IGNORED

What was the best ColecoVision Original game?

HawkMines

There are many arcade titles for the ColecoVision, as they defined the market at the time. Coleco did release some original games, though they are few and far between. I'm looking for which of these is the best for the ColecoVision.

The only original game I have played for the CV is Smurf Rescue, which I think is just okay. I'd like to see your thoughts on the original games.

There are many arcade titles for the ColecoVision, as they defined the market at the time. Coleco did release some original games, though they are few and far between. I'm looking for which of these is the best for the ColecoVision.

The only original game I have played for the CV is Smurf Rescue, which I think is just okay. I'd like to see your thoughts on the original games.

Do you mean original games or homebrews included? And just games by Coleco or any publisher? Assuming you mean original games made for the system by any publisher, my probably not complete list of the best "Original, non-arcade conversions but not entirely exclusive to the ColecoVision" in no real order would be:

- BC's Quest For Tires I & II

- Cabbage Patch Kids

- Gateway to Apshai

- Jumpman Jr.

- Keystone Kapers

- Montezooma's Revenge

- Oil's Well

- Rock N Bolt

- Smurf Rescue

- Tarzan

- Threshold

- War Games

If you're looking for "original games exclusive to the ColecoVision only" your choices are very few. Even Cabbage Patch Kids existed on other platforms in slightly different formats and there was a Commodore 64 version of Wargames. You'll have to start looking to the homebrewers for decent "original" games exclusive to the ColecoVision.

• Like 2

Do you mean original games or homebrews included? And just games by Coleco or any publisher? Assuming you mean original games made for the system by any publisher, my probably not complete list of the best "Original, non-arcade conversions but not entirely exclusive to the ColecoVision" in no real order would be:

- Cabbage Patch Kids

- Gateway to Apshai

- Jumpman Jr.

- Keystone Kapers

- Montezooma's Revenge

- Oil's Well

- Rock N Bolt

- Smurf Rescue

- Tarzan

- Threshold

- War Games

If you're looking for "original games exclusive to the ColecoVision only" your choices are very few. Even Cabbage Patch Kids existed on other platforms in slightly different formats and there was a Commodore 64 version of Wargames. You'll have to start looking to the homebrewers for decent "original" games exclusive to the ColecoVision.

From that list, Oil's Well would get my vote (one of my favorite video games ever). Gateway to Apshai, Smurf, War Games and Threshold were also good. Although I enjoyed War Games (Greetings, Professor Falken), I never cared for War Room.

How about great games that originated on the ColecoVision, and were so good they got ported to other systems? Was Cabbage Patch Kids one of those? Many of the other titles in the list above seem like they were simultaneously or even previously released on e.g. home computers.

Do you mean original games or homebrews included? And just games by Coleco or any publisher?

Non-Arcade Conversions, and not just Coleco either, but all publishers.

I wouldn't be suprised. Though now that you mention it that would be interesting.

I would second that. Smurf is my go to game and unique to the coleco. And it really sold the system as smurfs was hot at that time. It think it has a real sense of atmosphere.

I would rank Rocky pretty high too.

Smurf Rescue would be the first one to come to mind.

Smurf Rescue showed that distinct, recognizable cartoon characters could be done as opposed to stick pixel characters

Tarzan was original, took the randomized screen generation of Smurf and added more action and paths of travel.

Cabbage Patch - Pitfall style action with catchy music and great character graphics.

Fortune Builder-Precursor to Sim City style real-time strategy games.

War Games-Fun strategy game with action elements that used the keypad to good effect.

Coleco Cabbage Patch Kids and the MSX version of it + MSX Athletic Land always puzzled me.

It is not clear which one is the clone and which one the original.

It seems that the MSX version of Cabbage Patch Kids is from 83 but MSX Athletic Land and the Cabbage Patch Kids for Coleco are both 84.

Funny thing is that MSX Athletic Land and Coleco Cabbage Patch Kids are very close, it looks mainly a main sprite change, while MSX Cabbage Patch Kids allows main character editing as well as having different backgrounds .... so confusing.

I always liked:

- Super Cobra

- Montezuma's Revenge

- Miner 2049er

- Q*Bert

- River Raid

- Spy Hunter

- Space Panic

None of those are "original" as per the thread topic, they are all arcade ports except for Miner 2049er which is a port from 8bit.

Thought the thread was for original ColecoVision games -- i.e. released when the CV was still in production as opposed to ones released after it was discontinued.

None of those are "original" as per the thread topic, they are all arcade ports except for Miner 2049er which is a port from 8bit.

Ah, I feel silly now. I had thought "original" indicated "original releases". Just wasn't reading the first post very carefully!

In this case, I would say Destructor takes the cake. Such a fun original game, and I love using the Steering Wheel with this one! The music and concept is truly original. The game can get a bit repetitive, but I love the "fun of discovery".

Ah, I feel silly now. I had thought "original" indicated "original releases". Just wasn't reading the first post very carefully!

In this case, I would say Destructor takes the cake. Such a fun original game, and I love using the Steering Wheel with this one! The music and concept is truly original. The game can get a bit repetitive, but I love the "fun of discovery".

Destructor is a deeply flawed game, when you stop to think about it: Unless you did what I did (i.e. hunt for Destructor eggs, which was kind of fun) there was absolutely no incentive to drive very far away from your home base. Just drive around a little bit and you could find a spot not far from the base where Krystaloids appeared, then you could just go back and forth between that spot and the base, and never bother to explore the rest of the map, unless you insisted on finding a teleport pad just to taunt Destructor.

Was "2010 - The Graphic Action Game" ever released on other consoles/computers? My post about this game earlier in this thread seems to have been completely ignored, for some reason... :?

Thought the thread was for original ColecoVision games -- i.e. released when the CV was still in production as opposed to ones released after it was discontinued.

that is what the title implies but if you read his first post then he is talking originally produced by coleco. No sure what it matters to limit it so much since there were not a lot.

Destructor is a deeply flawed game, when you stop to think about it: Unless you did what I did (i.e. hunt for Destructor eggs, which was kind of fun) there was absolutely no incentive to drive very far away from your home base. Just drive around a little bit and you could find a spot not far from the base where Krystaloids appeared, then you could just go back and forth between that spot and the base, and never bother to explore the rest of the map, unless you insisted on finding a teleport pad just to taunt Destructor.

Was "2010 - The Graphic Action Game" ever released on other consoles/computers? My post about this game earlier in this thread seems to have been completely ignored, for some reason... :?

Because you are the only one that liked 2010. ;) Just kidding, I still have not managed to try this game out yet.

Maybe we are ignoring you...some of us are mad at you because of all the games that we now have to play for the first time this weekend because an SGM showed up in the mail... ;) :-D :thumbsup:

I don't think I'm ever stumbled upon any reference to 2010 being ported to any other system, unlike Tarzan for the 8 bit or War Games for the 8bit/C64. It would seem to be an obvious candidate to me. Same with the 2010:The Text Adventure.