IGNORED

Some Raiden questions

sirlynxalot

Is Raiden supposed to save hi scores? I have a vague recollection of my cartridge saving my hi scores previously, but now it does not seem to.

Has anyone else ever gotten slight rainbow banding while playing Raiden or any other Jag game? I notice it slightly in Raiden, particularly in the first level, but perhaps that's just residual hallucinations from playing Tempest 2000.

Rainbow banding is common on old sega genesis consoles, it looks like this:

cast2.jpg
1439872343696.jpg

Basically, a weird subtle headache inducing color spectrum appearing on sprites/places on the screen where there should be no such thing.

Rainbow banding (or whatever it's called) is normal in Jag Raiden.

Yes, the game is supposed to save the high scores. Chances are the max number of writes have been met, thus it will no longer save. You should be able to force-erase the data and it should start working after that. I forgot what the command is but it's generally listed in game instruction manuals, I'm sure someone will post the keypad combination here.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm pretty confident I haven't played Raiden 100K times. At any rate, I'll see if the memory reset trick works - glad this isn't happening to a game that really needs the save to progress, like Rayman or Wolfenstein.

Even if it happens there's a way to desolder the old EEPROM and put a brand new one, they are still around.

You'd lose the savegame of yesteryear but think about it ... now you get to play it all over again .... isn't that something.

I love Raiden, but the ship is soooo slow and the boss bullets are sooo fast. I am pretty good at modern shooters such as Dodonpachi, Ikaruga and the like, but I die pretty often in original Raiden with the slow large hitbox ship. It is a classic though.

Get the PS1 version if you can. It plays so much better. Raiden on the Jag is fine if the Jag is the only platform available to you to play a version of Raiden, but if you have a PS1, PS2 or PS3, you're better off looking for a copy of The Raiden Project for PS1. It's excellent!

Get the PS1 version if you can. It plays so much better. Raiden on the Jag is fine if the Jag is the only platform available to you to play a version of Raiden, but if you have a PS1, PS2 or PS3, you're better off looking for a copy of The Raiden Project for PS1. It's excellent!

I have both and I agree 100%, the Ps1 version is definitely the better of the two.

The Jag version was the first I owned however so I still have a fondness of it that's why it's staying in my collection =)

• 2 weeks later...

I love Raiden, but the ship is soooo slow and the boss bullets are sooo fast. I am pretty good at modern shooters such as Dodonpachi, Ikaruga and the like, but I die pretty often in original Raiden with the slow large hitbox ship. It is a classic though.

An arcade in my area has an Ikaruga cabinet. One of the best shooters I've ever played, period.

I'm pretty confident I haven't played Raiden 100K times.

It doesn't really matter. I have run into so many carts that don't save properly and I highly doubt any of them had 100k writes. Formatting the memory worked every time regardless. Give it a shot.