IGNORED

OPCODE GAMES announces: IntelliXpander - Castlevania & Goonies! RESERVE NOW

Rev

No, I meant making a self-contained device. As it stands, if it plugs into the Intellivision just for the controllers, then just add controllers to the device itself. It's not like it's an Intellivision...

Yeah. That's the part that that has not fully been revealed yet. How much of the Intv console is being utilized. I don't know enough on tech side to say either way.

"Xpander" and "enhancement" seem to lend to the idea that it will use the intv console in some fashion. Its expanding and enhancing. :-) Its just my personal speculation at this point. I know as much as everyone else. I'm sure more will be revealed soon enough.

The Atari Adaptor wasn't an Intellivision either...but most of us have one. (Now) :-) Mixed felling on this, but I'll buy one for sure...and every game.

Yeah. That's the part that that has not fully been revealed yet. How much of the Intv console is being utilized. I don't know enough on tech side to say either way.

"Xpander" and "enhancement" seem to lend to the idea that it will use the intv console in some fashion. Its expanding and enhancing. :-) Its just my personal speculation at this point. I know as much as everyone else. I'm sure more will be revealed soon enough.

Don't worry, I'll bet there will be tons of baseless speculation up until opcode releases the specs

• Like 1

Did the ECS plug into the Intellivision cartridge port have it own video, cpu, and RAM on board? From the information provided, I'm thinking that the IntelliXpander seems to be coming with TMS9918A video chip, z80 CPU, 32KB of RAM, cartridge mapper chip and cartridge port. I think the YM chip in the Intellivision is similar to the MSX sound chip. That the only thing I can think of working with the Intellivision.

Did the ECS plug into the Intellivision cartridge port have it own video, cpu, and RAM on board? From the information provided, I'm thinking that the IntelliXpander seems to be coming with TMS9918A video chip, z80 CPU, 32KB of RAM, cartridge mapper chip and cartridge port. I think the YM chip in the Intellivision is similar to the MSX sound chip. That the only thing I can think of working with the Intellivision.

Maybe it is an MSX...and uses the genlock feature of the Intellivision like the Keyboard Component used...

ECS had more RAM, some ROM, and an extra sound chip (which also had two more controller ports). No new CPU, though, and it didn't replace video - still uses the STIC on the master component.

The System Changer - which requires a hardware mod to the original 2609 and possibly the later INTV System III and Super Pro systems as well - completely bypasses the Intellivision and just passes the RF through, I think.

As others have noted -- if this is something along the lines of a System Changer, then it's not an Intellivision any more, and it wouldn't work on unmodded consoles.

I'll have to go read up on this "genlock" feature of the 1149 Keyboard Component. All I can recall off the top of my head is that there was some mechanism for the KC to provide better display for text. Is that what you're alluding to, @tarzilla?

• Like 1

ECS had more RAM, some ROM, and an extra sound chip (which also had two more controller ports). No new CPU, though, and it didn't replace video - still uses the STIC on the master component.

The System Changer - which requires a hardware mod to the original 2609 and possibly the later INTV System III and Super Pro systems as well - completely bypasses the Intellivision and just passes the RF through, I think.

As others have noted -- if this is something along the lines of a System Changer, then it's not an Intellivision any more, and it wouldn't work on unmodded consoles.

I'll have to go read up on this "genlock" feature of the 1149 Keyboard Component. All I can recall off the top of my head is that there was some mechanism for the KC to provide better display for text. Is that what you're alluding to, @tarzilla?

I'm not alluding to anything, just randomly speculating as people do on this forum. In this case, it is based on actually touching a Keyboard Component and seeing what the menu screen looks like...and already knowing hardware type stuff, unlike Mr.-plug-it-in-and-if-doesn't-work-call-someone...not naming any names...There is lots of technical info hidden under a spatula...plus Papa Intellivison some some info

