IGNORED

Atari 7800 Rewritable Multigame Cartridge

vectrexroli

I just wanted to share some photos with you of the 3D printed case I got today for my Mateos burner device. The Burner fits in nicely, at least the later version I got, I also put some thin plastic foil in there so that it does not mover around. the burner in the case also works with my other Mateos carts for the Vectrex and the Atari Lynx. As expected I cannot use the burner in the case on my Mateos Videopac cart, because there is not much space left there, but of course it would work on a Videopac cart without a case. You can get the 3D printed case from the AtariAge forum member c0d3m4st4, or you can get it also from eBay or also from the Mateos Web page.

post-26204-0-49609700-1469631913_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-59306500-1469631919_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-13847100-1469631928_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-61468100-1469631935_thumb.jpg

post-26204-0-39395700-1469631942_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

So, you upload a binary with extension name changed to the cartridge and then safely eject. Then the next time you want to upload a binary to that same slot, will windows show the previously burned binary or will the folder always appear blank?

Edited by SIO2

So, you upload a binary with extension name changed to the cartridge and then safely eject. Then the next time you want to upload a binary to that same slot, will windows show the previously burned binary or will the folder always appear blank?

the folder will always appear blank...

so always double check you've selected the bank you actually want to overwrite :)

• Like 1

I just wanted to share some photos with you of the 3D printed case I got today for my Mateos burner device. The Burner fits in nicely, at least the later version I got, I also put some thin plastic foil in there so that it does not mover around. the burner in the case also works with my other Mateos carts for the Vectrex and the Atari Lynx. As expected I cannot use the burner in the case on my Mateos Videopac cart, because there is not much space left there, but of course it would work on a Videopac cart without a case. You can get the 3D printed case from the AtariAge forum member c0d3m4st4, or you can get it also from eBay or also from the Mateos Web page.

Do you have the 3D cad file available for this to share? I want to try something really fun =)

• 4 weeks later...

To assist current and future owners of Mateos' multigame cartridge, attached are all the original 7800 retail games, plus publicly released prototypes and color demo, separated by their respective NTSC/PAL video region, properly formatted with their necessary extension assignment per the guidelines found in the link from this post.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=06834616704390068383

Just click on the file name you will see as such in the above link:

post-18-0-66879200-1472608341.png

• Like 6

Hello to everybody... I am now back from my holidays :)

Dear grips03,

That error probably means that your MacOS operating system is creating hidden folders in the atari 7800 card.

I have included some information in the FAQ page of my website to solve this issue (pasted below).

Is MVBD compatible with Mac OS?

Yes. Neverthless, Mac OS file system includes additional information (i.e. icon bitmap) in every file, even the rom files stored in your computer. This additional information could be transferred to the rewritable cartridge when you copy the file using the Finder and, as the console cannot understand it, the ROM will not work.

Besides, Mac OS creates hidden folders than can also fool the burner.

To show all the hidden folders in the Finder use the following command:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

To remove hidden folder use the following command:

rm - rf [and drag the folder from the Finder to the terminal window]

Once the burner drive is completely empty, copy only the data of the rom file, without the additional resource information included by Mac OS, using the following ditto sintax in the terminal:

ditto --norsrc --noextattr --noacl --noqtn src_file dst_file

For example:

ditto --norsrc --noextattr --noacl --noqtn "/Volumes/NO NAME/jimmy512.lnx" "/Volumes/Drive_Name"

Please, let me know whether this solves that problem.

Never tried that as my iMac has VMWare WinXP and Win7.
Even though I already have the iMac showing all invisible files, that's just too much, unless I had no other option.

It is a shame Mac and others (Win 10?) copy the invisibles first. Had they copy invisibles last, the big file would be there, and even throwing errors it would probably work.

You should get (or ask for someone to program) a GUI that you can select the Cart's drive, the File to copy and then have the GUI Program remove any invisibles, copy the game, and eject the media.
In this case I would like to see the "Are you sure?" to check again everything is correct as deleting invisible files in the wrong place may be bad.
There is scripting that could do all those steps and questions, but scripts aren't as nice as a GUI Program.

Hello to everybody... I am now back from my holidays :)
Dear grips03,
That error probably means that your MacOS operating system is creating hidden folders in the atari 7800 card.

I have included some information in the FAQ page of my website to solve this issue (pasted below).

Please, let me know whether this solves that problem.

Edited by iesposta

• 2 weeks later...

Well..I received mine today in the mail and I've not been able to get any roms to copy over at all. I was able to use the two pre copied roms and they work in slots B and C for some reason on mine, so I know the cart works. But every rom I try to copy over just says I don't have enough space unless the rom is a 32k.

And...the drive shows up with nearly half the space already used but shows nothing in it. So I'm not sure if there is a way to clean out the slots before hand as the drive reports only so much free space left (Usually less than half the 128k).

