IGNORED

HSC13 Round 7: Up'n Down & Catch-up Missed Rounds

29684, level 4 on the fixed version. The fixed version changes the scoring a lot cos it's now impossible to complete the track, even on level 1, in under 20 seconds

I was happy with under a minute! At least I can now see traffic so reached level 5 for the first time... this is going to be tricky. Players by now should have figured out you can jump from one road to another :) PLAYERS CAN PICK WHICH VERSION THEY PREFER.

post-19705-0-48801400-1461187333_thumb.jpg

C'mon guys check out the bonus game Up'N'Down I think it might be a case of destroying the planes to complete level 1 from level 0 but I keep jumping off. After playing the new slower fixed Sega game this one now seems much quicker!

Round 8 POLL OPEN add your game suggestions to the categories too, I've added a few possibles ;)

Up 'N' Down (Rascalsoft) which looks like a jumping ball on a grid

...Hold the stick as the ball rises you can adjust mid jump, you do get a feel for it and it's quite a decent game

I could not consistently move the ball from one block to the next block in the Rascalsoft version of Up'n'Down. I played for about 15 or 20 minutes and I couldn't even finish level 0. I think I got something like 90 points. That plane/jet/bird baddie gets me every time it comes on the screen when I'm on the top or bottom row-- I just can't move out of the way in time due to my lack of maneuvering the ball with precision. I kept thinking that I'd get a handle on controlling the ball... but it just doesn't seem like I'm gonna be able to get the timing down. Has anyone else given this a fair shake yet (besides TRBB)? I tried to find more information about the game, but I only discovered that it is compiled Turbo BASIC. I checked the disk to see if there were docs on it, but there weren't any.

I do enjoy "Up 'N Down." It's a bit tricky, but in a good way. I'm playing the NTSC version of the game:

Up 'N Down (Sega) - 11,924 (NTSC, Emulation)

post-4925-0-17504600-1461211396_thumb.gif

39334 for UpnDown Sega

70 for the other one... I SUCK at this, no idea how anyone could enjoy this game

Up'N'Dowm (Racsalsoft)

I can, you just need to practise!!! You can control it moderately well after a few goes hold stick wait for it to start then reverse direction as you land(!) - edge pieces you can use the walls to stop you overshooting. It's tough but playable though there is still an issue completing level 1 but start from each level and you can do a few screens. Looks like you get 5 shots from each of the three weapons but it's hard to shoot and move and not fall off... When the plane comes on you just need to hold the stick and leap away - you can choose when to do the edge pieces so do a few when the plane is on screen then get to safety. Minimise danger by clearing rows/columns all at once. You can leap about 5 squares full pelt. You don't need to collect the Question Marks or Hearts to finish a level.

post-19705-0-96066500-1461254762_thumb.jpg

Up'nDown (Sega)

52,252 Level 6!

post-19705-0-75184300-1461254766_thumb.jpg

Up'N'Dowm (Racsalsoft)

I can, you just need to practise!!! You can control it moderately well after a few goes hold stick wait for it to start then reverse direction as you land(!) - edge pieces you can use the walls to stop you overshooting. It's tough but playable though there is still an issue completing level 1 but start from each level and you can do a few screens. Looks like you get 5 shots from each of the three weapons but it's hard to shoot and move and not fall off... When the plane comes on you just need to hold the stick and leap away - you can choose when to do the edge pieces so do a few when the plane is on screen then get to safety. Minimise danger by clearing rows/columns all at once. You can leap about 5 squares full pelt. You don't need to collect the Question Marks or Hearts to finish a level.

Up'nDown (Sega)

52,252 Level 6!

Weapons?

This round and the Round 8 poll will now close on Tuesday 12PM UK time.

latest tables

Up 'n Down (Sega)

1st therealbountybob (p) 52,252 12pts
2nd orpheuswaking (n) 39,334 11pts
3rd McKong (p) 38,142 10pts
4th Dope (n) 36,476 9pts
5th Rod Tomato (p) 16,402 8pts
6th ballyalley (n) 11,924 7pts
7th jblenkle (n) 9,620 6pts
8th jdh (p) 8,062 5pts

Fastest Time on Round 1 (1pt for players outside the top 3 in the current standings)

!

