IGNORED

MacRorie's RT8 Replacement Cartridge Interest Thread

MacRorie

Folks,

After long last, the RT8 Replacement cartridge is available for pre-order. This is an interest thread. I am about to order the PCBs for both "flavors" and I need to know how many to get.

Cost will be $35-$40 +SHIPPING This is $30+ cheaper than the original list price of ICD's R-Time 8!! Retro got CHEAPER OMG!

Flavor #1: Complete Standalone

This version is a complete stand alone replacement for the ICD R-Time 8 Cartridge. It is 100% compatible with all drivers and software made for the R-Time 8. Thanks to DropCheck's SDX cart design (albeit slightly modified) this is a complete passthrough and works great AS DESIGNED. This means that if you have an original SDX cart, it goes in first. Then RT8, then language, etc cart. The cartridges will be BLACK (not blue as pictured) from HatchBox PLA. I think this is very sturdy material and has held up to multiple uses. It will, if dropped from a height onto concrete, break. But, then, so would the original.

This features socketed batteries and chips for easy replacement. It also has the original beefy CR2430 (280 mAh) battery for a long life.

$40 + actual shipping.

Flavor #2: Drop-in replacement

This version is a complete DROP-IN replacement for the ICD R-Time 8 Cartridge. It is 100% compatible with all drivers and software made for the R-Time 8. You will need an original ICD/FTe cart (even an SDX shell will work) and it works great AS DESIGNED. This means that if you have an original SDX cart, it goes in first. No cartridge is provided.

This features socketed batteries and chips for easy replacement. It also has the a smaller but still very long-lasting CR2032 (225 mAh) battery for a long life. These batteries are a little easier to find and, thus, a little cheaper.

$35 + actual shipping.

OPTION (only available with Flavor #1):

You may, at your option, pick a color for your case. If I can produce the case in PLA/ABS without too much failure rate, you can change the color for an additional $5.

BTW: These work PERFECTLY with the ULTIMATE! Cart version of SDX! They would also work with a 1MB AtariMax Version of SDX.

I expect that these will be ready for delivery about June 15th.

Shipping can be calculated from United States zip code 95695.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Post below or PM me your interest.

Pics & Links:

post-16779-0-61117300-1459299385_thumb.jpg

post-16779-0-43037700-1459299386_thumb.jpg

post-16779-0-27716400-1459299387_thumb.jpg

Hello MacRorie

Just to clear things up: The PCB used in both flavors is the same?

I've always wanted an RT8, even though I'll probably never use a DOS that can use it. Not sure yet about the flavor.

Sincerely

Mathy

No, two different PCBs.

The nice thing about the RT8 is that there are drivers for non-SDX DOSes. Just look for the R-Time8 toolkit and there is an autorun.sys driver for it. I do not know how 2.5 etc would access it, you would have to code that, I think.

Hey MacRorie, I think i will be getting into one of these.. maybe..

I have a question - the real RT8 - I think I have one.. the cart has no sticker on it.. its grey with the pass through.. but when I put it in with my sparta DOS it says no RT8 found.

If the battery is dead.. which I assume it would be.. can I crack this open and replace the battery?

James

Hey MacRorie, I think i will be getting into one of these.. maybe..

I have a question - the real RT8 - I think I have one.. the cart has no sticker on it.. its grey with the pass through.. but when I put it in with my sparta DOS it says no RT8 found.

If the battery is dead.. which I assume it would be.. can I crack this open and replace the battery?

James

Yes, but *in the original R-Time8* the batteries were soldered to the board, so you will have to de-solder the current battery, install a holder, and then put the battery in it. Holders for the CR2430 (what is in the original R-Time8) are a bit large, so it will be tight, but doable. The CR2032 is smaller, but I am not sure the pins for the holder will line up easily.

Yes, it is of the standalone version with an Ultimate Cart attached. Ultimate cart is, of course, NOT included.

Both the drop in and the stand alone are passthrough cartridges. They both work 100% as the original.

Hello MacRorie

In that case, I absolutely do not need either. But I'll take two of "Flavor 2" anyhow. Since I don't really need them, I'll have plenty of time to find the right cartridge shells. :D :grin: :-D

Sincerely

Mathy

Okay, I just want to be clear: Flavor #2 is a passthrough, yes. It is also a PCB designed to drop into an *original* SDX or R-Time8 cartridge.

The picture with the Ultimate cartridge attached is Flavor #1. A Standalone cart.

I have edited the pics for clarity

Hello MacRorie

That's how I understood it. But thank you for the extra explanation.

An RT8 cartridge has been on my "me want!!!!" list for decades. So I'll take two of "flavor 2" (as I said above).

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Hello MacRorie

That's how I understood it.

An RT8 cartridge has been on my "me want!!!!" list for decades. So I'll take two of "flavor 2" (as I said above).

Sincerely

Mathy

Cool!

Mine, too! (Thus, the project!)

This is amazing news!

I have another question for you:

I would like to purchase TWO of FLAVOR #1, and I want spare parts (like the RTC chip).

Is that something we can talk about?

I will certainly keep it in mind. For right now, I am going to keep spare parts for any repairs/problems that pop up. I will eventually move all sales to the BBS once I can get it stable.

I will certainly keep it in mind. For right now, I am going to keep spare parts for any repairs/problems that pop up. I will eventually move all sales to the BBS once I can get it stable.

Okay... then let me first stick to TWO carts flavor #1. I don't want to miss this (I love your remake of the RT8)!

Did I understand right those RTC chips are available again on the internet? I could buy them myself somewhere perhaps.

Okay... then let me first stick to TWO carts flavor #1. I don't want to miss this (I love your remake of the RT8)!

Did I understand right those RTC chips are available again on the internet? I could buy them myself somewhere perhaps.

Cool. All parts that were not on hand, have been ordered. I expect them to be available for sale no later than 16 June.

You could indeed.

Hey MacRorie, I thought you might like to see this. I opened up my RT8 tonight.. maybe mine was one of the last???

2urld9e.jpgr2p1qv.jpg

I had 2 original R-Time 8's. One had the battery in a socket, the other was soldered directly. The socketed one, I simply changed the battery and it's running fine right now in one of my 800xls. However, I don't remember if the battery was a 2430 or a 2325.... I just know I was able to find it a Walgreens so it wasn't THAT uncommon.

Edited by Tillek

yeah.. but really as long as its THICK enough to work .. you should be fine.. I just put a clock battery from an old MB into mine tonight.. its the 2032 or something.. so not as wide but was held nice and snug in the socket clip. :)

SO wont be needing a new on for now MacRorie.. thanks for all the work though.

James

Looks like the socket vs. non-socket is a bit random.

The first one I bought (new) is likely from the very last batch (1997?) and came without a socket (added one myself later on). Later I bought a used one, which was bought new in the early 90's, and it came with a socket. As far I can see it's there since the beginning.