IGNORED

Matra Alice 8000 ultra rare prototype, working, for sale

Majdachi

Some more info will help you out. Pictures, what kind of price you're wanting, where you are located (even roughly), what the item actually is, some proof that you aren't just a scammer, etc. Trust me, you won't get much love with such a bare-bones post.

• Like 1

Actually i live in Lebanon (middle east), and not very proud of that, we don't have ebay here, we can't register, i pay a fortune everytime i want to buy a computer from abroad, reason why i cannot sell on ebay, plus the bidding would start at around 25K, this machine is not a joke... regards to all...

If you find the right buyer/collector I'm sure it'd go for as much as the early low serial number Apple II rigs. Somewhere between $1000 and $5000.. Just be patient.

Wait.. 25K ?? Dunno about that.. The most expensive Apple II in recent times on ebay was #14, and it had a good history behind it. It sold for 18K.

Edited by Keatah

Hi, indeed the apple ii was sold for 18k, but we should consider how many apple ii were made and how many alice 8000 were made and still exist in a working good condition with manuals... less than 5 in the world.. i think this is something... we will see how it goes...

The simple story is that only a hundred Alices have been built, Matra trashed most of these Alices, only 20 machines were sold for a symbolic price to a school, and 10 others were given to developers and other members of the project. Later on the 20 school machines were also destroyed, so nowadays only about 10 are known to exist and less than half are working...

From a collectors point of view the Alice 8000 is extremely attractive because of its rarity, home computer type, the 2 CPUs which i guess was the first computer to have multiple CPUs, and its beautiful design.

Maybe the alice 8000 doesn't have much 'story' but we cannot deny that it's a missing piece of the computing history for the 80s era...

If nobody even knows what this computer was, how would someone know a story about it? I'm sure this machine is something... and only a really serious computer collector would care about it...

Edited by Majdachi

I can empathize with the OP here. He is absolutely right, by what he has stated, it's obviously a very rare machine, and should be worth quite a bit of money to a collector.

The problem is that it's a niche item and only appeals to a niche market. Vintage retro video games like Atari, Sega, and Nintendo for example have worldwide appeal and interest to millions of people. Vintage computing devices have a far less appeal and interest to the general population and even among collectors.

A video game system plays unique games designed for that system. A computer plays games as well, some unique to it even, but mostly runs programs; most of which are the same or similar to another program for another computer. (a word processor is a word processor; nothing fun there!?)

So, it's like collecting VHS or BetaMax players. Sure, many units are indeed extremely rare, but a DVD or BluRay player plays the same Star Wars movie that the 30 year old VHS or BetaMax player plays. So the interest is far less.

This is a supply versus demand thing. There may very well be only 5 in the world, but there are maybe 20 people in the world who care. Supply is low, but demand is also low.

Good luck with your pursuit to sell it. And thank you for the pictures. It is enjoyable to see it.

Edited by Supergun
  • Like 1

25K is about the same or slightly above what a Commodore 65 sells for. The number of existing machines - the C65 never went beyond prototype stage with a number of motherboard variants - is roughly the same, but the Commodore is much better known among collectors.