IGNORED

Converting composite/s-video to VGA

Nateo

I'd really like to use a CRT VGA display for use with my 8-bits. I've been mulling over some conversion options for composite/s-Video to VGA, and obviously some options are more expensive than others, and finding professional reviews on these products is difficult. I'm even looking at one now that is of a 90's vintage, but online research isn't producing anything (I mainly want to make sure it will accept an NTSC signal and can take an American power supply).

My main concern is lag since I do a lot of gaming on these machines. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Here is my experimenting with this issue:

The Teknika MA-RGB7 Card and the SainSmart GBS-8220 RGB/CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA Arcade HD Video Converter Board

The Apple ][gs and the SainSmart GBS-8220 RGB/CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA Arcade HD Video Converter Board

Other Threads:

RGB to VGA adapters ( requires RGB )

GBS-8200 converter ( requires RGB )

RGB2VGA ( has a Composite NTSC Input )

And there are likely more that I missed...

MarkO

i quite like the MyGica Gamebox HD (or HD Gamebox... depends on the source) which does composite, S-video and a few others quite well and seems to work at the assorted 8-bit systems i've thrown at it even when the cheap eBay upscalers have failed.

I bought a cheapo composite/s-video to VGA adapter a bit ago on e-bay...

Worked fairly well for composite, but for some reason, s-video had the colors off (I mean one color seemed a pixel line lower than the other colors or something like that..). It was interesting... ;-)

As cheap as it was, it was probably still worth it tho.. ;-)

If only I could remember which drawer I put that in now.. Hmmmm...

desiv

• Like 1

Watch out for the cheap-o composite-VGA converters. They expect an interlaced signal, and our beloved old machines (Commodore 64, Atari XE, TI-99/4A, which I have tested) output a progressive signal. This upsets the converter.