfortunately, I didn't get any play time on Xenon, but it looked good.

I managed to spend a little time on this (along with Gazee) at Play. Its still as good as the previous few times I've played it (at other shows). The tiny TVs Gaztee had borrowed really didn't do the game justice, when compared to sh3-rg's monster TV jag show rig ;).

Unfortunately, I didn't get any play time on Xenon, but it looked good.

I'm sure they'll get bigger screens next time they're shown in public ;)

• Like 1

Could you please explain the rotary control options.

I picked up a rotary controller made by persijn. (He's selling 3 different styles on ebay)

Played with settings. Got a fast responsive spinner with:

Rotary rate - all the way to the right

Rotary trim - middle between right and left

I noticed many combinations left spinner basically unresponsive. Can't seem to figure out why.

Also suggestion - option to reset controller settings back to default

Thanks.

Rotary Rate:

This is how much the ship turns (angular) per click of the spinner. Far left is 1 step (there are 512 in a circle) and far right is (I can't remember, I'm at work, but quite a lot more)

Rotary Trim:

This is how often the rotary gets polled for a new value. Left is less, right is more. The polling interval will be affected by how fast you turn the spinner, so different people will have different values here, which is why I left it as a user option.

It's almost impossible to get a good rotary response on multiple types of rotaries with a single piece of code, due to the different steps/complete rotation. Find a setting that works for you and stick with it :) It should (assuming it works) save the settings to the EEPROM.

• Like 4

So, i crashed the Commodore/Amiga Users Group monthly club meet-up with my Atari Jaguar and Rebooteroids :-D

I thought this would be a good place to test the 2P versions of the game, and i wasn't wrong! After copping some 'WTF greasies' people came up, enjoyed the viasual and audio experience, and then sat down to both 1P and 2P games. It was a hit :)

I have to say, i was surprised that the biggest hit of the night was not the Single player but both the co-op multiplayer games, with Kombateroids coming in at least played. I myself was surprised at just how much fun i was having either navigating the ship or being the gunner! I don't normally get into two people controlling the same ship but i have to say, this is now my favourite way to play Rebooteroids! :)

On the night we played on a PAL, K-model Jag. I did bring an NTSC K model to test on as well, but we just got caught up in the fun and i forgot all about the changeover!

We did not find any issues from playing the co-op games. Having said that, as many wanted to play, no one kept playing for ages to make it further along into the games to give others a go, so i can't vouch for gameplay at the later levels. Also, each game of Kombateroids only lasted pretty quick with people only playing the one round before wanting to go back to playing co-op.

The only 'bug' i did encounter was in the High Score name entering part: it would only allow for 8 characters maximum so Serblander was cruelly cut down to Serbland :D But i believe this is a common bug in Reboot games :P

I managed to get a few pics of the play. Unfortunately, i remembered all too late at the end of the night after most people went home. I guess that's testament to how much fun Rebooteroids is to play :)

post-4088-0-53868100-1463747711_thumb.jpg post-4088-0-07730200-1463747731_thumb.jpg post-4088-0-85526100-1463747751_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Tried the latest rom image tonight. I have played a lot of Asteriods clones, but I really like the ship turning from red to green with the speed up. I think that adds a unique element (among a few others) that I have not seen before. And a fun one.

L14, L61 and L64 all had bad map data - these have been fixed up (They were causing corrupted graphics on the bonus pickups)

No new ROM yet, working on a few more things first, just letting everyone know not to report it!

Thanks to Sauron for finding this one!

• Like 4

Damn some peeps be good! Well done to the guns who can make it that far! Unfortunately i never got to test that far into the game.

Neither did I, for that matter (for those latter two levels). However, it's easy enough to jump ahead when starting a game. But just finding the problem with L14 allowed CJ to find the other two "bad" levels.

• Like 3

Neither did I, for that matter (for those latter two levels). However, it's easy enough to jump ahead when starting a game. But just finding the problem with L14 allowed CJ to find the other two "bad" levels.

Good point! I never even thought of this as i never jump ahead of levels, always start from 1st level (ever since i remember / Tempest 2000).

Good point! I never even thought of this as i never jump ahead of levels, always start from 1st level (ever since i remember / Tempest 2000).

If I'm just playing a game for fun, then that's what I do too. However, the Reboot guys still have me listed on their page as a member, so I figured I should start doing something productive. :cool:

• Like 5

If I'm just playing a game for fun, then that's what I do too. However, the Reboot guys still have me listed on their page as a member, so I figured I should start doing something productive. :cool:

What gets me is, i didn't even THINK of skipping ahead to test! i just kept restarting from the beginning like a bloody robot! :lol:

You mentioned that a space invader level was already created. Is that currently in the game?

Not the one on here.... I'll have a new build shortly with a few minor fixes (and the fixed levels from a few posts ago) - not sure the special levels will be in it, I'd like to keep something back for the final release :D

• Like 4