IGNORED

imagic game release order?

broncoman

Since we're on the topic of Imagic, I love the posters that they created for many of their games. Is there a complete list of the posters they made somewhere?

I would love to get a poster for Fire Fighter, Fathom, Moonsweeper and Solar Storm

I remember seeing the first advert in Electronic Games for Imagic. I was so excited about them. To me me, Demon Attack was the full package: great game, brilliant box, manual, cartridge. I never regretted buying an Imagic game.

You can find out some relative information about release dates by searching the US Copyright Database. It's does not tell you exactly when a game came onto market, because there games were not "released" the same way they are now back then, but you can at least use it to help line-up when events took place.

I had to use the "Name" search to search for Imagic, but also the "Title" search for Demon Attack.

You can also use the US Trademark database to cross reference what you find. I used the "Owner" search and put in "Imagic".

None of this data is perfect because companies back then did a terrible job of filing trademarks and copyrights, but it's still an interesting source.

Happy hunting and good luck with your research.

Edited by fultonbot
  • Like 1

Here is the trademark record for Solar Storm. Not sure if this has a usable date or not:

Word Mark SOLAR STORM Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 028. US 022 038. G & S: Video Game Cartridges. FIRST USE: 19830421. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19830429 Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING Serial Number 73424633 Filing Date May 5, 1983 Current Basis 1A Original Filing Basis 1A Published for Opposition March 20, 1984 Registration Number 1281690 Registration Date June 12, 1984 Owner (REGISTRANT) Imagic CORPORATION CALIFORNIA 981 University Ave. Los Gatos CALIFORNIA 95030 Attorney of Record Bruce L. Davis Type of Mark TRADEMARK Register PRINCIPAL Live/Dead Indicator DEAD Cancellation Date November 19, 1990

There two significant dates in the trademark:

Filing Date May 5, 1983

FIRST USE: 19830421

So it could be April or May 1983. Argh! I'd go with May (IMHO).

To get it down any further, the only thing I can think of is to get to the library and scan the microfiche of newspapers, focusing on Sunday ads and see if there is a specific date when it was advertised for sale at Toys R Us or similar.

Edited by fultonbot
  • Like 1

The good news for those of use who focus on release dates in the USA, there is an end to it. We only have to find information for around 421 original games. If we only hunted down information for one game a day, we'd be close to finishing the list in a year.

Here's an example of how I search archive.org:

google.com/search?q=site%3Aarchive.org+%22Fire+Fighter%22+%22imagic%22+vcs+OR+2600+ -streaming+-manuals+-query+-%22Classic+Gamer+Magazine%22+ -%22TV+Gamer%22+-%22Digital+Press%22+-%22TeleMatch%22+ -%22Computer+%26+Video+Games+-+Issue%22+ -%22Computer+and+Video+Games+Magazine+Issue%22&ie=UTF-8

The good news for those of use who focus on release dates in the USA, there is an end to it. We only have to find information for around 421 original games. If we only hunted down information for one game a day, we'd be close to finishing the list in a year.

I'd like to chime in on this one, as I'm kind of a nut for chronology.

In my opinion, the best potential resources out there for accomplishing this are probably the "professional newsletters" like Video Game Update/Computer Entertainer, Electronic Games Arcade Express/Hotline and Logical Gamer. They tended to have shorter lead times than the actual magazines, and were more interested in covering the games quickly as soon as they came out.

For the US 2600 releases, '77-'81 are pretty easy to chronicle, as are '84 and beyond. It's really the fever-pitched market of '82-'83, when over half of the original library flooded out all at once, that takes the most extensive research to get relatively accurate dates.

Edited by Brain Breaker
  • Like 3

Regarding Solar Storm, I just did a quick search and here's what I came up with:

Video Game Update/Computer Entertainer - August, 1983 (review)

Electronic Games - August, 1983 (ad), September (mail order listing), October ("just released" mention and full review)

Logical Gamer - September, 1983 (listed as being reviewed in the next issue)

I always trust VGU/CE the most. They were painstakingly accurate, had the shortest lead times, ran a large mail-order service in southern California, and were really on top of things in the industry. Their August issue would have actually been mailed out in late July, I believe, and Solar Storm had not previously showed up on their very thorough "coming soon" lists before being reviewed. So taking that into account along with the other publications (and their typical lead times) and fultonbot's dates (the last being mid June) my best guess for actual release would be June or, more probably, July. The earlier dates (first use and filing) don't quite synch up with the published industry record, and in my experience that's pretty typical.

Edited by Brain Breaker
  • Like 2

Regarding Solar Storm, I just did a quick search and here's what I came up with:

Video Game Update/Computer Entertainer - August, 1983 (review)

Electronic Games - August, 1983 (ad), September (mail order listing), October ("just released" mention and full review)

Logical Gamer - September, 1983 (listed as being reviewed in the next issue)

I always trust VGU/CE the most. They were painstakingly accurate, had the shortest lead times, ran a large mail-order service in southern California, and were really on top of things in the industry. Their August issue would have actually been mailed out in late July, I believe, and Solar Storm had not previously showed up on their very thorough "coming soon" lists before being reviewed. So taking that into account along with the other publications (and their typical lead times) and fultonbot's dates (the last being mid June) my best guess for actual release would be June or, more probably, July. The earlier dates (first use and filing) don't quite synch up with the published industry record, and in my experience that's pretty typical.

Do you have links to those?