IGNORED

Sys-Check V2.2 ready-to-use batch available

tf_hh

On 12/7/2019 at 3:35 PM, Tezz said:

I'd also possibly be interested in a cased one. Has anyone modelled an XL or XE case for Sys-Check?

Would have to be a funky case as there the two sets of dip switches and the cartridge slot on top..

I'm ok with mine being bare, just careful with tea etc :)  (mind you, computer IT states that you don't have drinks etc near where you are working as part of its rules, and of course we all follow those rules :)  )

2 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Would have to be a funky case as there the two sets of dip switches and the cartridge slot on top..

I'm ok with mine being bare, just careful with tea etc :)  (mind you, computer IT states that you don't have drinks etc near where you are working as part of its rules, and of course we all follow those rules :)  )

Yea that would be fine Paul for the XE with an access hole for the dip switches and a slot for the cart. I guess if it's intended to be used purely as external RAM, another case with only the cart slot exposed could be created for the XE and a totally closed case for the XL would be an option too.

Hi,

I made a case out of an old tape cassette case, just went at it with a hacksaw and some glue. I'll post some pictures when I can, though it does not look so great, but would keep any stray drinks, etc., off the Sys-Check, which is why I made it in the first place.

7 hours ago, orgi666 said:

Just curious, would it be possible to use this approach to make let's say "solderless Antonia"?

Not really. Antonia replaces also the CPU, O.S. ROM, Basic-ROM and some other stuff. To do this, you need access and control of the whole computer. For one example, the peripheral chips like PIA, POKEY etc. must be synchronized with PHI2 output from the CPU. Without hardware modding this wouldn´t be possible. And much more issues which prevent such from a stable working solution. IMHO - maybe other guys have a different sight.

Hi,

Here are pics of the case I made for my Sys-Check 2 out of an old cassette tape box. @Gunstar came up with the idea, and has done a better job, but this works for me even though it is a little rough and ready!

Also, this is only good for a 600/800XL, I think you would need quite a different design for an XE.

1.Trimmed Case, DIP Switch cutout marked up.jpg

2. DIP Switch Slot cut then superglued together.jpg

3.Wooden block PVA glued into place.jpg

4.PVA glue dry and case ready to use.jpg

5.Front view 800XL.jpg

6. Rear View 800XL.jpg

• Like 7

On 12/10/2019 at 11:10 PM, orgi666 said:

Just curious, would it be possible to use this approach to make let's say "solderless Antonia"?

ANTONIA is an internal upgrade but it is also a completely solderless solution if your chips are socketed. 

On 12/11/2019 at 12:54 PM, E474 said:

Hi,

Here are pics of the case I made for my Sys-Check 2 out of an old cassette tape box. @Gunstar came up with the idea, and has done a better job, but this works for me even though it is a little rough and ready!

Also, this is only good for a 600/800XL, I think you would need quite a different design for an XE.

1.Trimmed Case, DIP Switch cutout marked up.jpg

2. DIP Switch Slot cut then superglued together.jpg

3.Wooden block PVA glued into place.jpg

4.PVA glue dry and case ready to use.jpg

5.Front view 800XL.jpg

6. Rear View 800XL.jpg

Sorry to show you up on such a trivial thing, but as you said, yours is for function, not form or aesthetics. But I re-did my Syscheck 2.2 case, using 2 tape cases to complete it, as shown below, which now goes with the 800XL. I bought a new Syscheck 2.2 XL for my 1200XL w/PBI. It lays flat behind the computer. I still need to make a case for it now. I have +5V power on both my PBI's, so no need to the power cord to joystick port, but I left it there and just tucked it away under a door I made for the extended cartridge, to hide it as it's not needed for XL's. But the same as you, it's made for using it with an XL and the case would have to be re-designed for XE's.

IMG_20191215_151844.jpg

IMG_20191215_151858.jpg

IMG_20191215_151932.jpg

IMG_20191215_152006.jpg

IMG_20191215_152014.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 6

• 3 months later...

Hi,

due to the Coronavirus crisis and worldwide limited capacities in postal services, the DHL / Deutsche Post company has reducing their service.

Using "cheap" shipments isn´t possible to the USA and some other destinations from now on. The cheapest shipping price to worldwide destinations exceeds 50 Euros each, because DHL/Deutsche Post only accepts standard parcels with extra-service "Premium". This is nonsense regarding my 100-200 grams small items...

So until the extreme high shipping costs aren´t accepted, I can´t take any orders from the U.S. until the crises ends.

Best regards - and please stay healthy!

- Jurgen

Edited by tf_hh
DHL already forbids to use "Päckchens"
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

sorry for publishing this info in more than one thread. Normally I won´t do that, but in case of the special situation I hope it´s ok - from the past I know that several users watching only a few threads in general.

Last night I got the 5.th order, so the "big parcel" will be possible. Shipping out will be done next Wednesday (April the 15.th) due to the easter holidays here.

If anybody want to have something from my projects, it´s a good idea to count in now - I can´t estimate, when the next omnibus-order is possible.

Shipping costs currently for each purchaser is 20 Euros than usually. If I got some more orders until Wednesday, shipping costs overall will decrease and I sent the overpaid money back.

