IGNORED

Atari 7800 Rewritable Multigame Cartridge

vectrexroli

i ordered my Pokey chip from this guy on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/272389556860
the buy it now price is £11.99 (with free postage) but he accepted my offer of £10 (still with free postage)...
not sure what that translates to in other currencies, but pretty sure you can work it out...
he posts worldwide (he's in the Czech Republic)
i can vouch for his chips working perfectly, i simply dropped it into the socket on the mateos card and was playing ballblazer within seconds
(the pokey version of the pacman collection is wonderful btw, worth buying the chip just for that)

HTH

• Like 2

i ordered my Pokey chip from this guy on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/272389556860

the buy it now price is £11.99 (with free postage) but he accepted my offer of £10 (still with free postage)...

not sure what that translates to in other currencies, but pretty sure you can work it out...

he posts worldwide (he's in the Czech Republic)

i can vouch for his chips working perfectly, i simply dropped it into the socket on the mateos card and was playing ballblazer within seconds

(the pokey version of the pacman collection is wonderful btw, worth buying the chip just for that)

HTH

He declined the my offer of $10.00. lol

I guess I am paying full price.

to be fair, $10 isn't the same as £10 (not yet anyway, although it's creeping that way after the whole brexit fuckup)

It was £10. I just forgot to change they type of currency in my post. I'll still get it anyway. I just got a reply from Mateo on my order so I will send him from money and get the ball rolling.

Edited by groundtrooper

still totally worth the £12 for the Pokey... it's just that i always take advantage of the "make an offer" button when i see one, i saved £2 on a 32x golf game earlier today cos it had one... why not eh :D

using a new pokey also means one less destroyed ballblazer too, and that's never a bad thing...

• Like 2

Though I hesitate to mention it. Bob Roberts which is whom I go to for many arcade replacement parts, does sell atari Pokey chips. But they are $15 each and that doesn't include shipping. So if you did order a Pokey from him, I'd order some more stuff to make the shipping a bit more worthwhile. Still he ships very quickly and I've always had great service from him.

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/parts.html#atari

He works the old fashioned way. You send him an email explaining what parts you need from his website. Include the shipping address and he will reply with a day or so of the total to include shipping. He does NOT work with PayPal at all...so you have to send him a check or MO. Still as I said he has always provided me with excellent service.

• Like 1

using a new pokey also means one less destroyed ballblazer too, and that's never a bad thing...

I grabbed my pokey from a dead 5200 main board. So if you do have a source for old Atari 8-bit computers that are otherwise scrapped, it is worth looking to see if they have their Pokeys still onboard. While I used a pokey from a dead 5200, I did still use a ballblazer for the cart shell. I just didn't have to take the pokey off the cart.

Though I hesitate to mention it. Bob Roberts which is whom I go to for many arcade replacement parts, does sell atari Pokey chips. But they are $15 each and that doesn't include shipping. So if you did order a Pokey from him, I'd order some more stuff to make the shipping a bit more worthwhile. Still he ships very quickly and I've always had great service from him.

http://www.therealbobroberts.net/parts.html#atari

He works the old fashioned way. You send him an email explaining what parts you need from his website. Include the shipping address and he will reply with a day or so of the total to include shipping. He does NOT work with PayPal at all...so you have to send him a check or MO. Still as I said he has always provided me with excellent service.

I grabbed my pokey from a dead 5200 main board. So if you do have a source for old Atari 8-bit computers that are otherwise scrapped, it is worth looking to see if they have their Pokeys still onboard. While I used a pokey from a dead 5200, I did still use a ballblazer for the cart shell. I just didn't have to take the pokey off the cart.

I don't really need anything else & I don't have any other old 8-Bit stuff laying around. I think I will just use this Czech ebayer. For the price shipped it is still gonna be less than Bob. But I appreciate the info.

My card arrived and as I was checking the roms included (to make sure the cart is working) only two work, Ace of Aces and Choplifter. When checking for others I'll sometimes get the Atari splash screen then various squares. Nothing looks like a game or NTSC/PAL screen rolling.

Is that normal?

I'm going to check the Vectrex cart I ordered.

Dear moonlight, your guess is right: I have made the backpack detachable to better test the cards.

All the pre-burnt roms in slots 0 to 9 are PAL, but slots A and B are NTSC.

I think I found my answer.

New problem, my Windows 10 is adding files so I only have 64kb usable...lovely, aaARRGH!

Edit I've gotten it to 128 usable but nothing booting. Even though I didn't mess with A,B,1 or 2, the two games aren't loading now.

Dear syn,

The preloaded roms in slots 0 to A are PAL, and the games on slots B and C are NTSC.

I guess your Windows is still storing "something" in the card because the available free space should be 256kb.

Please, try the following procedures (copied from the faq section of my website):

Windows 8.1/10 automatically saves a system folder in every USB storage device, included the Mateos cartridges, and this folder confuses the MVBD burner disturbing its proper functioning.

