IGNORED

A new Commodore 64 computer and gaming handheld are coming via Indiegogo

Actually a number of Swedish vendors have advertised THEC64 Mini to be launched in the end of March too, so it might be all over Europe. I was surprised how many major home electronics vendors have adopted this product into their offerings, it is just as common as the AtGames devices and nearly as common as the Nintendo devices.

Thanks guys for the clarification. I thought since they were talking globally when this whole thing began, they were going for global from the get go. But apparently I was wrong. Hopefully they get that sorted out because I have no doubt they will sell a ton of these devices in the USA. Nintendo cannot keep SNES minis on the store shelves.

• 2 months later...

THEC64 just posted on Facebook:

We are pleased to confirm that we anticipate by the end of May 2018, we will be able to confirm who our extended USA distribution partner for THEC64 mini will be. Once this can be announced, we will of course, also provide details to all the many people (asking us daily!), where can they get a THEC64 mini in the USA, and indicate retailers and pre-order opportunities. In the meantime we are working on a few hardware tweaks for the USA market as well. So it’s coming as promised, and we will confirm details ASAP!

Further to that, we have been having recent meetings with SIGNIFICANT IP owners whose content you can look forward to seeing on, (or on versions of) THEC64 mini in the not too distant future! No spoilers just yet, but we think you will be as excited as we are when you all know what’s coming!

Like or dislike if you wish, but I'm slowly getting more confidence in this team, though of course you need to filter facts from propaganda. I would imagine that significant IP owners may include Atari and all rights they hold plus perhaps Activision who have worked with AtGames. Not so sure about EA. Since they already got Epyx games, perhaps they're extending to System 3 titles which would make quite a difference on possible content for them to include or offer separately.

• Like 1

Unless I'm mistaken, Atari SA should have the rights to (some) games from Microprose, Firebird, Ocean and possibly others that Infogrames once acquired. Obviously it could be a minefield who really has rights to a particular game even if they would own the rights to the brands themselves. Ocean did a lot of movie tie-ins which usually come with complex licenses so I'm not expecting THEC64 to support games like Batman etc.

Edited by carlsson

• 1 month later...

Right...but a full sized version of what? The Mini? Or the "recreated computer"? So vague...but then their initial pitch was vague as hell too, with "no fixed specification".

I suppose it'll be just the Mini-guts with keyboard added. Emulated c64...wonder what emu are they using?

Hmmpff.. I don't see the point here. Might as well just spend the money toward a small intel NUC or even SAVE your money and use your existing PC! Either way you'll get a much better experience and enjoy other Commodore and non-Commodore machines, and YOU WILL FART AROUND LESS with keyboards and controllers.

And you'll be able to update VICE as new versions come out, about once a year.

I didn't know about this one. I think it's possible to run a C64 in MIST, but nice to see there's a dedicated FPGA project by an experienced modder.

Next is a bit different beast though: also faithful FPGA recreation but with extra modes added. Plus, it's also plug'n play and has a lovely modern design, not a bare-metal board for the hardcore tweakers. It did quite well, so I believe similar C64 could do even better, what with much larger original user base.

In that case, I think you are looking for the old C64DTV with its extra DTV mode. Supposedly RGL for a short time considered re-licensing that project, but they found it didn't meet their demands and for that matter, software based emulation might be just as good and cheaper than hardware based emulation (*) in form of FPGA.

There is also the Mega 65 project, which are looking to replicate the infamous Commodore 65 in one or many editions. However a Commodore 65 is not strictly a Commodore 64 with some extras added, actually I've read the C65 was somewhat poor at running C64 software in the last known state.

(*) Yes, I am one of the crowd who consider FPGA emulation, even if it replicates function down to grind level. However I don't think emulation is worse than the technology it emulates, as the idea is to get functionality as close as possible to the original, and in the case of FPGA solutions might render chips or boards that can be used as in-place replacements of failing chips.

(*) Yes, I am one of the crowd who consider FPGA emulation, even if it replicates function down to grind level. However I don't think emulation is worse than the technology it emulates, as the idea is to get functionality as close as possible to the original, and in the case of FPGA solutions might render chips or boards that can be used as in-place replacements of failing chips.

Watch out! Dem's fightin' words! ;)