IGNORED

Which is one video game console that you do not own but wish you did?

Probably I guess an original Famicom. I mean I have original NES of course and I have ways to play Famicom carts but always thought some how I just should have the original real deal. Maybe some day. More just for the collection as I only have a single Famicom cart and that is a knock off 400 in 1 lol.

• Like 1

For those of you who rarely visit "the other side", there is a similar topic going on about (irrational) retro computing wants right now.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/249703-what-is-your-retro-computing-most-irrational-want/

Good idea to link it.

I'm pretty much done on console collecting, but I have some other computer wants to fulfill.

The console I'd like would be that ALF TV GAME, but I could also showcase is on the computer wants since it's just a Spectrum in a shell.

BTW, from the writing, I just noticed that the ALF TV GAME have the D-pad and actions buttons reversed.

485746860.jpg

On note, I might add that there are console I own, but doesn't work properly, so...I own them but they doesn't do much now.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

Probably I guess an original Famicom.

That is another one you can get fairly cheap from Japan, in particular if you don't care about discolouration as long as it works OK. The eBay seller Yamatoku Classic usually always have a few for sale, and unlike most other sellers, they test everything they sell and even indicate that might be wrong with something. I've bought two Famicoms, one SCV, one PC Engine and a bunch of games from there and must say it is a 100% seller. Even the items sold as untested or partly broken have turned out to be fine after a bit of cleaning. Shipping from Japan also is affordable if you can live with waiting a few weeks, up to a month or so.

• Like 1

That is another one you can get fairly cheap from Japan, in particular if you don't care about discolouration as long as it works OK. The eBay seller Yamatoku Classic usually always have a few for sale, and unlike most other sellers, they test everything they sell and even indicate that might be wrong with something. I've bought two Famicoms, one SCV, one PC Engine and a bunch of games from there and must say it is a 100% seller. Even the items sold as untested or partly broken have turned out to be fine after a bit of cleaning. Shipping from Japan also is affordable if you can live with waiting a few weeks, up to a month or so.

Second the sentiment on Yamatoku .... I even bought an "untested" Sega Saturn Floppy from them and it worked (just needed to find a proper power supply and try it out [sega 2103 ac power works just fine]) .. so yeah now I own a Saturn Floppy and yes it works with any version of PDS to save and with Dezaemon 3D ... and that's pretty much it for in-game save support (LOL, at least I didn't spend a fortune on it).

The first time I bought from them I didn't receive any confirmation at all for a few days, I called eBay who was helpless aside giving me their phone number ... in Japan, low and behold I call and someone picks up the phone, we managed to speak a few words of English to each other and the issue was that I hit a long national holiday there hence they were not in office, and that was it. Their description is usually spot on so you know what they did/didn't do.

• Like 1

I second on Yamatoku. Tho some untested items are bonkers. I received a Cd-ROM² that didn't only had a rotten gear but also a dead laser. But ah well, that's the game heh? I got a "not working" Neo Geo CD from them from 50$; a,d it was only the door switch that was bent down and so was always "off". Jsut had to pull on it, and bam, working.

And yeah, even if you do'nt hit national holidays or something, they take very long to prepare your shipment. I assume that they have lots of commands and that they retry the items before shipping, then take time to wrap them (one thing I can add to them is how professionally the items are packaged - I don't doubt any second that it's a physical store) and that because they work aside, they prepare the shipment on free time and/or like every Saturday or something, so if you finalized your order on Sunday, they won't ship before tht day. Tho I haven't checked, but waiting about one week before they ship it is almost normal.

• Like 1

I'd love to get an Atari 5200. When it first came out it was just too expensive for me and didn't last in the market very long. If Edladdin comes out with a decent controller for it, I'll probably try to pick it up.

I know I'm probably somehow missing the point here, but if you're going to spend a ton of good money to rid the 5200 of its weirdo analog controller, IMO, about all you've got left at the end of the day is an XEGS without it's large game library, extra ram, and video output options.