Yes this is in windows 10 as that I've totally got rid of XP more than 2 years ago so I haven't a way to load up XP these days.

any thoughts on this one?

Dear crosbow,

The preloaded roms from slot 0 to A are PAL, and the roms on slots B and C are NTSC.

Probably, your Windows 10 is saving hidden folders/files in the drive. To disable this behaviour you can follow one of the following procedures (copied from the FAQ section of my website vectrex.hackermesh.org):

There is a workaround explained in this thread of a Microsoft forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/how-do-i-prevent-system-volume-information-files/815b0046-d631-4419-a43e-44083a3733f5?page=2

If you are using the home editions of Windows 8/10, that do not include gpedit, you can use the regedit alternative explained in the second part of this article: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-system-volume-information-folder-usb

Please, let me know whether this solves the issue.

• Like 2

Juan,

I actually did both items you listed above. I had already done the first one in a previous attempt on something similar and that didn't seem to take care of the issue. But the registry process definitely took care of. Now when I connect up the cart I don't see half the space being taken up by something already. It is totally empty space.

Now...another more interesting issue that I've managed to replicate.

I copied over the corrected rom of Impossible Mission that is actually possible to beat. I kept the cart in 144k mode as I have DK Pokey and a few other things. I know that you have to give up two slots in that mode. So I have Impossible Mission Fixed copied over to Slot 0. I then have DK Pokey copied in Slot 2. and I advanced them two at a time. Everything was golden...but I noticed that once I had fired up and play through the roms I have in all the slots, that suddenly whatever I have in Slot 0 not longer seems to work anymore?

So to follow along, I have roms of various sizes loaded up with the cart in 144k mode. So instead of stuff in slot 0, slot 1, slot 2..etc. I have stuff copied over into Slot 0, Slot 2, Slot 4, Slot 6...etc.

I play a rom from Slot 0 and everything works fine. Switch to slot 2...play and good to go.. Slot 4...good. etc...etc. Once I get back to Slot 0, I only get the 7800 bios loader and a black screen. However, all the other slots still appear to work fine. I can reburn a rom back into slot 0 and it will work. But again if I go back through and play through the other slots and come back to 0....nothing.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

I've got the v3.0 rewritable cart it doesn't seem to fit in the 7800 cart case so I had to cut out the top part of cart case and I've pulled the pokey chip from a dead 5200 this makes for heavy cart. I hope to find time to try out my rewritable cart!

I ended up having to massively dremel out a cart in the exact same fashion as you did. I was really really hoping that I wouldn't have to cut out the top half like that but no dice. However, in looking over the cart I think you can dremel out some of the center studs on both halves of the cart down a bit and then only dremel out a line through the cart for the lower solder pins on the daughter card. This was the route I was originally trying to go for, but just couldn't quite get enough clearance for the attached daughter card to still snap the two halves together snugly without stressing the cart shells or cartridge itself. Too bad as if that were possible, you could hide the line you cut through the shell for the lower pins using a full size label for the cartridge. If I'm board and feel like destroying another 7800 cart I might try for that again at a later date. For now this works to keep it steady and not risk snapping the cartridge when inserting into the console for use or when pulling the burner on and off the end of it.

Anyone have a solution for a knob that can be attached to the bank selector switch? It can be a might bit tough to turn with the small amount of clearance between it, the attached daughter board and being inside a cart shell.

Still this is a really fun and excellent product and if you can't quite wait for a more compatible SD card this is a wonderful solution in the mean time!

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

Dear crosbow,

When you write a >144kb game it takes 2 slot, but not consecutive ones.

If you write a 144kb game in slot 0, it will take slots 0 and 8.

If you write a 144kb game in slot 1, it will take slots 1 and 9.

If you write a 144kb game in slot 2, it will take slots 2 and A.

If you write a 144kb game in slot 3, it will take slots 3 and B.

If you write a 144kb game in slot 7, it will take slots 7 and F.

• Like 1

Dear crosbow,

When you write a >144kb game it takes 2 slot, but not consecutive ones.

If you write a 144kb game in slot 0, it will take slots 0 and 8.

If you write a 144kb game in slot 1, it will take slots 1 and 9.

If you write a 144kb game in slot 2, it will take slots 2 and A.

If you write a 144kb game in slot 3, it will take slots 3 and B.

If you write a 144kb game in slot 7, it will take slots 7 and F.

Well,

I feel sheepish. That explains quite a bit. Amazing that any of the roms work then compared to how I've been doing them in 144k mode. So essentially, there isn't a need to skip two. You just burn in slot 0, slot 1, slot 2, slot 3. slot 4. slot 5 and 6..up to 7 and the rest are mapped opposite them. I will give that try when I get home and see how it works in regards to my issues I mentioned about slot 0.

Thanks again for such a fun product to work with and your quick replies to questions and answers!