IGNORED

Which is one video game console that you do not own but wish you did?

Damn, hit up eBay UK for Neo Geo Pocket, and they are quite expensive, £50 for a working example, with games also expensive, so I need to park that idea for now whilst I'm spending out on upgrades for my Atari STs.

Dude- pop over to US Ebay. You should be able to find a working unit for $50-70 dollars, depending on color. The vast majority of the games are under $20 too (provided you don't need boxes.)

Edited by HoshiChiri

To answer the OP, I would go with Vectrex myself. Very unique system with lots of good games, and the only home console ever to use a vector screen. I hope someone (Kevtris???) releases an FPGA implementation some day. It would be an awesome game system to play, and the vector lines would look gorgeous emulated in 1080p, even if not quite the same as the real deal.

Another one high on my wishlist would be a region-free Turbo or PCe express. Region modded would be a necessity as I own both Turbo and PCe games for it. Too expensive for my blood though. Other consoles on my wishlist, besides the AVS (HD FPGA NES) and Nintendo NX, due out next year, would be either an XEGS or 5200 to round out my Atari collection.

Jaguar and Virtual Boy are expensive shelf pieces I want nothing to do with, though Wario Land VB would be awesome on N3DS VC. Always wanted to play that one again, as I played it for like maybe 15 minutes at a kiosk back in high school.

Zimba 3000

Generally something has to be released first before you can own one! ;-)

Scratch one off that list: I won an auction for a Famicom yesterday! :D It's an original one, AV modded, and came with a few games and a modified US Zapper that plugs into the expansion port. Also ordered a handful of games for it already. Can't wait!

I've got the AV Famicom. Bought it from a member on this forum in 2013 and do not regret it. I've since wired up the player 2 controller port to work with with accessory controllers (Zapper works but Vaus only supports US games since Famicom releases, notably Arkanoid II, used the Famicom Vaus which used a different pinout on the accessory port). Also added a frigging bright red LED under the Power switch. Outwardly though, my AV Famicom looks completely stock and easily the best option for playing Famicom games without dealing with import adapters or tuning to CATV channels 95-96.

Dude- pop over to US Ebay. You should be able to find a working unit for $50-70 dollars, depending on color. The vast majority of the games are under $20 too (provided you don't need boxes.)

I'll have a look, but might be just as expensive including postage. Are they region locked?

I'll have a look, but might be just as expensive including postage. Are they region locked?

Nope, you can get one from anywhere. Worst case scenario, you end up with one where the internal menus are set to Japanese- but all that would mean is asking someone here to walk you through which buttons to hit to switch to English.

Make sure you have a 2032 button battery handy on top of a couple AAs. They use those for on-system save info, and chances are you'll need to replace that right away.

• Like 1

Truth be told, I'm pretty satisfied with what I own:

2600 Jr

800XL

130XE

Genesis x2

Sega CD

32X

3DO FZ-1

Japanese Saturn mk 1

Backlight DMG Gameboy

GBASP

PSP 3000

Gamecube

Anything else that I like (PCE, NES, 7800, MSX, C64, ST, GG) I just emulate. The only things I might entertain getting in the future is an Intellivision or a Dreamcast.

Edited by zetastrike

Got to say I'm quite happy with my collection, I tend to expand it as things come available, rather than searching. It's taken a good many years to get this lot together.

Computers:

Atari 800XL + 1050 FDD and 1010 cassette player and APE + SIO2PC

Atari 65XE

Atari 1040STF

Atari 4060STE upgraded to 1.44 FDD and Dual IDE

Amiga 1200 upgraded with HDD and 68020 accelerator

Sinclair Spectrum Plus

Sinclair Spectrum Plus 2

Sinclair ZX81

Sinclair QL x2 plus memory and ROM expanders

ICL One Per Desk

Mac Classic

Epson HX20

Consoles:

Xbox

SNES boxed and complete

Dreamcast boxed and complete

Atari 2600jr

Atari 7800

Handheld:

Atari Lynx 2

Sony PSP

GP 32

GP2x

Original DS

GBA

With the exception of the Spectrum Plus and the ZX81, all are fully functional.

I have and Xbox 360 and Xbox One, but I don't count those as collectable, same as the DSi XL I have.

I will usually add to the collection when something grabs my interest, and all of the above that run, get used.

Edited by atarifanboi

I've owned a lot of systems, and sold a bunch.

Really, what I want... is a place somewhere that I can keep all these game systems hooked up, with the room dust free, don't have to pay for the power, or security... and I can come and go as I please!

I could have that at home, but it's totally unfeasible to have a normal household & family with hundreds of game systems hooked up.

• Like 1

Truth be told, I'm pretty satisfied with what I own:

[...]

Got to say I'm quite happy with my collection, I tend to expand it as things come available, rather than searching. It's taken a good many years to get this lot together.

[...]