Stay healthy, Jurgen

OK, I have an 800XL that is having issues at the moment. It isn't completely dead, but it has no display. I realize that worldwide shipping is all screwed up at the moment, so I can't really order one of these anyway, but plan to when things start to get back to normal. I am a little curious though, and can't seem to find any really good information on how it actually works. If you're using it to try and diagnose a completely dead 8-bit, or one that has no display, how do you determine what the issue is? How does the board communicate with you? I mean, the board itself has no display, and if the computer isn't able to display anything. How the heck do you get diagnostic information out of it? I think I missed that part.

Thanks.

Check this out 

BTW, sorry to tell you but there is a box currently crossing the pond with hardware marvels from tf_hh. You might need to wait until the next omnibus-order from Germany or get in contact with someone locally that can help you discovering the problem.

Edited by manterola
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, bfollowell said:

OK, I have an 800XL that is having issues at the moment. It isn't completely dead, but it has no display. I am a little curious though, and can't seem to find any really good information on how it actually works. If you're using it to try and diagnose a completely dead 8-bit, or one that has no display, how do you determine what the issue is? How does the board communicate with you? I mean, the board itself has no display, and if the computer isn't able to display anything. How the heck do you get diagnostic information out of it? I think I missed that part.

1st of all - RTFM ? - In my signature you will find a link to my info PDF. In this all my projects are shown briefly, and: a link to the complete manual. So read the SysCheck manual first, it will explain how it works.

SysCheck can´t perform magic, of course. So major point is... why your computer doesn´t display anything? Or does it just a black screen after power on? If so, it could be memory or a bad O.S. ROM. Shortly said: SysCheck drains the REF line to low level to get complete access to the system. When the computer is started and the CPU fetches the RESET vector (what is the first place of machine code language which will be executed after initialization is complete), SysCheck has already mapped it´s diagnostic ROM into the address space and the SysCheck firmware is started - and not the O.S.

SysCheck´s firmware is build to run without any working byte RAM of the mainboard. The display "code" (Display List) is stored in the ROM, the character sets etc. - so if the computer can technically display something, you will see anything. When one of the major chips (CPU, ANTIC, GTIA) is totally defect, then SysCheck also won´t run, of course. But you can remove the PIA, the O.S ROM, the BASIC ROM, the POKEY and the 74LS158 address mux chips, SysCheck will also work. Of course it will detect memory errors, but this is a good way to find short circuits in one of the named chips and/or disturbations by defect output from one of these.

During the years SysCheck is alive, my personal feedback and those from others said, that in about 70% of all non-starting computers SysCheck will show any result, however it useful it might be. And, of course, some technical skills are always needed. But specially when you have a mainboard where the most chips, DRAM etc. are directly soldered in (no sockets), then SysCheck is a helpful tool to save a lot of time.

• Like 4

Thanks tf_hh for that excellent explanation. I’m definitely interested in SysCheck now. I’ve already verified that ANTIC, GTIA, and the CPU are all good in mine. The RAM is all socketed, but the OS, BASIC & MMU are all soldered onto my board, and I don’t have a computer I could swap those with anyway, so it gets a little trickier to troubleshoot from here on out.

Once things start to return to normal, I’ll look into ordering one of these awesome sounding little devices from you. I’ve really enjoyed tinkering with the 8-bits through assembling my 1088XEL and troubleshooting my 800XL. I could easily see myself starting to pickup old non-functional 8-bits, repairing and refurbishing them and getting them to new homes, not to necessarily make any money, but just as a hobby. SysCheck would be a valuable tool in my arsenal.

Thanks again for the info!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Once things start to return to normal, I’ll look into ordering one of these awesome sounding little devices from you. I’ve really enjoyed tinkering with the 8-bits through assembling my 1088XEL and troubleshooting my 800XL. I could easily see myself starting to pickup old non-functional 8-bits, repairing and refurbishing them and getting them to new homes, not to necessarily make any money, but just as a hobby. SysCheck would be a valuable tool in my arsenal.

That´s one of my major interests, too ?

Have sent a PN with further infos.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Radster said:

Are these still available?  I would really like to order one, how do I go about that?

He still has 3 in stock, just click on the link in his signature for more information. International shipping is problematic right now though.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just received my syscheck last week. I used it on a nonworking computer and it indicated that all of the RAM chips were bad but when I replaced the RAM it still showed bad and the supposedly bad ram checked out on another computer. Where should I go next.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I wanted to check in with you guys. I've not had any luck using my SysCheck to diagnose my ailing 800XL. That's more the fault of the unit than the SysCheck. I suspect something shorted and it is going to take more in-depth troubleshooting.

The problem I'm having now is that I recently purchased a known-working but filthy 800XL to use as a winter restoration project, as well as to help me troubleshoot my ailing 800XL. I've used this new unit quite a bit the past few days and can find no faults whatsoever with it. Just for kicks, I connected my SysCheck to it. It runs through the memory checks without any issue, but when I press Start to proceed with further tests, the screen goes black and it just sits there. I've let it sit for 15-20 minutes and seen no results whatsoever. This 800XL works perfectly in every way that I can tell, so I have no idea why it wouldn't work with my SysCheck unless there were something wrong with the SysCheck itself.

Am I doing something wrong? Have any of you ever ran into this before? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.