IGNORED

Joystick Alternatives?

Sharkham

Howdy all, I'm in the market for a replacement joystick (or two) because the two I have are borked in two different ways. The first is a Sears Video Arcade II controller, and from what I've gathered, its unresponsiveness is endemic to the model. The buttons only work about two-thirds of the time. My other joystick, which I love except for its glaring flaw, is the Atari Power Stick, a handy little number that's comfortable, ergonomic...and for whatever reason, can't input diagonal directions.

My local game shop has a few different options for ~$13 each. I have heard great things about WICO joysticks, and they've got a few in stock:

• This one, which I recall as being the comfiest.
  • This one, "The Plug", which uses the same base as the last one but lacks the stick-button.
  • And this one, which had a good physical feel but the joystick seemed excessively slick.

They also have some standard Atari joysticks, but I have to confess: I can't hold one of those for more than five minutes before my hand cramps up. Who thought a cube would be comfy to hold in your hand like that?

With the controllers I currently have, playing, say, Berserk is a nightmare, because I'm either limiting myself to the cardinal directions, or gambling every time I want to fire. What should I look out for so that I can take on Evil Otto like god intended?

My local shop is run by cool people, so they would probably be open to letting me bring my console in and test each stick firsthand, not only so I can see which one I like, but also so I don't end up with another Malfunctioning Eddie.

I imagine it doesn't matter to much which one I get, but what are you guys' favorite non-standard joysticks? Any other recommendations I could consider? Part of me wants to get a Sega Genesis controller, since those are evidently compatible with the 2600, but the purist in me says that if it's old school Atari, it's gotta be a joystick, not a D-pad.

I'm also wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the Space Age controller, which kind of had a trigger-like design. Looks comfy, but I figure I'd ask you guys if it's any good.

The regular old Atari CX-40, for all its faults, is still a pretty solid controller and I'd see if you can find some in good shape to have around.

That said my usual response to these topics is this. 1. Genesis 3-button controller. I know it almost seems heretical to have a controller with a d-pad instead of a joystick for a 2600, but for a lot of games it just works best. It fits nicely in hand, it is responsive and they are easy to find. 2. Epyx 500XJ, this is hands down my preferred controller for games like Pac Man. I will ALWAYS mention the 500XJ as a controller to get. They fit nicely in hand, it is super responsive and they feel quite durable. Only downside is the button placement is less than ideal for games that require a lot of firing.

:idea: Look out for a Competition Pro.

Not the most ergonomic one, but almost unbreakable.

Ooo, I like the design. It seems like it'd have a good hand-feel to it, especially since it's ambidextrously designed. Thanks for the rec!

How would you rate its directional responsiveness? Will slight tilts get the job done, or is it something that you've really gotta wrench all around?

The regular old Atari CX-40, for all its faults, is still a pretty solid controller and I'd see if you can find some in good shape to have around.

That said my usual response to these topics is this. 1. Genesis 3-button controller. I know it almost seems heretical to have a controller with a d-pad instead of a joystick for a 2600, but for a lot of games it just works best. It fits nicely in hand, it is responsive and they are easy to find. 2. Epyx 500XJ, this is hands down my preferred controller for games like Pac Man. I will ALWAYS mention the 500XJ as a controller to get. They fit nicely in hand, it is super responsive and they feel quite durable. Only downside is the button placement is less than ideal for games that require a lot of firing.

Yeah, part of me feels like if I own an Atari, I should own a CX-40 on principle. It's not a bad controller at all, I agree, it's just that it's really not something you can comfortably hold for long periods of time. I've been tempted by the Genesis controller for ages, and just may cave one day, but I know that it works great. I can get one of those any time; I'm currently primarily interested in authentic joysticks. The 500XJ looks great, it looks kind of like the Space Age controller I linked in the OP, but turned sideways. If its as responsive as you say, color me interested - but if the button placement is "less than ideal" for games with lots of firing, then my Asteroids addicted self may prefer to not get carpal tunnel.

I like the Tac 2 and the Slik Stik. Of the 3 in the original post, the only one I've ever used is the last one ("The Boss") and I hated it. I thought the stick movement felt mushy and I don't like the button on top for most Atari games.

Yeah, that's kind of my opinion on it, too. Getting a feel for it in the store really didn't impress me, I just didn't know if it was that individual joystick having been messed up, or if its flaws were endemic to the model.

You want a real alternative to joysticks? Here you go... :rolling:

(and don't forget the Atari Trak-ball units operate in joystick mode too)

attachicon.gifIMG_1496.jpg

At first, I was horrified, but now I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to test it out. Seems very interesting...

I normally use a Sega Genesis pad since they're tough and I have a lot of them. It's a different experience than using a joystick though. One big difference is that you use your left hand to move and your right hand to shoot when you use a gamepad, but most people use their right hand to move and their left hand to shoot with a joystick. It makes a bigger difference than you'd think. Everyone has their own preference.