Might as well throw my hat in the ring. Complete list of systems currently owned:

Atari consoles:

• Atari 2600A (4-switch woody)
  • Atari 7800
  • Lynx I

Nintendo consoles:

• NES
  • AV Famicom
  • SNES
  • Super Game Boy
  • N64
  • Game Cube w/ Game Boy Player
  • Wii-U

Nintendo handhelds:

• DMG Game Boy w/ backlight
  • GBA
  • GBA-SP
  • DS Phat
  • 3DS xL
  • "New" 3DS xL

Nintendo Game 'n' Watch:

• Donkey Kong
  • Mario Bros
  • Super Mario Bros
  • Cement Factory

Tiger Electronics:

• Mouse Maze

3rd party consoles:

• Turbografx-16
  • Sega Genesis
  • PS3
  • Ouya

Clone systems:

• Super Retro Trio w/ Advance Retro Port
  • Retro Freak Standard
  • FC Mobile II (handheld NES)
  • SupaBoy (handheld SNES)
  • Various junk NOAC clones and pirate plug n plays not worth mentioning

Homebrew console:

• UzeBox (8-bit homebrew console with SD)

Cartridge converters:

• Various 60-72 pin Nintendo converters (both types)
  • PC Henshin (play PC Engine games on Turbografx)
  • PowerBase Mini (play SMS on Genesis)

Dead/busted:

• Dead Lynx I (powers on - no video / no audio)
  • Game Boy Color (broken speaker)
  • Wii w/ clear blue case mod (powers on but crashes and has corrupted system memory)

Wishlist:

• RetroUSB AVS (FPGA based 720p NES clone) - ETA June 2016
  • Nintendo NX - ETA 2017
  • Kevtris' Zimba 3000 (FPGA multiconsole)
  • Coleco Chameleon!!! :rolling:
  • Like 1

I almost wanted a 3do again but I will wait till my buddy gets tired of his and just trade some beers for it. The more thought I put into what else I might want the more my wallet says NNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!. So I will go with what I have which is definitely enough and will still cost my plenty to buy for in the future.

Here is my list.

Stuff.

A little of this.

Some of that.

Nothing Special.

For me it's a front lit Game Boy Color. It's the last console that I've wanted to get for years but never picked up. I have an original un-modded Game Boy Color and I adore it, but I've yet to drop the cash for one with the front light from an AGS-001 Game Boy Advance SP installed in it. I think just having a light source to illuminate the screen built into the system rather than having to use a Nyko Worm Light every time I want to play the system anywhere other than outside on a sunny day or sitting right under a lamp will increase my enjoyment of the system tenfold.

I've been pondering this question off and on over the last few months and there's really only two systems other than the aforementioned front lit Game Boy Color that I don't own but really wish I did, and I'm actually not sure which of the three I want the most.

The first of the other two is a backlit and biverted original gray brick Game Boy, with an olive green backlight specifically (to match the color of the original Game Boy screen as closely as possible). I still love playing games on the old gray brick, but man can it ever be hard to see the screen indoors unless I'm sitting directly under a light source. I'm not sure if I'd get more use out of this or a front lit Game Boy Color, but I sure do want both of them!

The second system, and the only other system I can think of that I don't own and would really like to have, is a black colored normal sized New 3DS. At this point I have owned a couple nice New 3DS travel cases and a set of pretty purple New 3DS cover plates imported from Japan for the better part of a year now in preparation for Nintendo to release the black New 3DS in North America, but they still haven't done it! I'd really love to own a New 3DS but the XL size ones are too heavy for my carpal tunnel to handle, and I learned my lesson about the way white handhelds discolor over time from my original launch model DS Lite. But alas, for now the only color option for a regular non-XL sized New 3DS in North America is white. I'm still crossing my fingers that they'll release the black one over here at some point before the NX launches in March next year, and you can bet that I'll be scrambling to get the cash together to pre-order one the moment they're announced.

Two for me.

Vectrix. 100ish dollars probably not to bad on price. I just cant bring myself to pay that and have shipped a rather fragile console from ebay. I have been grabbing games and homebrews in hopes that I find one someday.

Neogeo. Not the pocket. I have several of those and their great. I mean the console. Price is the reason there. When it was being made it had that "fuck you if you cant afford me" price. And now its discontinued. I just cant justify the price.

• Like 1

Two on my list. But I know for a fact I´ll never get any of them:

- Entex Adventurevision

- APF Imagination Machine (Already got a MP-1000)

OK, we all know Adventurevision are super expensive (three thousand dollars?). But the last two Imagination Machine that surfaced on eBay went for like a thousand a piece. Wow.

Vectrix. 100ish dollars probably not to bad on price. I just cant bring myself to pay that and have shipped a rather fragile console from ebay. I have been grabbing games and homebrews in hopes that I find one someday.

I´ve imported two of them down here to Brazil. They both arrived just fine after a 10000 mile trip.

It´s a sturdy beast. :-)