There is a workaround explained in this thread of a Microsoft forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/how-do-i-prevent-system-volume-information-files/815b0046-d631-4419-a43e-44083a3733f5?page=2

If you are using the home editions of Windows 8/10, that do not include gpedit, you can use the regedit alternative explained in the second part of this article: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent-system-volume-information-folder-usb

Please, let me know whether this gets 256kb of available space.

• Like 1

Dear syn,

The preloaded roms in slots 0 to A are PAL, and the games on slots B and C are NTSC.

I guess your Windows is still storing "something" in the card because the available free space should be 256kb.

Please, try the following procedures (copied from the faq section of my website):

Thanks. I just did this on my Win 10 machine so once I get my goods from you I shouldn't have any issues. :thumbsup:

Dear syn,

The regedit route fixed it. A huge thank you for your help!

I have loaded a few games.

WARNING! at least on my windows 10, the regedit fix ended up not working in the end and the next day after a reboot the space was showing stuff in the slots again. It is a pain, but I literally have to open a command prompt window and do the following in all slots before loading roms back into them,:

Open CMD as an administrator

Browse to the drive where the flashcart shows up. On my computer they always show as Drive F.

So.. I do a CD F: to switch to the F: drive.

Do a DIR command and you will see there is appears to be nothing on it. This isn't true. The next command needs to be:

ATRRIB -h -s -r "system volume information"

You will be returned a ready prompt

Now if you do a DIR you will see a folder called System Volume Information

This is the hidden crap that Windows 10 is adding to every drive system that is attached and read from the OS.

Now you have to open that dir from the CMD window still..so..

CD "system volume information"

and now you have to delete the file that is in here so do:

DEL *.* and confirm the prompt...

Now you have to remove the stupid "System Volume Information" folder...

RD "System Volume Information"

and you will be back to the prompt again.

Now you can exit the CMD program window and you will not finally see that the drive of your flash cart is totally empty. And you can now copy over your rom file.

Oh..the quotes are needed too btw. Without those you will get return errors since the old command program isn't smart enough to know what you are looking for without the quotes. This is because the folder doesn't follow the old 8.3 format. If it did, it wouldn't be a problem or if it at least put an underscore instead of a space between the words so it was one large name. But since it doesn't and is stupid...you have to remember to use the quotes.

So yeah...that is LOADS of fun. I'm fixing to make a damn batch file that runs through these commands for me so I don't have to type them each time. And yes I have to do with with every slot on the flash cart every time I plug it in. And no..just unplugging it after copying over the rom doesn't prevent the crap from coming back. Mearly plugging the thing while the OS is active will cause windows to create this System Volume Information directory on the flash cart slot you have selected each and every time. Again, I've done the regedit trick and have changed the option for the system libraries on removable media option I can't tell you have many times. None of it seems to stick. The registry entry is still present and what it should be, but the other option regarding to not include the removable media in system libraries option through group policy editor keeps reverting back every time I reboot the PC. And I am the administrator so...no idea what the heck that is about.

At this point I have tiny netbook that is like 5 years old that still has XP installed on it and it works fantastically with the flash cart so I've been using that.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-
  • Like 2

So.. I do a CD F: to switch to the F: drive.

Do a DIR command and you will see there is appears to be nothing on it. This isn't true. The next command needs to be:

ATRRIB -h -s -r "system volume information"

You will be returned a ready prompt

... or DIR /A and you'll see everything!

To delete the folder and all of it's content in one shot:

RMDIR /S "system volume information"

• Like 1

... or DIR /A and you'll see everything!

To delete the folder and all of it's content in one shot:

RMDIR /S "system volume information"

I will give that a shot! Thanks. As you can tell I'm old school using the legacy DOS commands as I listed. But I will give these shortcuts a try. Certainly will made the batch file that much smaller to be ran before copying the rom over.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what I'll be doing this weekend...or sooner. :-D

attachicon.gif7800 Rewritable Cart.JPG

I received mine yesterday. The problem is both of my 7800's are in for repairs and or upgrades. So it will be a while before I get to test mine out.

14681706_10154518947339536_8427660813969

And here is mine with the POKEY installed.

67688736-B7BD-4CE9-AE81-0552FA4FD642_zps

Edited by groundtrooper
  • Like 2

Nice! Ordering a POKEY is next on my list.

I am going to go out and hit a Fallout Games store near my home and pick up the cheapest PolePosition II card I can find and gut it and mod it as needed to put the PCB in. Then maybe rig up a label for it. I wish I knew how much and the early birds who got one of these modded their carts to make room for the PCB. I guess I will figure it out.

I have an extra Pole Position and will also re-purpose its shell.

Well, I couldn't wait. I started loading ROMs and have already added 10 to the cart. (including the two pictured below). This cart is extremely easy to set up. Of course I have read through this thread and used my Windows 7 laptop to burn the ROMs.

My thanks to Juan F. Mateos for providing the community with this Multi-Cart. I recommend it. :thumbsup:

post-21941-0-67316400-1476394982_thumb.jpg post-21941-0-71582300-1476394992_thumb.jpg

• Like 2