IGNORED

What's your shame list?

Most of us here are adults who now have access, thanks to technology and the passage of time, to easily play any game that we want on demand. I can put my fingers on thousands of games in ROM format for dozens of systems in a matter of a few minutes. Stuff I would have never thought possible as a kid in the 80's is common reality, so easy to do that we just go 'ho hum' at it.

And yet, it's a double edged sword. There's a saying that the curse of being a gaming adult is that we finally have the money to buy all the game we want but never have the time to play them.

Thanks to Steam and GOG I've increased my exposure to hundreds of additional games over the last few years, but the list of stuff I've not played has increased by a larger amount. There's a lot of classic games (and some modern games also) that I've heard are great, and I think I would like and WANT to play, but where to find the time?

So what's your personal 'shame' list -- great 10 out of 10 games that you've never played?

I'm sure I can think off more later, but right now, these all come to mind:

Baldur's Gate series (PC)

Legend of Mana (SNES)

Portal 1 and 2 (Steam)

Roller Coaster Tycoon series (PC)

I don't really do emulation (often) or Steam, so my shame list is all games that I've bought physical copies of over the last few years, but here's what it looks like at the moment:

The Dark Spire (Nintendo DS)

Sonic Rush (Nintendo DS)

Mazes of Fate (Game Boy Advance)

Sim City 2000 (Game Boy Advance)

Mario Golf (Game Boy Color)

Pokémon Yellow (Game Boy Color)

Shadowgate Classic (Game Boy Color)

The Final Fantasy Legend (Game Boy)

The Sword of Hope (Game Boy)

Aside from a few random outliers, you might notice a theme there. I seem to have gotten in the habit of buying highly acclaimed RPGs and then never getting around to playing them because I always feel like they're going to be too much of a time sink. I know they're going to be good games, but every time I contemplate playing one I always end up telling myself "Nah, that'll take too much time. I'll play a spaceship shooter or a platformer instead." :lol:

• Like 1

I don't think much of these 'shame' things.... no one will ever have to play/watch/read/listen to everything. Even the really good stuff. I don't think it's worth feeling oh-so-inadequate for having the very human problem of needing to stop and sleep at some point in your day. Plus, just because something is an acclaimed masterpiece doesn't mean it'll appeal to you. But, since the point here is to share a "shame", I'll just pick something that might surprise people... let's see... ah, I know.

I've owned it for years, but I've never played Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. How's THAT for "shame"?

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 1

I built up a hell of a PS3 collection, but NEVER play it and hardly did when it was new to me. Have literally spent more time updating the damned system(s) and downloading/configuring the Pinball Arcade tables than actually playing. What an unnecessarily clunky ordeal at the PS store that is. Can't even download packs or "seasons" at a time. Have to sift through each table or two, while trying to ignore the Vita versions that are mingled in. Really is a mess.

Anyway, some of my purchases, can't even be buggered to open:

Skyrim
South Park Stick of Truth
Metal Gear Rising
Wolfenstein
Star Wars Trilogy Lego
Battlefield Bad Company
Wrestling All Stars

...and I know there's a few more. :lol:

There's a crap ton of "classics" that I haven't played.

Lego series.

"Call of Duty" series.

"Bioshock" series.

"Diablo" series.

"World of Warcraft"

"Fallout" series. Except that I may have played the first or second one very briefly before deciding that it's not my thing.

In fact, pretty much all newer FPS and RPG titles for the PC. I'm not a PC gamer.

Any "Resident Evil" after the second one.

Any "Donkey Kong Country" after the third one.

"Perfect Dark"

"Donkey Kong 64"

"Super Smash Bros." series.

"Mario Party" series.

"Pokemon" series.

"Nights into Dreams"

"Sega Rally"

Newer "Castlevania" games, post "Symphony of the Night".

I've never owned a Game Boy or Game Gear.

Plus loads more.

Any Zelda after "Ocarina of Time."

Any Mario game after "Mario 64."

"Perfect Dark"

At this point, I have more games that I haven't played in the collection, than games that I have. Even on Steam.

One I haven't played in years on end? The Legend of Zelda. Same goes for any of the Final Fantasies, or even Dragon Warrior titles (which I really enjoy). Time just not as available for it as an adult. I still enjoy them when I can. I don't care if it is only once every few years I break them out, and complete them, they're still fun. I also still enjoy the aesthetics of them.

Another one that I beat on 360, but haven't even fired up on Steam is Deadly Premonition. Got it on sale, and I know that game is kooky, creepy fun. I also know it's an investment of many, many hours, and I am *still* working on Fallout 3. Lol. Part of why I've been playing older arcade, and arcade ports lately... they're quicker consumption.

