IGNORED

How many want a 5200 version of Yar's Revenge?

BIGHMW

112 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy or want an Atari 5200 version of Yar's Revenge???

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I most certainly do, I wondered if any 5200 version was ever planned, because I definitely would buy it if it did come out, an addictive and classic game for the 2600, now let's have one for OUR system, without having to buy the VCS adapter just to get it.

Make it happen AtariAge!!! I will buy it when it comes out!!!

• Like 1

Why would you have to rename it? "Atari" has been pretty good about tolerating home-brews from here. And you could ask HSW for "permission" to adapt it to the 5200. Hell, he'd probably offer advice up on how to improve the original to make it a true "5200" experience. Although he didn't program for the 5200, he was aware of the A8's abilities; he just chose to stick with the 2600 back-in-the-day because of its huge install base. [i asked him last year when I met him].

Here's some game play of Jar's:

Now the C64 adaptation is a 16K cart. It's possible a lot of that memory was used solely on the title screens and the soundtrack.

Use 32K or some of the more modern bank switching techniques to do the game right on the 5200. Decide whether the analog joysticks should be used - or supported at least - or if it should just use 8-directional instead. And since the C64 folks focused on SID'ing it up on the title screen, get one of the POKEY audio wizards to crank out a rival piece for the 5200 version's title screen.

What little of the game play I've seen of the C64 version, I don't think it plays aggressive enough as the original does. It's too subtle.

Yeah a direct port would be pointless.

How about adding some stages in between boards. Maybe like the game Blaster where you're collecting astronauts for points you could have that perspective of flying through space collecting points and maybe blasting away enemies.

Utilize the second fire button somehow - maybe for a special weapon.

How about having the ability to shoot the homing missile for points? And then the missile just regenerates after destroying it.

Exactly, this is basically it. Just add the intro text Yars Revenge and viola lol

...and put it in 5200 cartridge form, and you know that at the time of its eventual release, I would be one of the first to buy it!!! ....and make it as great if not greater than that sweet-looking C64 version!!!

• Like 1

How about adding the Yar's 2 from the Flashback too?

Let's see how well the first Yar's Revenge for the 5200 port goes and then we'll discuss sequels.

Hey, it's just like the fact that there were never any plans for any sequels to Star Wars in the works back in 1977 until George Lucas (and as a result of the billions of dollars in sales of Star Wars-related merch) made them happen, first by putting out The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V) in 1980 and then re-releasing Star Wars in 1981 while adding "Episode IV - A New Hope" onto the top of the opening crawl.

Edited by BIGHMW

Let's see how well the first Yar's Revenge for the 5200 port goes and then we'll discuss sequels.

Hey, it's just like the fact that there were never any plans for any sequels to Star Wars in the works back in 1977 until George Lucas (and as a result of the billions of dollars in sales of Star Wars-related merch) made them happen, first by putting out The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V) in 1980 and then re-releasing Star Wars in 1981 while adding "Episode IV - A New Hope" onto the top of the opening crawl.

A sequel was already in the works. George had Alan Dean Foster write Splinter of the Mind's Eye as a planned sequel in the advent if Star Wars didn't do very well at the box office and thus they'd be restrained with a much smaller budget. That's why Luke & Leia are stuck on the planet, Han & Chewie aren't around, but Luke still ends up fighting Vader.

But back to the game, I think that A8 version looks too much like the 2600 version because the original graphics were used. You'd/we'd want the graphics to look just as good as the C64 version, well, because!

• Like 2

I'd like a faithful arcade of Space Fury for 5200.

I would be game for it, but also, how about an improved/completed version of Asteroids using the prototype much like they finished Tempest and turned it into the beauty it is. Perhaps also finish Stargate so I can TRULY enjoy the entire Defender Trilogy (Defender, Stargate and Robotron: 2084) as a series. BTW, how about a port for RealSports Hockey (they already have baseball, football, basketball and soccer (the REAL football not that American garbage, as I am an Arsenal fan, COYG!!!) and also one of Space Duel and also Quantum, Liberator, Major Havoc, Marble Madness, and Food Fight

I would be game for it, but also, how about an improved/completed version of Asteroids using the prototype much like they finished Tempest and turned it into the beauty it is. Perhaps also finish Stargate so I can TRULY enjoy the entire Defender Trilogy (Defender, Stargate and Robotron: 2084) as a series. BTW, how about a port for RealSports Hockey (they already have baseball, football, basketball and soccer (the REAL football not that American garbage, as I am an Arsenal fan, COYG!!!) and also one of Space Duel and also Quantum, Liberator, Major Havoc, Marble Madness, and Food Fight

Real Sports Hockey for sure !!

• Like 1

I'd only be interested in seeing a Yars' game that got the Adventure II treatment. Bigger, more to do, better graphics/sound/etc, and worthy of the 5200. A straight port, or even a port with updated graphics/etc that's still the same game at heart, would be pointless to me.

What I'd *really* like to see is more original games and fewer ports of games we've all played a billion times elsewhere. (Goes for other systems, too.)

(the REAL football not that American garbage...)

Aw, that's cute. :)

• Like 2