IGNORED

Pro(c) Magazine - what happens next?

I'm helping out more with the Magazine, in my Atari world I like to think of it like Gumball where I walk along to the factory each day...

OK Pro© magazine needs three things:

#1 Everyone to buy it!
>Pro© is a printed Atari 8-bit magazine available in English or German text. Each issue comes with a link to a set of disk images for downloading. Purchasing T-Shirts and limited edition boxed software help to pay for the costs. This is not for profit. Issue #9 info. Order from http://proc-atari.de/ paypal accepted.

#2 Translation of articles from English to German
>We have one guy locked in a basement and we could do with a couple more (basements supplied) - this can include occasional or one offs and can be done at your leisure. Someone else can check your work so it makes sense.

#3 People to send in some content
>This can be anything and doesn't have to be regular contribution. Even a couple of paragraphs on something would be welcomed; a full page article is about this long...

>>> a page of text looks about this much so you can see it's really not that much of an effort to create something interesting for the readers to enjoy heck you don't even need to use any punctuation or check the spellling as we can do that for you if you want to send screenshots or photos to go along with it then that is great too so everyone look at writing one article each and send it to me in text format or an email here on atariage even if you don't think you can write I can take your notes and turn it into something but you will be surprised that you can soon do something yourself we are short of technical and hardware and programming articles but game reviews or the demo scene or podcasts or anything that might be of interest to other atari fans will be welcome perhaps you want to write about your own game and the making of it how about your first atari game and first atari experience or favourite adventure game we don't have anything on this and the magazine could become even better with more variety of content perhaps you can come up with something more creative than these ideas I have just rattled off and now it's time for this to end as my dinner is ready well it would be if I had put it in the over 15 minutes ago and don't even mention not making a pudding and there is just about enough here to fill 1 page of the magazine especially if I keep on typing a bit more and with a bit of formatting and the odd screen shot I think it will be long enough well perhaps not quite but you get the idea so you can see how easy it is to create one yourself probably?! <<<

Ok 4 things!
#4 Some feedback on the first 9 issues ;)
>Work on issue #10 has started :party:
Is there anything you would like to see in pixelated print?

• Like 2

#1 - already on it, I've purchased every issue and I usually try to buy a piece of software along with it. The nice thing about the first three releases (Caveblaster, Rolltris/Thetris & Ransack) is they are deluxe versions of software that you can find on the Pro© issue disk downloads. At first I wasn't really interested in these downloads but after working my way through them it really brings back memories of buying Page 6 magazine and some PD software.

#2 - This one is out of my reach, my German is non existent.

#3 - I keep thinking about this but can't think of a topic to cover. Games reviews (long and short) are already covered. I'll come up with something.

#4 - I thoroughly enjoy each issue. there has been a slight shift since the first issues toward more software coverage and less interviews. But that probably has something to do with getting good interviews. The only piece I don't like is the "Time for a Quickie" section. No disrespect to Snicklin but I just don't like the way the games are played cold, when he doesn't know what's going on it doesn't really give any insight into the game (good or bad). That's just a personal opinion and I am sure many people love it.

Just curious as the first issues had more of an ABBUC theme and that has all but disappeared.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reminder I forgot I had Issue 9 in my cart.

Ehh...

Hmm...I'll have to think of something. I'm still working on M.U.S.C.L.E. for the A8 but I dunno if that's really all that exciting for an article. xD

A write up about the hacks PlaySoft/Darryl1970 have done would be really cool I think.

Edited by Jinroh
  • Like 1

The only piece I don't like is the "Time for a Quickie" section. No disrespect to Snicklin but I just don't like the way the games are played cold, when he doesn't know what's going on it doesn't really give any insight into the game (good or bad). That's just a personal opinion and I am sure many people love it.

Hi! Don't worry, no offence taken here, we all have things that we do or don't like and nobody is an exception to that.

With this column, I am trying to do the work that you or anyone else would do when flicking through 1000s of titles that we don't know. Occasionally we get a gem, but there are quite a few duds. I want to be able to give the reader the impression of how they might feel after 5 or 10 minutes of playing the game which they don't know. If I was doing a conventional review of random games then it'd be like any other review, I wanted a different angle on matters.

Where possible I try to insert some humour also. I recognise that when I translate from German to English in the other articles, I'm probably removing humour along the way, either due to my understanding or because it just doesn't make sense in English. I use this column to try and inject some more back into the magazine.

I've taken on your feedback and am thinking about amending the way the findings about the game are presented to the reader. I won't go into specifics here, but you may see an improvement. It won't be in the next issue, but potentially after that one.... thanks!

• Like 1

Hi! Don't worry, no offence taken here, we all have things that we do or don't like and nobody is an exception to that.

