IGNORED

A new Commodore 64 computer and gaming handheld are coming via Indiegogo

Am I understanding correctly that the keyboard buttons on the "Mini" aren't actually functional? Rather, you need to plug a PC keyboard into the USB port? If that's the case, I don't see any advantage of this over buying a Cloanto "C64 Forever" license... ...In fact, with the software, it's one less thing to "plug in" to my HDMI TV.

How could they be functional? It's only a little bigger across than a large cell phone. It's just a cosmetic design. They're coming out with a full-sized, fuller function model at some point that will have a functional keyboard.

C64 Forever is a great product, but it's not really the same type of thing as this. Some people just want a little plug and play device with an interesting look to it. This fits that desire at a reasonable price. While it's not for me, I can definitely see the appeal.

• Like 1

Save some money, get a Pi3 and use combian:

https://cmaiolino.wordpress.com/combian-64-v2/

And then print yourself a case:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1954782

You will end up with a cute tiny C64 that can do almost everything the real thing can do...and you will have Vic, Pet, etc to boot.

Exhibit A, the classic "Pi" post when anything like this is being sold.

• Like 2

Well, I am not sure I can compare this scenario to iTunes and sound rippers, but I can say that if they see nothing wrong with using an all winner soc and emulation I see nothing wrong with using a Pi and emulation and making it myself. Their product will be great for people who do not know any better.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

I would like to say that Allwinner SoC and R-Pi are good entry-level devices for emulation. But I can't. Unlike other things, you don't want anything "entry-level" when it comes to emulation. Anything "entry-level" is going to be a suboptimal, frustrating, and tedious experience. You want something deluxe from the get go.

Entry-level, in emulation, is better referred to as starting out with one or two emulators and then adding more. As you gain appreciation and experience you add more. You might even connect them with virtual networking tools, or build bartop, or partake in dozens of other emulation related activities.

But always remember, you're starting with respectable hardware, not something that comes out of gumball machines!

Well, I am not sure I can compare this scenario to iTunes and sound rippers, but I can say that if they see nothing wrong with using an all winner soc and emulation I see nothing wrong with using a Pi and emulation and making it myself. Their product will be great for people who do not know any better.

It's not necessarily even for people who don't know any better. Certainly most people on here "know better," but many still don't want to be bothered doing it themselves. I know I'm in one or the other camp depending upon mood. Certainly I appreciate someone - or some company - doing the dirty work and then packaging it all up in a nice case. There's something to be said for plug and play.

I've built my own Raspberry Pi table top arcade machine, and, while I liked the experience overall, I certainly can't say I enjoyed the configuration or was able to make it quite as slick software-wise as I would have liked. That's why I appreciate devices like the Retro Freak or the upcoming Dreamcade Replay. While this mini C64 is not for me for various reasons, I can certainly understand the appeal versus a "better" roll-your-own solution.

• Like 1

Perhaps it is also a product for the few who once in a while entertain the idea of respecting old but still active copyrights. I can't say I'm particularly good in that respect myself, as I download cracked versions of whatever I need at the moment, but then again I never donate money to charity neither so I know I'm a bad person relying on others in the society to be more of role models.

I'll admit that I don't know where those pennies in license fees end up, perhaps Andrew Braybrook, Peter Liepa, Shaun Sothern and all the others I can't name without looking them up will spend it on beer and potato chips (or worse) and in that case they probably were better off without earning beer money for 30 year old software, which they won't from your DIY Raspberry Pi solution.

Perhaps it is also a product for the few who once in a while entertain the idea of respecting old but still active copyrights. I can't say I'm particularly good in that respect myself, as I download cracked versions of whatever I need at the moment, but then again I never donate money to charity neither so I know I'm a bad person relying on others in the society to be more of role models.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure society is likely benefiting off of you in some way.. There you go..

I'll admit that I don't know where those pennies in license fees end up, perhaps Andrew Braybrook, Peter Liepa, Shaun Sothern and all the others I can't name without looking them up will spend it on beer and potato chips (or worse) and in that case they probably were better off without earning beer money for 30 year old software, which they won't from your DIY Raspberry Pi solution.

Who knows? Who cares..

I would like to say that Allwinner SoC and R-Pi are good entry-level devices for emulation. But I can't. Unlike other things, you don't want anything "entry-level" when it comes to emulation. Anything "entry-level" is going to be a suboptimal, frustrating, and tedious experience. You want something deluxe from the get go.

I can't tell if you're trying to be for or against TheC64, as it is an Allwinner SoC emulation device. What counts as "deluxe", the FPGA/ASIC clones?

I can't tell if you're trying to be for or against TheC64, as it is an Allwinner SoC emulation device. What counts as "deluxe", the FPGA/ASIC clones?

My old motorola phone makes a pretty good C64 portable. Frodo works great, free and I can cast to a new TV. It's a nice old piece of hardware put to good use. I have no need to for an ASIC C64 in a plastic printed case unless the price was dirt cheap around $30. Then it would just be a cool tchotchke on my desk.

Edited by thetick1

All these SoCs are entry-level devices. They are ok for casual usage. And if one is in TheC64, then so be it. Not really for or against them. Just that people getting into emulation seem to want more sophisticated stuff soon enough. ASIC clones are a step below SoC. ASIC clones always seem to have a lot of subtle issues. They're more like approximations and not real clones.

Then there's the bux deluxe stuff like FPGA or a hi-powered x86 rig. The true emulation enthusiast will end up here.

What bothers me most about The64 project is that the retail space is getting the item sooner than those who backed it.

What retail stores are going to carry them? I have not seen anything mentioned about the USA distribution, except preorder on Amazon, but they do not exist on the US Amazon. It would be nice to go into a Target or some big store and see it on the shelf.

What retail stores are going to carry them? I have not seen anything mentioned about the USA distribution, except preorder on Amazon, but they do not exist on the US Amazon. It would be nice to go into a Target or some big store and see it on the shelf.

US distribution is still being discussed.