Up 'N' Down (Rascalsoft)start on last level reached from menu
1st therealbountybob (p) Levels 1-3 completed 1pt
2nd ballyalley (n) 90
3rd orpheuswaking (n) 70
4th roadrunner (n) 40

Season 13 Catch-Up Missed Games

Roadrunner 1pt
Nadral 9800 Level 1 (1pt per level completed, players can start on the last level reached from the menu)

jdh 8pts

Ixion - 215,330 5pts :thumbsup:

Mr Do - 40950 3pts

66,692 Level 8 doesn't seem to get much harder, some speeding trucks. Managed 24 seconds on stage 1!

That score impresses me, but managing to finish the first level in 24 seconds is really over-the-top cool. I'm lucky if I can finish level 1 in 60 seconds. I think I've managed to earn a time bonus just once.

Adam

That score impresses me, but managing to finish the first level in 24 seconds is really over-the-top cool. I'm lucky if I can finish level 1 in 60 seconds. I think I've managed to earn a time bonus just once.

Adam

If you get a flag / flags then jump right over to the other side (across the middle grass) and repeat this you can zig-zag right through level 1. I suspect there must be 20 second routes on all the levels - the Fandal PAL fixed version may be too slow to make the top time (but at least you can now see the trucks!), NTSC game is ok for everything as far as I can see on emulation :)

post-19705-0-00766700-1461519129_thumb.jpg

please vote EVERYONE as it's pretty close (I am hoping for a clear winner!)

I decided to try just hanging out on level 1 and squashing the other vehicles. For me, that's more fun than collecting flags-- plus I scored more points than my previous score!

Up 'N Down - 26,988 (NTSC, Real hardware: 130XE)

post-4925-0-44408300-1461626870_thumb.jpg

I don't see any penalties given to the player for not collecting flags or leaving a level-- which means, if you can manage it, you could probably just hang-out and pounce on cars and trucks all day long (once you get good at it).

Adam

I decided to try just hanging out on level 1 and squashing the other vehicles. For me, that's more fun than collecting flags-- plus I scored more points than my previous score!

Up 'N Down - 26,988 (NTSC, Real hardware: 130XE)

I don't see any penalties given to the player for not collecting flags or leaving a level-- which means, if you can manage it, you could probably just hang-out and pounce on cars and trucks all day long (once you get good at it).

Adam

Yes, this is one of the flaws, though not as fun as doing the levels!

Final tables in a minute :)

Where did everyone go?!! If you missed Up'n Down be sure to play it especially now we have a playable PAL version, not a bad game but could be a whole lot better. The bonus game by Rascalsoft is very hard but is also playable, though we need to find some instructions!

Thanks for playing. I reached level 8 and just pipped Dope to take the win :)

Final tables

Up 'n Down (Sega)

1st therealbountybob (p) 66,692 12pts
2nd Dope (n) 63,540 11pts
3rd orpheuswaking (n) 39,334 10pts
4th McKong (p) 38,142 9pts
5th devwebcl (n) 27,546 8pts
6th ballyalley (n) 26,998 7pts
7th Rod Tomato (p) 16,402 6pts
8th roadrunner (n) 14,480 5pts

9th jblenkle (n) 9,620 4pts
10th jdh (p) 8,062 3pts
11th bluecat (p) 6,138 2pts
12th Sikor (p) 4,572 1pts

Up 'N' Down (Rascalsoft)
1st therealbountybob (p) Levels 1-3 completed 1pt
2nd ballyalley (n) 90
3rd orpheuswaking (n) 70
4th roadrunner (n) 40

Season 13 Catch-Up Missed Games

Roadrunner 1pt
Nadral 9800 Level 1 (1pt per level completed, players can start on the last level reached from the menu)

jdh 8pts

Ixion - 215,330 5pts :thumbsup:

Mr Do - 40950 3pts