Wrist and thumb pain on shooters were key factors in design of my arcade controllers, which are compatible with both the 2600 and 7800. The two basic models are 14" and 18" wide and heavy, so instead of fighting to hold onto the controller they both sit comfortably across the lap or on a coffee table. You are thus free to keep an extremely light touch on the arcade quality joystick and fire button(s). We have both microswitch and leaf switch options.

www.edladdin.com

My local game shop has a few different options for ~$13 each. I have heard great things about WICO joysticks, and they've got a few in stock:

• This one, which I recall as being the comfiest.
  • This one, "The Plug", which uses the same base as the last one but lacks the stick-button.
  • And this one, which had a good physical feel but the joystick seemed excessively slick.

They also have some standard Atari joysticks, but I have to confess: I can't hold one of those for more than five minutes before my hand cramps up. Who thought a cube would be comfy to hold in your hand like that?

Part of me wants to get a Sega Genesis controller, since those are evidently compatible with the 2600, but the purist in me says that if it's old school Atari, it's gotta be a joystick, not a D-pad.

I'm also wondering if any of you guys have any experience with the Space Age controller, which kind of had a trigger-like design. Looks comfy, but I figure I'd ask you guys if it's any good.

Did any Atari-compatible joysticks use micro switches?

Many of the 2600 Joysticks are too stiff, the base really has to be held tight for response.

One of the Wicos linked in the OP the OP has dedicated leaf switches. However the other the Wico stick linked is for the 5200, it uses potentiometers! I like the Wico bat sticks, have the 2600 and the 5200 versions. I also have that Amiga Powerstick mentioned further down, comfortable to control though a bit small. I keep two of those in my SX-64 Commodore Pouch.

amiga-power-stick.jpg

The Sega Genesis gamepad a very good choice, plentiful and on the cheap. Since a gamepad instead of a joystick, comfortable for marathon gaming. The Tac 2 also solid, a definite improvement over the orginal 2600 joystick with a short throw of the stick directions.

=========================================================================================

I own quite a few joysticks found over the decades, here are three of my favorites. First up is very very good "click switch" stick made by EPYX. Since the joystick has a light and solid touch, you won't get hand cramps.

The EPYX 500J

post-13-1126634076.jpg

I have not tried the Space Age joystick mentioned in the OP, but do have a similar design version which also has micro switches. Like the EPYX, a very light solid touch in moving the joystick.

Mindscape Power Player

post-16281-0-37856700-1361905389.jpg

My oddity unit inspired from a video game console, the Channel F. Though no built in paddle and hitting the corners is tricky, comfortable to operate.

Zircon Video Command

post-30831-0-55928500-1332711740.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER
  • Like 1

That last one, the Video Command, I think I've seen it before, probably in some online video. If I remember right, you actually push down on the joystick to fire? I like the idea and it seems ergonomic, but I can also imagine a lot of misfires from pushing down when you didn't mean to.

The EPYX 500J seems to be very widely recommended. It's about $13 online (before shipping) just like the joysticks in my local shop. Some sources tell me that it's real fragile, though - is that true? The WICO joysticks may have a lot of heft, but that means they're built like brick walls.

I'm also noticing an almost exclusively red/black color scheme on all of these joysticks. Did every manufacturer just kind of agree that that looked best? Gotta say, though, it means that just about any joystick I get will match the aesthetic of my Sears Video Arcade II.

In the original post, the second joystick you showed is for the Atari 5200. It requires a splitter cable to work. It does not work on an Atari 2600.

Thanks for the heads-up, although the picture's not mine, I grabbed it off of Google. I could've sworn the one in the shop (of the same model) is for the 2600, but I'll double-check the box when I see it again. It's not one I'm leaning towards too much anyway, though, so no huge loss if it is indeed for the 52.

The wico command control bat or ball style joysticks have always been my favorites as far as joysticks go. When I really want to get serious with a game I switch to a genesis pad though. Maybe it's because I've played with gamepads most of my life, but I'm always better at atari games with the genesis controller.

• Like 1

I got a used Tac-2 controller, although it's a great joystick, its buttons are very, very bad.

Maybe I should open it and try to clean the contacts?

Now, I'm interested in the Competion Pro Thomas mentioned.

Yes, clean the contacts. It's easy to do and makes a world of difference. Iirc mine used a special square screwdriver on the screws.

The EPYX 500J seems to be very widely recommended. It's about $13 online (before shipping) just like the joysticks in my local shop. Some sources tell me that it's real fragile, though - is that true?

I wouldn't call the 500XJ fragile, mine feels fairly well made. The big thing with it is that it doesn't require very big inputs, so you aren't wrenching it around like you could with a CX-40. Plus with its, for a lack of a better term, clickiness, you know when you've moved it enough. There isn't any mushiness at all -- unlike say the 7800 Proline controllers.

I mentioned in my first post that my current go-to stick is the palm-sized Powerstick, which I also mentioned tragically cannot do diagonal inputs.

amiga-power-stick.jpg

Now, I've got about zero fix-it knowhow myself, but do you guys think there is any way to fix this? Because when I say that I'm looking for another controller, I'd like to get an additional joystick, ideally not a replacement.

Edited by Sharkham