Those crazy, fiddly controllers are what 5200 has going for it. But then, maybe my opinion isn't the best...I've never actually turned my 5200 on... ;)

the controller wasn't bad, the idea .... just too soon (like Internet movie streaming in the late 90s [modem 57600 .... ouch] .... no no, too soon).
I've got to hand it to them, that onlive microconsole controller is the best modern-style controller I've handled. Battery seemed to fall off a lot, but the ergonomics were just stellar. A shame I have the microconsole one and not the one for PC (*heads off to ebay to correct that*). Amazon's fire controller looks so similar, I'll just bet the same hand designed it.
Early on, Onlive really was pretty playable in terms of latency. It got worse and worse until it quickly wasn't worth playing.
Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

For me that would be a Lunar Lander Arcade unit but I just settled for a Vectrex which I always found fascinating for its unique display. What was said above about the library seems to be true at first glance, though.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

That ALF console is really neat.

Having owned a number of consoles over the years, and having kept (most) of the ones I've wanted/liked the most, this is difficult. One that I got rid off that I wish I hadn't (that I have not reacquired) has been the TG16/PCE. I suppose at this point in the game, I'd just bite the bullet and go for a Turbo Duo. That said, I do want to get a Lynx, and a Jaguar again. Should have never parted with those either.

• Like 1

I've had many consoles so there are very few consoles I've never owned. Neo Geo console would probably be #1 on the list as they were crazy expensive back in the day and still pricey today.

Other consoles I never owned and would get eventually are: Microvision (for LCD mod if one ever comes up), Neo Geo Pocket, PS3, PS4, XBox 360, and XBox One. The last 4 would be only if I find them very cheap and working. $25 PS3 is likely dead though.

• Like 1

Zimba 3000

My serious answer, well that was serious but not truly retro, would probably be an Atari 8-bit computer. That may be cheating a little but, in my opinion, computers back then were game consoles because the games were programmed specifically for that hardware. That is much different than how it is today with the same operating systems and software running on a huge variety of computers. In other words, computer software was "consolized" back then. Also, they seem to be more about gaming than doing serious work or at least that is how they look today.

The only memory I can think of about them from back in the day was one day seeing an Atari 400 playing Pac-Man in day care. Seeing it look like that on a TV blew me away. It also seems like to my child mind it wasn't as serious as it was intended to be and more of a toy because of the keyboard. It felt like I was looking at this extremely advanced Atari 2600 that was also an extremely advanced Speak & Spell.

Anyway, I feel like I missed out on it back then and getting their games would feel like HD remakes of what I didn't miss out on back then. And... They use CARTS!

Edit: As a side note, I'm also a member of the retards who sold their Vectrex club. I have to get that back.

• Like 2

My serious answer, well that was serious but not truly retro, would probably be an Atari 8-bit computer. That may be cheating a little but, in my opinion, computers back then were game consoles because the games were programmed specifically for that hardware. That is much different than how it is today with the same operating systems and software running on a huge variety of computers. In other words, computer software was "consolized" back then. Also, they seem to be more about gaming than doing serious work or at least that is how they look today.

Many people express that...

It's just that indeed, most people bough them for their kids, and kids want to play.

But 8 bits computer saw massive use as computing tools.

One famous example :

SchneiderBMWMuseum2.jpg

Schneider (Amstrad rebadged) CPC used in a BMW factory to control the robots.

The second thing is that there were computer mroe specialized, that because they aren't about gaming, are forgotten.

Amstrad is famous for the CPC. They sold 3 millions of them.

Only hardcore computer fans or Amstrad fans know about the Amstrad PCW.

It was a "word processor" but unlike many other "word processors" of the time, that were fancy typewriters with some built-in programs, the PCW was basically an Amstrad CPC stuck in high resolution mode, with 2 floppy drives, and a built-in green screen.

It was able to boot from floppy and launch CP/M, the then standard OS for professionnal software.

The PCW is even the most sold PCW able machine.