With this column, I am trying to do the work that you or anyone else would do when flicking through 1000s of titles that we don't know. Occasionally we get a gem, but there are quite a few duds. I want to be able to give the reader the impression of how they might feel after 5 or 10 minutes of playing the game which they don't know. If I was doing a conventional review of random games then it'd be like any other review, I wanted a different angle on matters.

Where possible I try to insert some humour also. I recognise that when I translate from German to English in the other articles, I'm probably removing humour along the way, either due to my understanding or because it just doesn't make sense in English. I use this column to try and inject some more back into the magazine.

I've taken on your feedback and am thinking about amending the way the findings about the game are presented to the reader. I won't go into specifics here, but you may see an improvement. It won't be in the next issue, but potentially after that one.... thanks!

Don't feel you have to change it on my opinion. Seeing the thought behind the way you approach it actually makes a lot of sense and makes me have a better appreciation. I still read the article every issue and I can say I have tried a few of the games you mentioned.

• Like 1

#3 Markus already knows he can use Atariteca's articles. If Google automatic translator is not enough, I can translate some of them from spanish to english by request.

Regards,

- Y -

This is a good point to discuss. I have written a few articles in Pro© but I haven't published them in my blog for now (so the fanzine has some exclusive info).

I asked Powersoft about this, and still waiting (if it is fine to publish the articles after a reasonable period of time).

I've done #1.

Just today I received issues #9, #8, and #7 - couldn't be happier.

What a value! It's inexpensive and a fun read.

I just wish it was monthly. But at least for now, I still have six back issues to catch up on :)

As for contributing - I hope someday!!

It'll depend upon actually finishing a WIP. I've got 3 things going on (obviously too many, but it's always like that).

My son, age 8, is keeping me focused on a Worm of Bemer sequel, I'm calling Snake of Bemer for now....we are rewriting in Assembly language, along with update to graphics and gameplay...if we ever finish, it'd be a thrill to see it in Pro© that's for sure.

Dima, age 8, helping dad with Nerm of Bemer sequel

• Like 5

I've done #1.

Just today I received issues #9, #8, and #7 - couldn't be happier.

What a value! It's inexpensive and a fun read.

I just wish it was monthly. But at least for now, I still have six back issues to catch up on :)

As for contributing - I hope someday!!

It'll depend upon actually finishing a WIP. I've got 3 things going on (obviously too many, but it's always like that).

My son, age 8, is keeping me focused on a Worm of Bemer sequel, I'm calling Snake of Bemer for now....we are rewriting in Assembly language, along with update to graphics and gameplay...if we ever finish, it'd be a thrill to see it in Pro© that's for sure.

Don't worry, you can contribute without getting your game finished.

I did a game though it was years back and nobody knew it. All you have to do it release something to Z8-bit@proc-atari.deZ (remove the Z characters) which is your best recollection of the 8-bit period or what you think of it now. Just write something coherent and from your heart and it should be included.

MESSAGE TO ALL READERS OF THIS MESSAGE:

After posting my last post, I'd like to make a big, big call out to everyone:

You don't need to be an expert writer, you don't need to have had some kind of game release or big experience with Atari. If you write a nice article for Pro© Atari, as long as it doesn't clash with some other article, in time, perhaps not in the next issue but within a few, it can be published.

I was a nobody in Atari terms, I'm only known because I translate some articles and then went on to write a few myself. You can all do the same. Just make it readable, coherent and fun to read and you may see it published in time to come.

• Like 3

"Pro© Magazine - what happens next?"

Instant answer: Issue 10 - and collecting some software for the disks and articles for the paper-magazine... ;-)

Currently the P.A.M. has its weight on games, but it would be cool if we would also get some (regular?) article writers for e.g.:

1) old or new A8 hardware (max. 2 pages, with one or two pictures), 2) old/new A8 applications/tools/utilities (max. 2 pages and a picture/screenshot; I would prefer articles about native A8 applications and if they are PD they could be presented on the PAM disks), 3) old/new A8 demos/intros/gfx/msx (max. 2 pages and maybe a picture/screenshot; some of this stuff is already on the PAM disks)...

P.S.: To all celebrities out there: Please stop dying in 2016 !

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

"Pro© Magazine - what happens next?"

Instant answer: Issue 10 - and collecting some software for the disks and articles for the paper-magazine... ;-)

Currently the P.A.M. has its weight on games, but it would be cool if we would also get some (regular?) article writers for e.g.:

1) old or new A8 hardware (max. 2 pages, with one or two pictures), 2) old/new A8 applications/tools/utilities (max. 2 pages and a picture/screenshot; I would prefer articles about native A8 applications and if they are PD they could be presented on the PAM disks), 3) old/new A8 demos/intros/gfx/msx (max. 2 pages and maybe a picture/screenshot; some of this stuff is already on the PAM disks)...

P.S.: To all celebrities out there: Please stop dying in 2016 !

Andreas, mein Beileid.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...