IGNORED

Which is one video game console that you do not own but wish you did?

Yeah, I've seen some rarer games for the cube out there at £200, needless to say I won't be spending that!

There's quite a good variance with the other games, I think I'll be shopping very selectively!

200 pounds? Good grief! I was thinking more in terms of million+ sellers like Paper Mario TTYD going for $40 USD on eBay and stuff. I'm not sure how the market value for PAL Game Cube games may be different than US NTSC though. There exist Freeloader and Action Replay discs which let you bypass the region check to allow play of imports on your Game Cube without a need for modding.

There are also modchips that let you play imports or even mini DVDRs, however I have heard that using mini DVDs with the Game Cube can stress the disc laser causing premature wear of the drive mech. If you're going to go the piracy route however, it would be better to simply use a soft-modded b/c compatible Wii to run Game Cube ISOs natively off an SD card.

I understand being miffed about the UntestedBox, but it's probably for the best. I've bought/had the chance to buy 2 original Xboxes cheap recently. One was modded and wouldn't eject the disc tray, one kept closing the tray without prompting & wouldn't read discs anyway. Based on that, and things I've read online, it seems there's a lot of pretty f'ed up OGBoxes out there. Honestly, the main reason I'm not rushing about to get one 'before it's too late' is knowing my fiancé has one squirreled away I can run off with when he's not looking. :twisted:

Quoting myself because I have been given permission to run off with this previously mentioned Xbox tomorrow. Mwahaha!

So that puts the want list at a Yurkievision, a Vectrex, and a Goddamn Sega Saturn. Although all of that will probably be put aside in favor of getting my Intellivision worked on... the glitchiness that I was blaming on the new HDTV has gotten worse, it's all but unusable right now. I'd be tempted to just get another machine (there's a couple Inty 2s around my area right now), but this one's sort of a family heirloom. I'd rather keep it going if I can.

Also toying with the idea of a Wonderswan and a TurboDuo Express... but I only know of 1 game I'd want for each (klonoa and bonk, respectively.) I don't buy systems for one game.

• Like 1

200 pounds? Good grief! I was thinking more in terms of million+ sellers like Paper Mario TTYD going for $40 USD on eBay and stuff.

You can actually scratch £200 I've just seen a sealed copy of The Legend of Zelda: The wind waker for £499! I doubt any one in their right mind would pay that when the same game can be had unsealed for £25.

Most games on eBay seem to fall in the range of £10-£20, which is acceptable I think, though I have yet to look at used game stores.

Quoting myself because I have been given permission to run off with this previously mentioned Xbox tomorrow. Mwahaha!

So that puts the want list at a Yurkievision, a Vectrex, and a Goddamn Sega Saturn. Although all of that will probably be put aside in favor of getting my Intellivision worked on... the glitchiness that I was blaming on the new HDTV has gotten worse, it's all but unusable right now. I'd be tempted to just get another machine (there's a couple Inty 2s around my area right now), but this one's sort of a family heirloom. I'd rather keep it going if I can.

Also toying with the idea of a Wonderswan and a TurboDuo Express... but I only know of 1 game I'd want for each (klonoa and bonk, respectively.) I don't buy systems for one game.

Let me know when you want a Saturn I know a place where I can get a few fairly cheap but in the end its the games that will kill you and run off with your wallet, your dog, your cat ,and possibly your firstborn sadly. Luckily I had my Saturn before my dog cat and child along with some games. I just wish they were not so astronomical in price.

I think I want a Colecovision and I know where I can find one I just need to figure out how to convince they guy he does not need it.

• Like 1

Let me know when you want a Saturn I know a place where I can get a few fairly cheap but in the end its the games that will kill you and run off with your wallet, your dog, your cat ,and possibly your firstborn sadly. Luckily I had my Saturn before my dog cat and child along with some games. I just wish they were not so astronomical in price.

Agreed! The system itself shouldn't be too hard to acquire, but this might be one where I buy games first because I find a deal, rather than 'plan' to get one & buy a console right away. (I'll keep you in mind, though!)

This week I got bit pretty hard by the "I want a new console" bug, but what I decided I wanted isn't something that exists... yet. It occurred to me that it would be really (really) cool if there was a handheld Virtual Boy, maybe about the same size as the Game Boy Pocket, that kept the Virtual Boy external aesthetics but played original Game Boy games in that same "red pixels on a black background" color scheme that the Virtual Boy is so well known for. In 2D of course, I'm not that greedy. :lol:

After contemplating the matter a bit further I realized that it would indeed be possible to make something just like what I had in mind, using a Game Boy Pocket with a black colored front shell half, red colored rear shell half, custom buttons and D-Pad colored to match the Virtual Boy button and D-Pad colors, and an inverted red backlight.

I've already contacted 8bitAesthetics about having them build it and I will be placing my order for the Virtual Boy Pocket next Friday. :D

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

Late bloomer, eh?

