IGNORED

Could this be used?

Bikerbob

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121836121887

Could this item be used to get on the net etc.. it converts a serial device to TCPip.

Could I use this through a PR connection or an 850 and get on telnet bbs etc?

This seems to be a great price for a device we could use.. but someone more technical than me might see if this would work?

James

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121836121887

Could this item be used to get on the net etc.. it converts a serial device to TCPip.

From the description I'd say it can not be used to access telnet-BBS. It's a pretty "dumb" device, used to control serial RS232 equipment by using a network connection in stead of a direct cable connection. It's also old (drivers only support up to Win Vista).

I looked at the user manual of that online and I'm guessing it won't work well. It only implements the RXD, TXD and Ground on the RS232, so none of the handshaking or detect signals that modems would send that much of the software likely relies on.

The Lantronix is a tried and true solution. I've successfully used the UDS 10, 1100 and MSS-100 with my Ataris (both 8-bit and ST).

ok I had seen the posts with the UDS unit.. but then I saw this.. and at $12 new.. looked good. and small.

I will look at getting a uds unit.

I am new AGAIN to the atari scene.. when I was a kid I was hard core into it.. and in to the usergroup scene.. in the late 90s I was getting back into it. Then kids.. put them away for a while.

Now have them out again.

I threw away much of the floppies, but kept a 1050 and my original Atari - my 400 - I have now picked up an 800xl (last one got water damaged too badly in the late 90s)

So 800xl rev C - MOST ICs socketed. 1050 works well.

What are your suggestions.. memory.. ultimate carts? USB carts? etc..etc..

My current plan 1. Buy or build a monitor cable.. I have to use RF right now.. and its brutal.

2. get my sio2pc (serial) working.

3. get some upgrades to make it more fun and usable.. but WHAT?

I have been scouring the forum.. but so many things.. so many choices.. and still trying to figure out whats old (no longer made) whats current and good?? what are suggestions for an 800xl????