IGNORED

Sys-Check V2.2 ready-to-use batch available

tf_hh

4 hours ago, Nezgar said:

One of the sys-check's modes does exactly what you need for a stock machine.

With the sys-check in extended memory mode, it defaults to 576K "RAMBO"  compatible. (64K internal + 512K extended on sys-check: PIA bits 2,3,5,6,7) It is software re-configurable to "Compy shop 320K" with independant ANTIC banking supported for maximum 130XE compatibility (PIA bits 2,3,6,7) or no extended memory. The programs are posted somewhere earlier in this topic.

A few caveats to watch out for:

- Some 65XE's do not have a ECI port next to the cartridge port, so cannot be used with sys-check.

- Some games & demos like Crownland only support a PAL machine, not NTSC. But that may be less of an issue since your profile indicates you are in Finland. But it's something to check for if you are purchasing online.

Thank you so much for all the help, this is exactly what I needed to know! ? :waving:

6 hours ago, Nezgar said:

With the sys-check in extended memory mode, it defaults to 576K "RAMBO"  compatible. (64K internal + 512K extended on sys-check: PIA bits 2,3,5,6,7) It is software re-configurable to "Compy shop 320K" with independant ANTIC banking supported for maximum 130XE compatibility (PIA bits 2,3,6,7) or no extended memory. The programs are posted somewhere earlier in this topic.

Ehm... sorry, little correction: This is wrong. Sys-Check can only provide the RAMBO memory expansion scheme. For Compy-Shop (or "XE") mode the logic needs the HALT signal, which is only present at the ECI, but not at the PBI. Sys-Check was designed not to have the need of making any internal patches to the system, so I drop the Compy-Shop mode. It´s only used by a very few, old programs mostly coming out of Europe.

My internal memory expansions offer this switching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndusGT said:

How long if i order now before i can get an xl/xe version?, shows out of stock, thanks!

Currently I´m assembling SCCCs to refill the empty stock. After this batch is done, new Sys-Check XL/XE are made. I assume they will be ready in 3 weeks.

Hi,

Sys-Check OS DIP switch cheat sheet (print at 50%, e.g. 2 pages per sheet of paper and it fits nicely on top of an XL). Zip file contains sources in OpenOffice Format and Gimp format, and export to MS-Word .docx format, which I can't test).

Also, enough blank space to pencil in new descriptions if alternative OSs are flashed to the Sys-Check II.

4 DIP switch descriptions.pdf syscheck-box.zip

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 2:39 PM, Nezgar said:

green.jpg

Edit: issue persists after a few hours off. This time was a "grey" stop screen. But reset key will restart the test. Guessing maybe more bad RAM in the under-OS area. I tested with SpartaDOS 3.2, which I believe uses that area for i/o buffers, and found that any DIR command was showing corrupt directory entries on any disk. *weird*. Anyhow, will swap R110/R111 again in a few days when I can get back to it and test some more.

I have an XE with color screen problem, but I never had the green problem. Previously the rams seems to be ok with the Sys-check, so the boring not easy desoldering process, one by one, has begun...

1797769057_800XLManual-1.jpg.30586e84ea7afd1ece0b5333fbc34c0b.jpg

1796705574_800XLManual-2.jpg.c1ceaa762581f60fea4e0e7632c772b4.jpg

Atari 800XL Field Service Manual.pdf Atari 800XL Service Manual.pdf SysInfo 2.25.xex

On 11/5/2019 at 11:46 PM, tane said:

I have an XE with color screen problem, but I never had the green problem. Previously the rams seems to be ok with the Sys-check, so the boring not easy desoldering process, one by one, has begun.

"Green problem"? The picture is not close enough. When I look to the color pot of your XE, then I would say, just turn it a little bit and you get the typical red/brownish picture as usual when something is wrong. When this XE starts with Sys-Check attached and no RAM or O.S. ROM fault is found, but no picture without, then first focus on MMU or PIA.

5 hours ago, tf_hh said:

"Green problem"? The picture is not close enough. When I look to the color pot of your XE, then I would say, just turn it a little bit and you get the typical red/brownish picture as usual when something is wrong. When this XE starts with Sys-Check attached and no RAM or O.S. ROM fault is found, but no picture without, then first focus on MMU or PIA.

@Nezgar

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

as requested by some people in the last months, I create another version of Sys-Check called "Sys-Check V2.2 BBU":

SysCheck_BBU_Front.thumb.jpg.a87b8065bf13177eeb2166c22076f36b.jpgSysCheck_BBU_Back.thumb.jpg.088302e4ce2879952e8451d8aaa8a183.jpg

This version is equal to the first edition "Sys-Check XL/XE standard" and can be used with all XL computers (except the 1200XL) and all XE computers (except some 65XE without ECI) and other systems with additional PBI like Atari 800 with Incognito or modded 1200XL or...

Sys-Check V2.2 BBU includes two advantages:

- The 512 KB memory expansion is battery backup´ed by a CR2032 replaceable lithium battery, so if used as a RAM-Disk, the content is preserved after power off

- An additional switch for enable/disable write access to the memory expansion

For stock and pricing please see the info-PDF in my signature.

Jurgen

• Like 6

16 hours ago, tf_hh said:

- The 512 KB memory expansion is battery backup´ed by a CR2032 replaceable lithium battery, so if used as a RAM-Disk, the content is preserved after power off

For stock and pricing please see the info-PDF in my signature.

Jurgen

Hi Jurgen,

The one I got recently does ot have these items BUT the battery backed up mem although very useful isn't needed by me but what is the reason for the write enable disable switch, I'm more than pleased with my unit but it would be nice to know what the reason is for that mod purely for info. Obviously I understand its enable / disable side but why would you need to use it?

As said, loving the syscheck, can't recommend it enough....A lot more than just a system checker!

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Obviously I understand its enable / disable side but why would you need to use it?

As said, loving the syscheck, can't recommend it enough....A lot more than just a system checker!

Thanks for these kind words ?

Just two main reasons:

1. Some DOS versions, programs, tools or demos tests the existence of expansion memory the destructive way (by writing single or multiple bytes to each memory page to detect the size and organisation of the used memory expansion scheme). This would corrupt the contents of the RAM-disk - and mybe the user won´t recognize it immediately.
  2. Generally it makes a lot of sense to protect from further writing to the expansion memory if you test software configurations etc.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 1:49 PM, tf_hh said:

Oh this is too cool. :thumbsup: and works with both XL and XE... I'd love to upgrade from my existing one, but don't need 2. If anyone would be interested in my existing one (XL+XE compatible one like this,  shipping from Canada) PM me. Currently programmed with shoestrings RAM tester replacing the QMEG OS selection. I can reprogram it with whatever OS's you like before sending, or you can do it yourself using the Atari too.

Edit: And my Sys-check is now spoken for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, orgi666 said:

Is there a possibility to order one, yet? 

Yes, still availible. If you place the order this weekend, it should arrive you right before christmas ? - Click on the link in my signature to get all infos you need.