It sold 8 millions.

(for comparison, that's more unit sold than the sales of the official Spectrum and the whole Atari 8 bits COMBINED. The Atari 8 bits line sold around 2 millions worldwide)

And yet, because it was mostly focused on the professionnal market, it's merely remembered.

Amstrad_PWC_-_Schneider_Joyce.jpg

And there are plenty more of computers and word processors that were more or less successfull, but since the bulk of computer fans are retrogamers, the ones we remember the most are the gaming ones, not the professionnal ones.

It only make sense - there are more car enthousiasts than bus or tractor enthousiasts. We remember or want machines we enjoyed or can enjoy. I could have gotten a Sinclair ZX 80 but I refused - it's too limited to my tastes.

• Like 2

Hm...well, there are a few I wouldn't mind getting my mitts on one day. Obviously, as many above me have stated a Vectrex, but prices keep climbing and is pretty out of my limit as is. As crazy as it sounds, I really would like a Virtual Boy. Same thing with the VB as the Vectrex, too pricey for what is there, but those prices just keep on going up and up. Also, a TurboGrafx Express would easily be a crown jewel in my handheld collection, sadly there just aren't many out there, and, as with the other two again, too expensive.

Those three are the ones I actively seek out and would kill to have in the collection, there are other smaller handhelds like the Microvision, N-Gage (don't laugh at me, I'm a handheld collector), and a PSP. Some consoles like, Sega Master System, Sega Saturn, SNES (I have a Hyperkin SupaBoy, which is fine, but nothing beats the real thing) are things I'd get, at the right price.

• Like 2

I found a Vectrex for sale in my vicinity on Craigslist. It's in great shape with a couple games for $275. I'd go for it if it was $200. That's something that is going to require a lot of patience for me to acquire in thr future as the prices for it are rising. Another one I love to get is the Atari XE computer and if the system was more reliable an Astrocade.

• Like 1

Many people express that...

It's just that indeed, most people bough them for their kids, and kids want to play.

But 8 bits computer saw massive use as computing tools.

One famous example :

SchneiderBMWMuseum2.jpg

Schneider (Amstrad rebadged) CPC used in a BMW factory to control the robots.

The second thing is that there were computer mroe specialized, that because they aren't about gaming, are forgotten.

Amstrad is famous for the CPC. They sold 3 millions of them.

Only hardcore computer fans or Amstrad fans know about the Amstrad PCW.

It was a "word processor" but unlike many other "word processors" of the time, that were fancy typewriters with some built-in programs, the PCW was basically an Amstrad CPC stuck in high resolution mode, with 2 floppy drives, and a built-in green screen.

It was able to boot from floppy and launch CP/M, the then standard OS for professionnal software.

The PCW is even the most sold PCW able machine.

It sold 8 millions.

(for comparison, that's more unit sold than the sales of the official Spectrum and the whole Atari 8 bits COMBINED. The Atari 8 bits line sold around 2 millions worldwide)

And yet, because it was mostly focused on the professionnal market, it's merely remembered.

Amstrad_PWC_-_Schneider_Joyce.jpg

And there are plenty more of computers and word processors that were more or less successfull, but since the bulk of computer fans are retrogamers, the ones we remember the most are the gaming ones, not the professionnal ones.

It only make sense - there are more car enthousiasts than bus or tractor enthousiasts. We remember or want machines we enjoyed or can enjoy. I could have gotten a Sinclair ZX 80 but I refused - it's too limited to my tastes.

I get what you are saying but what I meant by serious work compared to gaming was about home personal computers and not computers at factories, offices, etc. It is like how today most people's personal computers could do all kinds of work but people mostly just use them for the internet most of the time. Today it is internet and in the past it was games. In other words, people use personal computing more for entertainment instead of being productive. A computer branded with Atari that has controller ports built into it would be like gaming PC's today. Kids may say it is for educational purposes to their parents but they really wanted them for gaming. And their parents probably did too.