IGNORED

How often do you play your 2600?

TJSLAPSHOT

Hello! New to the forum. I have been a gamer since I got my first 2600 back in 1979. I have had many, many systems since then but just recently bought a 2600 and a 5200 to relive those again. They are the best. Hands down. Today Im going to sell all my other systems and focus on these. I love how the games and controls were so simple yet very fun and challenging. My question...how often do you play your Atari? Do you play it exclusively? If not, why do you still play it?

• Like 2

I don't play the Atari exclusively...

But I do play it quite a bit! When I have any of my (S-Video and A/V Modded) Ataris hooked up, I keep coming back to them again and again. I'll go in phases where I get hooked on a certain game like some Homebrews, Midnight Magic, Pitfall, or (right now) Dark Cavern for instance...And I'll play it before going to bed, But 1Am turns to 2Am or 3Am and so on...

It also happens for other systems like NES (games like Deadly Towers or Faxanadu) or SNES (Mr. Do! or Breath of Fire) or PC Engine (Devil's Crush or Meteor Blasters DX) at times...and so many others...

Today Im going to sell all my other systems and focus on these.

Seems a bit drastic, but do as you will.

How often, you ask? Not enough. What with a wee kid, there's not much opportunity. But I do so when I can.

As to exclusivity or not and why &c: It's because I happen to like my Atari games and my NES games too. As it so happens, my first* NES game was Gauntlet, which as you may know was made by Tengen, which makes it an Atari game.

*I DO mean first. I did not actually get the pack-in game first.

• Like 1

Off and on. Will play an assortment of games for a couple hours here and there over the course of a few weeks. Then won't touch it again for many months. Then I start thinking about a game or two, or see a reference in a movie or something, and....back to playing with it for a week or two. Other than my Lionel trains at Christmas, the Atari is the only childhood toy that I still like to play with 30 years later.

• Like 2

Thanks forthw replys guys. Hey Goldleader sounds like u are a cartridge gamer only? Actually I had to keep my SNES and N64. All the others had to go.

I have some modern systems too, up to the Wii and Playstation3...But yeah I've been neglecting the modern ones to play cartridge games more often...I also have a little bartop MAME multicade that I was really into for a while...I was finding myself hooked on Coin op Mr. Do!, Omega Race and Asteroids Deluxe...

Weekl.... Monthly.

But if you had the time?

It would be daily am I right?

There was a huge chunk of my life where I was working a lot, and had a lot of stress...and I bought a lot of video games...always really thinking (it was like) I was buying the time to someday play them...

But if you had the time?

It would be daily am I right?

There was a huge chunk of my life where I was working a lot, and had a lot of stress...and I bought a lot of video games...always really thinking (it was like) I was buying the time to someday play them...

Easily.

• Like 1

I have quite a few classic systems, but only two or three out on the coffee table at any one time. I'll play a system for a couple of months, and then someone releases a homebrew on a system I have put away. When that happens, I swap consoles around for a while.

Right now, all my 2600s are put away. I have my Vectrex and an Intellivision on the coffee table as I'm playing a lot of Vector Pilot and the new Missile Dominatiin for Inty. On another table I have my Jaguar set up as I'm playing the test release of Rebooteroids on my Skunk board.

• Like 1

I almost never play on a 2600 since I have a 7800.

Anyway, I have a small collection of 8-bit consoles and computers that I just pick up and play whatever I feel like playing whenever I feel like playing.

I just fired up some 2600 games a few weeks ago to play two home brew works in progress DK VCS and DK Arcade.

Recently I have been playing mostly the C64 since I got an SDrive and a whole bunch of games to explore.

So to answer your question, once every few months.

• Like 1

I don't play the Atari 2600 everyday, but I definetley play it a few times each week. I enjoy the extensive library whether it is a two player head to head game, achieving the best score that you can get and raising the bar to top it again, and challenging the point total in the Activision games which would earn you the patches. That and the NES were the systems I grew up with in the late 80's/early 90's. The 2600 is more fun to play at night with the lights out in my honest opinion.

• Like 1

For me, the 2600 is like that old childhood friend who moved away and who you might go long stretches of time without seeing, but it’s not for lack of desire to do so. My 2600 is hooked up and ready to go at all times, but I only play it every few months or so, because I tend to burn most of my gaming time budget on MAME.

• Like 2