IGNORED

Anyone have a spare cart with EEPROM?

SainT

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had a spare working cart with EEPROM I could have? Anything will do as long as it has a save EEPROM and the game works...

I'm starting doing some bits on the Jag cart, and I'm currently investigating how to handle the EEPROM save.

I thought I'd check here before eBay'ing it. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

I could send you one. Do you need a game that takes advantage of the eeprom (an official release), or would a hombrew cart with a demo on it work (something that actually doesn't use the eeprom)?

Thanks! I'm after something which uses a standard EEPROM on the cart. I'd like something official, just because all official carts are likely to use the standard Atari code for EEPROM access, so I can be reasonably confident if I can get one cart to work, all the others should too.

Homebrew stuff could potentially do anything... :)

I've been looking for a cheap copy of Cybermorph, just as it shipped with pretty much every Jag, it has to be the most common game. :)

Also, if you need help with the front end manager software, just ask!

Also, don't forget there are 2 types of EEPROM, 128 bytes and 2048 byte... and that carts can be 8/16/32 bits wide. Might be best to have a config file for each ROM with width/eeprom type in it?

Edited by CyranoJ
  • Like 2

I TOTALLY want to be on the pre-order list please! (I think that makes me #8?) ;)

Anyway, Good luck with the development - this will be a very welcome addition to the Jaguar

(will be nice if it runs .abs files with no effort.)

Edited by mqark

Also, if you need help with the front end manager software, just ask!

Also, don't forget there are 2 types of EEPROM, 128 bytes and 2048 byte... and that carts can be 8/16/32 bits wide. Might be best to have a config file for each ROM with width/eeprom type in it?

you forget 93lc66 which are 1k

also there appears to be some more too, Matthias's site has some info: http://mdgames.de/je2prombrowser.htm

Great news that finally someone is looking into a SD-card solution for the Jaguar. :thumbsup: I would certainly be interested in at least two :P

A few little remarks (more a wish list :grin: ) from me:

1. Support for 6MB carts:
    The Jaguar card space is 6MB. Even though nearly all releases only use 4MB or less (AFAIK there is one 6MB slide show) it would be nice to support 6MB if it does not add too much to the price. Probably the needed chips make up 8MB in total so the last 4MB could be split into two 2MB banks.

I realize that that the extra space would not be used much as special JagSD-cart games could load parts dynamically from SD-card (see 3rd point) if they need more than 4MB so 6MB support is not really a priority.

2. Cart space write support:
    Normally the card space is read-only (and possibly existing games may not work correctly if the cart space is writable) but I can image that programs that take advantage of the JagSD-cart might want to write some data to the card space as well (e.g. pre-calculating data to be used later).

3. SD-cart file system accessible from the Jaguar:
    Games specially written for the JagSD-cart might want to have read and/or write access to files on the SD-card e.g. if they need more than 4MB cart space for its data or to load user made levels or write a high-score table that is too big for EEPROM.
    This would make games possible with large data files (Who knows Duranik would pick up Native again if they could store the level graphics data they had in mind that would never fit on a regular card :D ). Of course loading must be possible in Jaguar RAM space as well cart space.

4. Prepare for future CD emulation:
    Thus connect the signal lines needed for CD to the FGPA used and make it possible to swap in the CD-BIOS "emulation" rom (here more than 4MB cart S-RAM could be handy to store the BIOS as you could have cartridge games that load more from CD e.g. Protector SE cart + Protector Resurgence CD).
    It would be great to be able to have a CD image file on the SD-card that could booted using the cart. CD games (should) use the CD-BIOS functions thus it would be possible to have a custom CD-BIOS that emulate the CD-BIOS calls and reads from the "mounted" CD image file on SD-card instead.
    Now I think of that, you probably do not even need to connect the CD signal lines to load data as the custom CD-BIOS could move the data directly from SD to RAM without the need to use the CD serial data line. But you need the CD serial data line to stream CD-audio data to the DSP.

5. Prepare for future Memory-Track emulation:
    The card could also emulate the memory-track used for CD-games by writing the data to a file on SD-card. Also here there must be a custom Memory-Track BIOS rom swapped in (again here more than 4MB cart S-RAM could be handy to store the BIOS) that emulates the BIOS calls and read/write a file on the SD-card instead

Sorry for the rambling :roll: :P

Robert

• Like 1

I think it would be easier on the hardware if it just supported 32bit wide access by default and the config file specified the addresses to NOP the MEMCON stuff out. A bit like a game genie from back in the day, but automatic. That would also allow people to run ROMs with infinite lives, level skips and suchlike too.

I think it would be easier on the hardware if it just supported 32bit wide access by default and the config file specified the addresses to NOP the MEMCON stuff out. A bit like a game genie from back in the day, but automatic. That would also allow people to run ROMs with infinite lives, level skips and suchlike too.

Packed/Encrypted data?

Edited by CyranoJ