IGNORED

Dreamcast Toro VGA/RGB Question

Hi! I have a question about the Sega Dreamcast's VGA and RGB output, specifically the Toro VGA box. The reviews I have read and Behrbros official site say that using the built in option to change RGBhv Sync to RGBs Sync can allow the VGA box to be used with upscales like the XRGB Mini. Does this just refer to 240p/480i RGB output, or is there a way to access 480p via RGBs to output to a device like the XRGB Mini? Does the Mini accept VGA somehow with an adapter as long as the VGA has been converted to RGBs Sync, or can 480p be outputted via SCART/JP21? If anyone can shine light on whether this hv to s sync conversion is just for 240p and 480i or also for 480p and an upscaler it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :-D

The Toro box has a Euro SCART connector on it. All you need is a SCART adapter for the XRGB-mini and a SCART cable to connect to the box. You don't need to use the VGA port at all.

But can the SCART cable carry 480p? I thought that SCART could only do 240p and 480i and that is why VGA boxes are wanted for the dreamcast at all because VGA can do 480p.

I use an UMSA from ArcadeForge to convert the VGA from the MiST box (RGBhv) into RGBs accepted by the XRGB-Mini. It works fine with 31khz (480p).

It's more a matter of whether your box does a frequency conversion (mine doesn't) than the cable itself.

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

I use an UMSA from ArcadeForge to convert the VGA from the MiST box (RGBhv) into RGBs accepted by the XRGB-Mini. It works fine with 31khz (480p).

It's more a matter of whether your box does a frequency conversion (mine doesn't) than the cable itself.

So just to confirm, because the Toro can combine RGBhv into RGBs, it should be able to output this 480p RGBs via SCART to the XRGB Mini?

Thanks!

So just to confirm, because the Toro can combine RGBhv into RGBs, it should be able to output this 480p RGBs via SCART to the XRGB Mini? Thanks!

Their webpage says this:

Both CSYNC and H&V SYNC modes supported

Euro Scart connector can output RGBS (CSYNC) (480i+480p for the XRGB)

From that I understand that they send a 480p vertical frequency (31khz) through SCART in RGBs.

Beyond that I can confirm that the XRGB handles 31khz signals fine via its SCART input, but make sure that you are using the right adapter (Euro SCART and not JP21).

The only hiccup I know is that it has trouble switching between 60hz and 50hz, but 1) a restart of the XRGB fixes it and 2) I don't suppose your DC uses both 50hz and 60hz :)

• Like 1

Their webpage says this:

From that I understand that they send a 480p vertical frequency (31khz) through SCART in RGBs.

Beyond that I can confirm that the XRGB handles 31khz signals fine via its SCART input, but make sure that you are using the right adapter (Euro SCART and not JP21).

The only hiccup I know is that it has trouble switching between 60hz and 50hz, but 1) a restart of the XRGB fixes it and 2) I don't suppose your DC uses both 50hz and 60hz :)

Thanks for the help! I've got the SCART adapter so if I get a Toro I should be good form use with my mini. Thanks again!

Edited by KreatorKat

Thanks for the help! I've got the SCART adapter so if I get a Toro I should be good form use with my mini. Thanks again!

If you just care about the video for the XRGB you might want to look at the UMSA (or similar device) since it's cheaper. Of course the Toro has other features like VGA support and scaline generator.