I've owned it for years, but I've never played Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. How's THAT for "shame"?

I bought LoZ: The Wind Waker back when it was new and probably sunk a total of... 3 hours? max into it. I even bought the Official Strategy Guide thinking that would encourage me to play it through... but I never did.

My Neice is a big Zelda fan, she had already beaten it once playing my copy at my mother's (her grandmother's) house and always talked about how she loved that game, so I gave her both the Guide (with fold out Map) and Game itself to her last year. She'll enjoy/appreciate it then I ever did!

Edited by Torr

• 2 weeks later...

For someone who is huge on horror...I don't think I've ever played a real horror game. I'm a sham, a fraud, a phony! Woe is me!

Admittedly, it's just because my "horror awakening" was fairly recent, and because I've just had a lot of other priorities as opposed to sitting down and playing through a big, long game. But still, how can a guy like me have never played a Resident Evil or a Silent Hill? Fortunately, I found a guide online for easily emulating every game in the latter series, but that franchise is probably going to sit on the bench until the summer when I get a break from college.

There's a crap ton of "classics" that I haven't played.

"Donkey Kong 64"

I feel like it's my sworn duty to tell you...you're not missing much. The magic of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy is nowhere to be found in the leap to 3D. The soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope is great and full of character, and the boss battles are excellent...but the lion's share of the game is comprised of slow, repetitive backtracking plagued by some really awful level design. Literally the only reason anyone would ever think highly of this game is because of nostalgia - I sure know that after replaying the game two years ago. It's not an abysmal game, but...it's not nearly as a good as, say, Banjo-Kazooie.

For someone who is huge on horror...I don't think I've ever played a real horror game. I'm a sham, a fraud, a phony! Woe is me!

Admittedly, it's just because my "horror awakening" was fairly recent, and because I've just had a lot of other priorities as opposed to sitting down and playing through a big, long game. But still, how can a guy like me have never played a Resident Evil or a Silent Hill? Fortunately, I found a guide online for easily emulating every game in the latter series, but that franchise is probably going to sit on the bench until the summer when I get a break from college.

I feel like it's my sworn duty to tell you...you're not missing much. The magic of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy is nowhere to be found in the leap to 3D. The soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope is great and full of character, and the boss battles are excellent...but the lion's share of the game is comprised of slow, repetitive backtracking plagued by some really awful level design. Literally the only reason anyone would ever think highly of this game is because of nostalgia - I sure know that after replaying the game two years ago. It's not an abysmal game, but...it's not nearly as a good as, say, Banjo-Kazooie.

I'm not a big fan of the free-roaming 3D platformer genre to begin with. I never beat "Super Mario 64" and "Banjo-Kazooie."

I know how it can be to either state at a Steam Library or a shelf full of games but there are many that I have still sitting on the shelf for sure even unopened that I have yet to play and its been 20-30 years. So here is a short list for me.

Fighting Vipers ( Sega Saturn ) still wrapped collecting dust.

All of the Mass Effect games for PS3 still wrapped.

Adventure Island for the NES just the cart but its been on my shelf for 6 years now and still have not played it.

And every version of Madden I have (Genesis/Saturn/Playstation/Xbox/PS3) but i think we can all agree that you play one you have played them all.

There was another thread last year, some online publication had put together a list of the 10 best video games ever (!!) and out of those, I believe I had played at most one, if I stretched my definition of which games I have played. Then again, out of the top 50 best selling music albums ever, I may have heard songs from perhaps five of them, but couldn't place which album they origin. Same about movies apparently.

Actually I thought this was a thread about your guilty pleasures, games that you're embarrassed that you keep playing while other people question your sanity for doing it.

Just about any/every popular game & series from BITD, up to the last-gen (PS3). Well, I did play SNES LTTP.

I have the means, but not the time or energy. i'm 44 now, y'know. I'd rather spend my free time napping or watching other people do things on TV shows while I sit or lay there.

• Like 1

I buy lots of games, but don't start everything, and finish even fewer.

Someday I'm going to play through FF7 with encounters turned off and stats cheated to max, just so I can see the story of this dumb old game. It's taking up a chunk of space on my iPhone until that happens. I've tried to start it several times, first in 1997 it came out but the pace completely killed it for me. Then I gave it another real try on PSP, which at least isn't tethered to a television. The iOS version, with game-breaking-cheats enabled, is my last best hope for this.