IGNORED

Which is one video game console that you do not own but wish you did?

Oh, in that sense, sure!

Yes, the home computer market was definitivel geared toward gaming.

Even here in France, Thomson sold their TO and MO computers series, first designed for school use, with much emphasis on the gaming side, delivering a joystick module that worked with most games on the go, etc.

But I often heard that 8 bits computers, all of them, were just toys and that companies jumped from typewriters or DEC mainframes to the IBM PC, which is absolutely wrong - the 25 millions of C64 computer sold weren't all for gaming, the professionnal market did a huge share of that number.

I a way, it make sense, too.

Computers needed graphical modes to be interesting - else, an electronic typewriter with a screen could do as well a a computer. And having extensions and controllers of all kind.

Also, there wasn't a million choices for hardware; unless you designed your own chip, there were so few options to choose from, so it all make sense that 8 bits consoles and computer for personnal use share stricking similarities.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

I wish I owned a Master System. I think that's really the only one I don't have that I actually desire.

Funny there is a Master system at my local retro store I have been pondering myself. I don't need it but it does have a certain appeal to it though. I remember a friend of mine had one back in the day and he traded in his NES for it. He said it was a better trade cause the Master System looked better or so he thought.

Having picked up a Channel F, Vectrex and TG16 in the few years, there isn't a whole lot left I really need. I will get a 5200 if I come across the right deal as I have quite a pile of carts I have picked up here and there for next to nothing. I guess the main thing lacking is Master System. I have about twenty games for it and I can technically play them with Master Gear attachment for my Game Gear, but that is not a good option for most games; you can see what you are doing for the most part, but text, scores and most projectiles are nearly impossible to see. I would be perfectly satisfied with a power base converter to play SMS on the Genesis, though.

I still have a strange compulsion to have a Virtual Boy, and would likely pick up a Bally Astrocade or Emerson Arcadia at the right price.

I would be perfectly satisfied with a power base converter to play SMS on the Genesis, though.

Not that I like to plug other places but rather than a power base converter you could go with the mini made by DB electronics.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/powerbase-mini.html

Just throwing that one out there since that fits other Geneses....Genesi? Including model 2. Or you could go for the FM one which gets you even more different sound.

On another point I should have bought that Atari XEGS they had in the retro store I just could not justify the price tag at the time for $120.

• Like 1

Not that I like to plug other places but rather than a power base converter you could go with the mini made by DB electronics.

Just throwing that one out there since that fits other Geneses....Genesi? Including model 2. Or you could go for the FM one which gets you even more different sound.

That is pretty slick, doesn't allow for card games, but no big loss. I would have move the Genesis around from it's current spot to avoid having to peek around the cart setup to see the screen, but not a big deal. $40 is about what I am finding power bases for lately and this would be easier to handle and store.

On another point I should have bought that Atari XEGS they had in the retro store I just could not justify the price tag at the time for $120.

That's pretty neat. I'm not really on board with handing 80 bucks to my local gameshop for a master system but I do have a Genesis Model 2 in good shape and at that price I'd be much more likely to bite.

APF M/P1000, Arcadia 2001, Sears Speedway IV, PC Engine Duo, NeoGeo CD, NeoGeo Pocket Color.

Oooh, and an INTV System III. Don't *need* one since I have an Intellivision, a Sylvania/GTE Intellivision, a Tandyvision, and an Intellivision II...I just think the System III looks awesome. :)

Good advice, but unless you already have a bunch of Master System carts, I would probably just get an Everdrive from the same site. That is a flash cart that let's you play the Master System (and Genesis) games on the Genesis. It is more expensive, but you won't be spending as much on Master System carts.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't count as classic gaming, but I went to a retro gaming store with the intention of getting an original Xbox and they didn't didn't test it, so they didn't sell it to me. It still bothers me to this day.

I'm luck enough to have a working original XBox in my collection, I've had it since new and now have an XBox, XBox360 and XBox One at the same time :-D

One regret is getting rid of an XEGS I had, and never replaced. A NES is probably next on the cards for me if I'm honest.

I understand being miffed about the UntestedBox, but it's probably for the best. I've bought/had the chance to buy 2 original Xboxes cheap recently. One was modded and wouldn't eject the disc tray, one kept closing the tray without prompting & wouldn't read discs anyway. Based on that, and things I've read online, it seems there's a lot of pretty f'ed up OGBoxes out there. Honestly, the main reason I'm not rushing about to get one 'before it's too late' is knowing my fiancé has one squirreled away I can run off with when he's not looking. :twisted:

• Like 1

I understand being miffed about the UntestedBox, but it's probably for the best. I've bought/had the chance to buy 2 original Xboxes cheap recently. One was modded and wouldn't eject the disc tray, one kept closing the tray without prompting & wouldn't read discs anyway. Based on that, and things I've read online, it seems there's a lot of pretty f'ed up OGBoxes out there. Honestly, the main reason I'm not rushing about to get one 'before it's too late' is knowing my fiancé has one squirreled away I can run off with when he's not looking. :twisted:

Well I know my local Game store has a back room full of Xbox's all in different conditions. I snagged up one "broken" for $10 took it home took it apart and found the hard drive cable/disk drive one cable to connect both which needed replacing. Yeah it took a few hours but it was nice to see it all back and working.

always goo to check to bottom of any of them and see if there is a puncture mark under the metal sticker cause chances are that means someone got into it. But that could also mean someone hacked it and turned it into a multi console machine as well.

But borrowing when they are looking....sneaky and rewarding. ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

got 2600 5200 7800, Coleco, NES, SNES, genesis, 32x, ps1, ps2, 360, Wii, game cube, jamma cab, Dreamcast, so I guess the next big hole is intv. Don't care for N64. Don't want to spend a bunch, so no Jag. Gameboy converter for the cube is a wish list too.

Edited by toiletunes

For me it's mostly the Neo Geo AES and a Neo Geo pocket. Back in '97 I refrained from buying a Gameboy Color because i saw an article about the Neo Geo Pocket. Never did end up seeing one in person. I also wouldn't mind getting a Virtual Boy, and with only 22 games released, it would be an easy collection to fill out. Probably the only one I have a chance of completing lol

I have always wanted a Turbo Duo. I even remember trying to buy one back in the day... I saved money for months and when I finally had enough, I couldn't find a local store that sold them. :( I eventually picked up a TG16, but I still want a Duo.

My second most wanted console is the Neo Geo AES. I have only seen one in person once, and that was at an overpriced retro game store. It was for sale for an insane price, so I passed. Put it this way, you could pick up A FEW MVS's for that kind of money!

I've also been on the hunt for a Sega CD. I had friends that had them, but I never did. I did figure out how to emulate it, so at least I can play some of the games, but I'd love to have the real thing.

My latest obsession is finding an original Famicom or a Twin Famicom. I'd love to find one locally to avoid paying $40 for shipping the thing from Japan. I did have a line on an original Famicom at a local shop, but it was gone before I could buy it.

And for those who do not have a Vectrex, they are awesome and worth every penny. Most of the games for it are great, too!

Scratch one off that list: I won an auction for a Famicom yesterday! :D It's an original one, AV modded, and came with a few games and a modified US Zapper that plugs into the expansion port. Also ordered a handful of games for it already. Can't wait!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...