Opcode Games Intellivision announcement FAQ

Q: Why has Opcode Games decided to enter the Intellivision scene?
A: Since we rebooted Opcode last year, it was already part of our plans to expand. For us the Intellivision was a natural fit, since we love the platform and see a lot of similarities with the ColecoVision. So why not spread the love?
Q: Is Opcode Games dropping support on the ColecoVision?
A: Absolutely not. For the time being the ColecoVision is still our main platform, and we have many new exciting things planned for 2017, as we hope to share with you later this year.
Q: What is the IntelliXpander?
A: Without going into too much detail (there will plenty of time for that later), the IntelliXpander drastically improves the Intellivision processing power without replacing any of the existing components. The benefits of such improvement are more complex games, more diverse and complex graphics and animations, and arcade realistic sounds (even including voices and other highly advanced effects). All inside a brand new plastic case (most possibly based on the IntelliVoice case, to keep a consistent look with existing Inty gear). It should also be compatible with most if not all existing Intellivision and IntelliVoice software.
Q: Isn’t the IntelliXpander just an April Fools prank?
A: It started as a prank, but kind of backfired on us, since we weren’t expecting anyone to believe it. And since we let the cat out of the bag, it made sense for us to go ahead and officially announce it.
Q: Is that a SNES Jr motherboard inside an IntelliVoice case?
A: No, that isn’t a SNES board, the IntelliXpander won’t run any SNES games, and while similar looking, the case won’t be identical to the IntelliVoice. And before you ask, that is not a video capture board either.
Q: Does the IntelliXpander have a NES-on-a-chip inside it?
A: No, it doesn’t. In fact, it isn’t related to the NES in any way.
Q: Does the IntelliXpander include a new video chip?
A: No, it doesn’t.
Q: Does the IntelliXpander use new proprietary cartridges?
A: No, it still uses the same cartridge format as the Intellivision, with no need for a special connector. The IntelliXpander games won’t run on a plain vanilla Intellivision though.
Q: How much it is going to cost?
A: It is hard to provide a definitive price figure at this point. Factors affecting price are the size of the case and the complexity of the module. Based on that, our best guesstimate is that it will be a little more expensive than the ColecoVision Super Game Module. However in the end the main factor is going to be the demand, since production costs are greatly affected (either positively or negatively) by the number of units that are produced. The unit will come with the usual deluxe box and manual.
Q: Can I pre-order now?
A: Not yet. Pre-order will start next year, once we are close to manufacturing. However we will have a waiting list soon in our website, please stay tuned.
Q: What games will be available for it?
A: We have two games initially planned, Castlevania and Gradius. Of course at least one of them will debut alongside the module. And we will keep producing new games after that, but we have nothing to announce regarding that at this point.
Q: Will 3rd parties support the IntelliXpander?
A: We hope so, but there is nothing decided yet, as we won’t be contacting developers until we have the first prototypes running.

• Like 9

Hooray, so it's not a joke after all! :love:

Castlevania and Gradius. On_the_Intellivision. Wow! Am very, very excited about this project if you could not tell. :love:

On the subject of the case and if it were a drop in replacement, would gladly sacrifice an Intellivoice module for this. :lol:

Wow. Nifty-neato. I'll take one in the classic brown and wood-grain and a second in INTV-2 white (or is it gray?), please. :)

Seriously, I'd buy at least one of each and it would be super cool if each unit came with a different game... say Gradius with the white unit and Castlevania with the brown, etc. I'm super excited.

While you are at it, can you whip up some way to get intellivoice into a nice case matching the INTV-2? :-o

I'm not alluding to anything, just randomly speculating as people do on this forum. In this case, it is based on actually touching a Keyboard Component and seeing what the menu screen looks like...and already knowing hardware type stuff, unlike Mr.-plug-it-in-and-if-doesn't-work-call-someone...not naming any names...There is lots of technical info hidden under a spatula...plus Papa Intellivison some some info

Yeah, started digging a little bit there.

I agree that speculation is fun! Faulty as my memory is, I'm reasonably certain I read somewhere about the 1149 KC overlaying text onto the graphics from the STIC. For example, I believe that's what we have here.

Now, just *how* that text overlay is accomplished, and how sophisticated the graphics can be, I have no clue. I.e. can you put whatever you want in there, as long as it's white, like the KC text overlay? Or is it more rich than that?

This will be interesting to follow!

EDIT: Fixed word order and clarified overlaying graphics question.

Edited by intvsteve

The Atari Adaptor wasn't an Intellivision either...but most of us have one. (Now) :-) Mixed felling on this, but I'll buy one for sure...and every game.

Yes, but it was made 30 years ago. Try to make a "modern retro" console and see how much nostalgia it will muster. :roll:

That said, I don't know what this expander is, but if it bypasses the STIC and the CPU to get higher resolution, it's not really an Intellivision.

Yes, but it was made 30 years ago. Try to make a "modern retro" console and see how much nostalgia it will muster. :roll:

That said, I don't know what this expander is, but if it bypasses the STIC and the CPU to get higher resolution, it's not really an Intellivision.

A: No, it doesn’t.

Please read the FAQ above...

A: No, it doesnt.

Please read the FAQ above...

Yes, I saw that now. Thanks.

I'll reserve judgement until you provide more useful information than just hype.

Gradius and Castlevania were 2 of my very favorite Nintendo games, I sure hope this happens for all the Intellivision folks! :) Thanks Opcode, Wolfy62

outside of zelda and mario series those were my two favorite games on the nes. I played the crap out of both of them. I suck now at gradius but hey it was a tough game then. At least i could beat life force (sequel) and contra on one man. I even beat ghost ghoblins 7 times as a kid. Gradius and rush n attack were the only two nes games i never beat as a kid.
  • Like 1