IGNORED

A new Commodore 64 computer and gaming handheld are coming via Indiegogo

They are using an AllWinner SOC... this is a software emulated C64. Why in the hell would anyone contribute to this? Do people not know? If you are going to go this route get a Raspberry Pi 3 and do the same thing....or use a cheap Chinese tablet (you with find AllWinners all day long in these) and use an emulator. What a joke. I know people are going to fall for this, but I really hope at least nobody here does.

• Like 3

...So while we're on the topic of a software emulated C64, does anyone have anything positive to say about the Cloanto C64 Forever package? I mean, I get it that it's just a re-packaged VICE emulator with some pre-packaged software titles and a convenient front-end, but I think their $14.95 asking price isn't outrageous for the added convenience. I'm also curious about their offerings for the Amiga, where it looks like they have the most pain-free path towards getting an Amiga experience up and running.

...So while we're on the topic of a software emulated C64, does anyone have anything positive to say about the Cloanto C64 Forever package? I mean, I get it that it's just a re-packaged VICE emulator with some pre-packaged software titles and a convenient front-end, but I think their $14.95 asking price isn't outrageous for the added convenience. I'm also curious about their offerings for the Amiga, where it looks like they have the most pain-free path towards getting an Amiga experience up and running.

I've been a supporter for many years of both packages. It's plug and play emulation with lots of licensed titles, and, obviously, the ability to add your own stuff. It streamlines a lot of the usual headaches with free emulators, so it's definitely worth the modest asking price if you have interest in those platforms and want to minimize some of the usual effort.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Additionally the Cloanto packages contains legally licensed kernal/bios/basic ROMs for the C64/Amiga, so you are not a pirate anymore when running the the C64/Amiga emulators.

This may be of interest with regard to THE64 project and one of the lead guys behind it.

It is an interview and delivered via a Podcast that was done by Sceneworld about 9 months ago...

Darren Melbourne, creator of the C64 DTV, is trying to bring the C64 back with THE 64, a re-imagining of the Commodore 64 in both console and hand-held form.

AJ and Joerg talk to him about this new project, and how his history has led to what he’s doing now.

Podcast Episode #22 - THE 64 with Darren Melbourne

https://www.mixcloud.com/sceneworldthec64ntscpaldiskmag/podcast-episode-22-the-64-with-darren-melbourne/

I'm currently in a fit of raiding the tombs of projects i kept an eye out for in the last years, looking for clues to what happened to them and stumbled back into this, and i can only say that i wasn't totally off last year when i criticized them for not having a clear idea of what exactly they were developing when funding had started.

11 days ago they pushed out an update with pictures of their CAD prototypes for the shell and discussed where to put their ports so they could finalize their mainboard design. That must mean that all the flashy prototype cases they have been waving around in the pictures the last year are so wrong and failed that they needed almost a year to redesign it to look the same.

Oh and yes, as said that they plan another 3 Retro-themed systems to be announced in 2017 i can only guess that they are raiding every possible old crypt for IP's and systems to snatch them from under the noses of their apparent arch-enemies over at Retro Computers who are by far the best authors on the planet of "We are sorry for the Vega+ delay" by now.

• 6 months later...

Apparently it is now called "THE C64".

And there are now 3 products coming out it seems.

1. The Mini - which is like the NES/SNES Minis with preloaded games

2. The "Full-size" version
3. The handheld

It seems that they have shifted focus and are going to release the Mini first due to retailer demand.

Personnaly I am not interested in the Mini or the handheld, but very interested in the fullsize.
I am definately the target group for that one; the average Joe-gamer who could not repair his original hardware to save his life...

Not gonna pre-order, but if it hits the shelves I am there! :)

Edited by NumbThumb
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While I'm not really amazed by the product, at least they seem to be close to delivering something plus that somehow they have obtained licensing to use parts of the Commodore brand which is impressive in itself, given how the previous owner of the brand seemed to be more interested in sending out C&D letters than seeking cooperation and licensing to independent manufacturers developing something that would benefit both parties from bearing the Commodore mark.

I see that reviewers of the AtGames Sega Genesis Mini HD device are nagging about the list of included games, that it still has a good deal of shovelware and even the genuine Genesis games don't represent the entire library of bestsellers. I can't wait to read what reviewers of the C64 Mini will think when they compare the list of included games to what overall gamers would expect from a such device. While only a few games seem to be really meh based on Lemon64 scores, few of them are must-haves.

Edited by carlsson

The up-side of the AtGames Sega Genesis Flashback, if the emulator can hold up, is the ability to run Genesis cartridges and use original controllers (except, apparently, for the 3-button controllers.) The previous unit could run most cartridges, and the remote controllers really are not so bad, Firecore sucks or sucked as an emulator and could not run some of my favorite games well, some not at all. Skitchin', by far one of my favorites, has all sorts of sprite and graphic glitches.

Well, the HDMI video is nice, too. Up-scaling old game consoles is a special kind of voodoo. Since I have both a first- and second-generation Genesis I do not need one for myself, but I cannot deny a little curiosity. Mostly I just want to see if they get it right.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the link to THE 64 and THE 64SX project: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-64-computer-and-handheld-console#/

I posted my full thoughts over at Armchair Arcade: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2016/04/14/news-new-commodore-64-coming-healthy-dose-skepticism/

Needless to say, it's not a good thing when Retro VGS/Coleco Chameleon are mentioned in a blog post.

This looks amazing. WOW!

• 1 month later...

So they are just using an ARM SoC with an emulator. I use my old motorola cellphone with Frodo and it's a pretty good portable C64. Anyway why is it taking them over a year and half when they had working "firmware" in Aug 2017 ? I'd still buy the handheld when it's liquidated and under $50. I don't expect any real products shipping though.

• 1 month later...

Am I understanding correctly that the keyboard buttons on the "Mini" aren't actually functional? Rather, you need to plug a PC keyboard into the USB port? If that's the case, I don't see any advantage of this over buying a Cloanto "C64 Forever" license... ...In fact, with the software, it's one less thing to "plug in" to my HDMI TV.

• Like 1