You'll fall in love with Mario Galaxy series.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that, I'll have to try and pick them up! I'm amazed that I've been able to get a Wii and a Gamecube for under £40 for both! I'd like to get a NES as I already have a SNES, so I'd then have everything but an N64, so I at least have my next targets to buy! Trouble is, both the NES and N64 are currently more expensive, so I'll just have to keep a close eye on what's for sale on eBay.

This week I got bit pretty hard by the "I want a new console" bug, but what I decided I wanted isn't something that exists... yet. It occurred to me that it would be really (really) cool if there was a handheld Virtual Boy, maybe about the same size as the Game Boy Pocket, that kept the Virtual Boy external aesthetics but played original Game Boy games in that same "red pixels on a black background" color scheme that the Virtual Boy is so well known for. In 2D of course, I'm not that greedy. :lol:

After contemplating the matter a bit further I realized that it would indeed be possible to make something just like what I had in mind, using a Game Boy Pocket with a black colored front shell half, red colored rear shell half, custom buttons and D-Pad colored to match the Virtual Boy button and D-Pad colors, and an inverted red backlight.

I've already contacted 8bitAesthetics about having them build it and I will be placing my order for the Virtual Boy Pocket next Friday. :D

You know what has anyone asked Nintendo to put the Virtual boy still on the sale site for 3ds? Not saying that's a good idea but i bet there would be some takers. I feel this has been done though but since the console is already 3d would that make sense?

• Like 2

Bally Astrocade! I was so fascinated by this console because 1. The games and colors looked way more advanced than the VCS games even before there was a Colecovision out.. What was up with that? 2. Apparently you could program your own games in it. and 3. I had never seen one except in magazines.

To this day that remains true. I have never touched or even ever seen in my 47 year old life, a Bally Astrocade. :lol:

You know what has anyone asked Nintendo to put the Virtual boy still on the sale site for 3ds? Not saying that's a good idea but i bet there would be some takers. I feel this has been done though but since the console is already 3d would that make sense?

A lot of people have asked, but they haven't done it yet. It seems like kind of a no-brainer porting Virtual Boy games to the 3DS since both systems use stereoscopic 3D, and personally I'd love to have a compilation of Virtual Boy games that I could play on the 3DS. That'd definitely be a day one purchase for me!

But alas, Nintendo still hasn't released any Virtual Boy games for the 3DS so for now I'm just going to enjoy playing Game Boy games in Virtual Boy style with my custom Game Boy Pocket. Not quite the same as getting new Virtual Boy games, but I love the Game Boy and it's game library so I'm still really excited to have a new way to play those games that does homage to one of Nintendo's neatest ill fated systems. :)

• Like 2

I've never owned an Intellivision, and I would love one. I had a friend in high school that had one, and he was always showing me his games, but never did he let me play.

I have played a few games in emulation, and I really like AD&D: Cloudy Mountain. That's a fun game.

@Jin @Professor Gull:

I too thought VB would be a natural fit for 3DS VC, and you could even switch between red or grayscale from a menu. However I believe Nintendo like to pretend that Virtual Boy doesn't exist, and also they have avoided putting out titles that rely on 3D since the launch of the 2DS.

If the NX or handheld successor brings 3DS backwards compatibility, it will likely be 2DS style screen only, both screens together on a 2D display. The 2DS is actually one large touch screen displaying both screens together.

Vectrex..Vectrex, Vectrex..I have a few re-sellers the will call me if certain things come in, one came in but before I could get to his shop....someone walked into his place, saw it and immediately bought it for more than I was willing to..ughh. I didn't even get to see it.

Waiting to get into Turbo-Duo/PC Engine Duo,until next year when I can afford one fully modded, recapped etc.

Great topic! I have recently picked up two of my most-wanted consoles, the Fairchild Channel F and the Vectrex, so I'm feeling pretty satiated at the moment. However, while I don't *need* them, I've been pretty strongly tempted by the Bally Astrocade, the Sega Master System, and the Dreamcast. I just don't really have the space, since most of my collection is computer-based. The Astrocade is just a bit too fragile for me, I don't need the SMS since I have a Genesis with Everdrive (but it's just such a great-looking system!), and the Dreamcast is a little modern for my collecting bug (but it's so great!). I'm sort of mildly drawn to systems like the 3DO, but ultimately I don't have much nostalgia for those.

My current consoles:

Fairchild Channel F (System II) - multicart on the way

Atari VCS - with Harmony flashcart

Vectrex - with Richard F. flashcart

Colecovision (well, the Coleco Adam) - with Atarimax flashcart

Nintendo NES - with Everdrive flashcart

Sega Genesis (first gen) - with Everdrive flashcart

XBox (first gen)

XBox 360

Nintendo Wii

Xbox One

No, no Playstations.