IGNORED

Formula 18A / Formula 99 / Formula 99+ development

Asmusr

In the latest version (see video above) I have moved the project from disk to a 256K cart. The extra space allows me to store a road with a better perspective because I have more room for colors, and it also allows enough free space on both sides of the road so it doesn't wrap around when you take a sharp turn. The road image now takes up a full 128K: one 8K ROM bank for each row of 8 pixels x 2 because there are two different sets of colors (for the stripes). The code is residing in the other 128K ROM, but only a small fraction is actually used. There's a lot of redundancy, and a SAMS version would definitely be an option.

Other improvements include a smaller car (2 sprites instead of 8 ), the signs at the side of the road, and a bit of sound.

LASooner: The track is stored as segments, each with a certain curvature, like a toy race track. The current track consists of 20 segments, each taking up 2 bytes. I need to make a tool for drawing the road in 2D in order to see what it actually looks like.

formula18a-8.bin

formula18a.rpk

• Like 4

The cart image currently only has a header in bank 0, which is why it doesn't work in Classic99, I guess. I will post a fixed version later.

I just spent the time running in classic99... after loading... open the debugger, enter C6000=00 and answer NO to overriding the rom.. and it will bank switch...

---

And, uh..., Awesome! It is still Formula 1 season you know :)

-M@

Asmusr, on 12 Sept 2016 - 9:27 PM, said:

The cart image currently only has a header in bank 0, which is why it doesn't work in Classic99, I guess. I will post a fixed version later.

Remember that unless your cart has a reset circuit, you can't guarantee the startup bank. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new version with some other cars, just race fast enough and you should catch them. Still no collision detection.

I need to look into improving the steering of the car...

I turned this into a 512K image so I could use it in one of my cartridges... I was kind of glad collision detection was not active yet... because I was hitting cars right and left. This looks like it's going to be harder than Pole Position.

I turned this into a 512K image so I could use it in one of my cartridges... I was kind of glad collision detection was not active yet... because I was hitting cars right and left. This looks like it's going to be harder than Pole Position.

Your new avatar is really annoying, I keep thinking there's something wrong with my internet connection. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wellll... may I point you at the following two threads, since I did try something in this genre as well some years ago... but I didn't go as far as writing it completely in Assembler:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/159225-ssgc-racer/(Original XB version)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/206961-xb-compiler-v21/(compiled version)

It's a very overlooked genre on the 4A, sadly.

• Like 1