IGNORED

Easter holiday project - Dual pokeys on an Ultimate Cart

Thanks to the efforts of foft (Mark Watson) and his Atari FPGA project, there is an open source FPGA pokey implementation available. As a little Easter bank holiday project, I thought I'd have a go at using it to make a dual pokey cartridge using a prototype of the Ultimate Cart as the starting point...

post-41252-0-12579900-1459512421_thumb.jpg

Two of the fpga pins act as audio left and right, and I've hooked them up to a low pass filter on some perfboard, along with a 3.5mm stereo jack (which leads to my TV's audio input).

It was pretty easy to make a firmware for the Ultimate Cart that included two of foft's pokeys, his DAC and a bit of VHDL to hook them up to the cartridge port.

Then I modified TMC and RMTPlayer (with a hex editor) to output to the two pokeys at $D50x and $D58x.

I guess technically this atari has 3 pokeys now (one inside, and two on the cartridge). The two pokeys use about 10% of the Ultimate Cart's FPGA, so there is plenty room for more.

This was just for fun, and perhaps to show a little of what is possible with a FPGA hooked up to the cart port. To make a proper external dual pokey, we'd probably want to use ECI+Cart port, so the pokeys could appear in the correct places in the memory map.

MP3 of TMC playing via the dual pokeys attached.

SynthyGambol_vhdl_pokey.mp3

Edited by electrotrains
  • Like 11

I'm assuming this can't be added to the current Ultimate cart? :-)

The need for the low pass filter (2 resistors + 2 caps) and headphone jack would make it a pretty messy addition to the board as it stands, which is why I haven't posted the firmware or source for this. Also, although there are spare pins on the FPGA, they are not brought out to a header.

Of course someone could always redesign the PCB a bit, and add an audio jack to the board. Then there could be an option on the boot menu to enable dual pokey mode... or SID mode... or....

But I think that it would be better still to make a PBI/ECI+Cart version of the ultimate cart, then the pokeys could live at their normal location. Plus it could act as a RAM expansion too.

SD Multicart + 1 Meg RAM + Dual pokey all one one board - that would be a nice thing!

• Like 5

Well, if you're going to add all that, then add alternate OS mode, stackable carts, and SD card access as a hard drive. :-)

That would be an amazing device. Oh, and an RTC.

(Cart mode wouldn't work on the PBI, right?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I propose a dual purpose board in 800 card form factor. +5 and ground picked up from the card slot, with an additional power connector for XL/XE users.

This would simply plug in the 800 with a short PBI cable to the Incognito, or in XL/XE format, the board could be in a case with a PBI cable to the computer.

One board for both 800 Incognito and XL/XE.

Would there be enough room in the FPGA for a VBXE along with sound chip cores?

• 3 years later...
On 4/1/2016 at 5:58 PM, electrotrains said:

The need for the low pass filter (2 resistors + 2 caps) and headphone jack would make it a pretty messy addition to the board as it stands, which is why I haven't posted the firmware or source for this. Also, although there are spare pins on the FPGA, they are not brought out to a header.

Of course someone could always redesign the PCB a bit, and add an audio jack to the board. Then there could be an option on the boot menu to enable dual pokey mode... or SID mode... or....

But I think that it would be better still to make a PBI/ECI+Cart version of the ultimate cart, then the pokeys could live at their normal location. Plus it could act as a RAM expansion too.

SD Multicart + 1 Meg RAM + Dual pokey all one one board - that would be a nice thing!

Hi, but is the firmware for this project working? I could redo the pcb with the addition of the low pass filter and the headphone jack if that's ok with you. It would be really cool!!!!!!!!

• Like 1