IGNORED

Season 5 - The New HSC - Week 14 = Mr. Do!'s Castle

S.BAZ

I've been playing on the Stella emulator, but now I'm adamant about getting myself a physical copy. This is also my first time participating in the HSC...I'm pretty stoked!

This is without a doubt the single most frustrating Atari game I have ever played...and yet, no matter how many times I let leak an expletive while reaching for that Reset switch after a death so stupid it'd taint the rest of my run, I keep playing it over and over and over. At first, I was confused, but thank goodness for AtariAge's manual scans. The game also got a lot easier once I began to understand the AI a bit better - if they're rebuilding bricks, they'll keep building until the whole platform is rebuilt, and they'll never U-turn in the middle of a platform. I feel like patience is the ultimate virtue in this game, and yet I keep getting greedy and falling into the same traps, doing myself in way too early by destroying my escape options...and I keep forgetting that you can't climb a ladder if you destroy the brick beneath it!
I'm also getting very frustrated at the controls, which apparently require pixel-perfect precision. So many times I've lost a life because I'd try and bash a brick at a very crucial moment to buy myself some time while being chased - a quick "break and bolt," if you will - and that kind of maneuver requires hammering and turning around and peeling out of there as fast as possible. But alas! I'd try to break the brick, but because Mr. Do's foot was a half-pixel too close to the brick, the hammer doesn't swing, the unicorn catches up, and I'm toast. I also feel like I'm having an extraordinary amount of trouble getting off of the ladders sometimes...
I mean, it's a great, fun, and addicting game, and I'm hoping I'll get better the more I play it. Fortunately, my expletives are the kind of "happy angry" where I'm mostly amused at the AI's ability to screw me when I've dug my own grave. It's the kind of indignation that keeps bringing you back, rather than the kind that makes you throw it away.

post-46214-0-87124000-1460964381_thumb.png

Edited by Sharkham
  • Like 3